• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Audi r8 and audi a5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi r8 and audi a5

I have a red r8 and the paint is in good condition the only thing I can see in bright sunlight are like spyder web swirls in the paint. I just gotta porter da polisher and have UC and UP. The car currently was clayed and nxt wax applied. Do I have to strip off the nxt wax or is it ok to wash and re clay? If I have to strip the nxt what is the easiest way to get it off?

i assume I should do one panel with UP before going straight to UC?

The a5 is brand new so I assume just UP as the paint is pretty clean, no swirls or anything, just want to get the paint to pop. It's Shiraz wine colored so like a dark burgundy metallic.

I then plan to finish with nxt sealant. Any advise on Audi paint? I have never used a da polisher and am going to practice on my 2008 acura mdx, that will need everything as the paint has tons of scratches and swirls. See how that goes then move into the new cars

Nice car!

No need to strip the wax first, as the clay will do that for you.

Try UP on a test spot first and see if that gives the results you're looking for. If not, step up to UC. That should get rid of your swirls, then you can finish up with UP to refine the finish and remove any possible marring caused by UC.

Once you've dialled in your process, you would (say) do UC on the whole car, then go back and UP the whole car, then go back and apply wax to the whole car.

Audi paint is generally known to be hard, in which case, UP wont do much in terms of removing swirls. Every car is different though, hence the importance of a test spot(s).
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Re: Audi r8 and audi a5

First of all welcome to the site.

Seeing as you just got the DA did you also get pads and a backing plate?

No need to strip NXT since you are going to polish and/or compound. The abrasives in the product will remove NXT. In addition to that dish soap (dawn, etc...) or clay may or may not strip a sealant. For a wax I would say yes it will be stripped. But clay is definitely recommended. Use the baggie test to see if you need to clay or not. Search on here or google and you will see what I mean.

As Davey already stated start with a test spot. Let the paint tell you how it will respond.

Audi is typically on the hard side and Acura is typically on the soft side. So a test spot is important.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

I just re-read your post. I didn't realise you had two Audis.

So for the A5, yes you're right UP may be enough, but again, a test spot is recommended.

I terms of practicing on your Honda, be aware that you're dealing with a car on the opposite end of the spectrum there (generally speaking) as far as paint hardness. In general Hondas have soft paint, but again every car is different. So practicing on the Honda is great in terms of getting a feel for the technique etc,, but as far as the products required, it will probably be very different to the Audis.
        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Yes I got the meguiar's backing plate to use with w8006 and w9006 pads. I bought two of each pad. So I should not worry about messing up the paint on the 2 audi's? Kind of nervous about it, but I spend 4 hours doing it by hand and if a machine can give me a better result why not.

Any recommendations for tires. So far have used only the spray on no touch stuff.

Comment

Endurance is one of my favorite tire shine products. I like the gel version because it's easier to control the application.

Comment

Watch some of the videos so you understand the idea of DA polishing. Then try a test spot. You may be nervous at first but you will get the hang of it and get more comfortable. A DA polisher will not burn the paint if that is what you are afraid of. One other tip is to keep the pad clean as you go.

With tires be sure to give them a good cleaning. You can pick up a bottle of Hot Rims All Wheel & Tire Cleaner. Spray it on and agitate with a brush. Repeat until all you get is white suds. Then apply your tire dressing of choice once the tires are dry. My go to tire dressing is D163 Tire & trim Gel from the detailer line.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

I can attest to the hardness of Audi paint. Water spots are a b!t*h to remove. I have found the 5" MF disks to be a better choice for the D300. 3" disc will allow you to aggressively attack stubborn spots. I have learned to be patient and work small areas. It is important to fully prime that pad. Just completed a three step process on our black S5. It had severe water spots back in May(aliens?). I used D300, UP with the MF finishing pad, and UW with a 4" foam pad, all on the DA. This is the THIRD time I have done this series of steps since May, and I can say that it now looks flawless.

Comment

So I used the porter cable on my 2008 acura mdx. Washed, clayed and then used 9006 pad with UC. Did 1 section of the hood went over it about 3 times. Most of the scratches are out but still some remain in the clear coat. How many passes are normal or do I switch to UP and will that take out the fine swirl scratch marks. It's silver metallic paint. Each time I pressed down with more pressure. I would say 75% of the scratches are out.

Comment

How many passes?

Comment

Working on my r8. Washed and clayed. Using PC wth UC on speed 5. Have made 3 passes over 1 section. I would say 70% of the scratches are out. They are all clear coat swirls like spiderwebs that are only visible in the sunlight. I then used UP which I didn't notice much change. I am using a yellow meguiars foam pad with UC. Do I need a more aggressive compound to get the clear coat swirls out? I heard audi paint is pretty hard. Should I be able to get out 100% of these swirls out?

Comment

You could try a few more passes with UC. What speed were you using UP? Are you using slow arm movement? Downward pressure is another factor?

If you still desire more correction then I would consider the DAMF system or at least the microfiber cutting pads and D300. They cut through hard paint like butter. I experienceed this on my Camaro and my dad's Camaro which both had hard paint.
                        99 Grand Prix
                        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Agreed.

Assuming your technique is ok, then the paint is probably too hard for UC and foam (as suspected).

Get yourself the DAMF system. If you don't have enough money for the entire DAMF system, just get the MF cutting pads and use your UC with those. That should make a big difference.

It would be beneficial doing some research on the do's and don'ts of using MF pads, as they're a bit different to use than foam pads..

Comment

UP speed 3. Using like 10lbs of pressure. Going very slow. I've read good things about wolf gangs uber compound? Any thoughts?

Comment

Also it is a flat red color, does that make it harder to correct then metallic???

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');