• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratches Reappear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratches Reappear

Hi folks,

I've got a little concern with a few scratches in my metallic paint in the clearcoat. My fingernail doesn't get caught in the scratch so they're removable but wont budge.

Using Ultimate Coumpound by hand on a prepared surface, i can completely remove the scratches, followed up by UP and ULW the affected area is almost invisible. Result. But now comes the issue.

Several days later, or a wash using the correct methods, the sctatches completely reappear in all their original glory. I though UC was a permanent messure?

As I'm sure many can appreciate, seeing them back and in bright sun light is a huge frustration.

Any advice would be welcome please.

How can you be sure they are the same exact scratches?
    If you fully remove the scratches then, they are gone.
    And any scratches you see after a few days or after a wash are new scratches.

Comment

What do you use to dry your car with after you wash it?

Comment

Re: Scratches Reappear

Hi Tim,

On the passenger side of the car, there's a very distinctive cross hatched type scratch that was on the vehicle prior to purchase. That's the scratch that's removed but re-appears.

For washing, I use the two bucket method with a grit guard in the rinse bucket, Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash and the Meguiars Water Magnet with the Meguiars Wash Mitt. Sometimes I drag it across the Water Magnet across the paint very lightly, other times I'll dab the towel on a small section at a time.

They're most defiantly the same scratches. 100%.

Comment

Could very well be a compound or polish residue remaining in the scratch giving you the impression the scratch is removed. The subsequent wash is pulling the residue out of the "covered in" scratch, and revealing it again. In effect you won't have really removed the scratch in the first instance.

Are you viewing the scratch under a decent light source during and after the repair (sunlight will work really well too)?

Perhaps an IPA solution (Isopropyl Alcohol mixture) wiped gently over the repaired area would help. The IPA works to remove any remaining residue or oils that are remaining on the painted surface. This will allow you to determine if the scratch is truly removed or simply covered.

If you can, post up a picture of the scratch.

Comment

Question, how did you verify that the scratch has been removed?
            Scratches are tricky because there are one where it has to catch a certain angle of light to be visible.
            UC is an abrasive and works by removing the surround clearing coat and in effect leveling them. Hence, it is absolutely impossible for a scratch to re-appear if done correctly. Once you remove paint, you can't bring it back without a respray.
            In addition, anything with oil potentially has filling capabilities. If what Selectchoice stated isn't the case, my other guess is that you did not level the paint enough... but enough that it would seem to have been removed. Nonetheless, when you catch it at the correct angle of light, it manifest itself.
            2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Comment

Hi,

I've posted 4 pictures of the scratches in question. The first image I've just taken is of the cross hatched scratch I previously mentioned, viewed in direct sunlight after 3 hand applications of UC, 1 application of UP and an application of ULW, if I run my nail along the paintwork, the scratch has some depth, just enough for me to be able to feel it but it's far from deep. When repaired, the color of the scratches changes to a shade of blue just a tad darker than the vehicle, meaning it is still visible.

The other 3 were caused by driving down narrow country lanes with long grass hedges, these are all over the left hand side of the car, particularly at the bottom of the vehicle and most can only be seen in specific lighting conditions, usually when sat on the floor looking up to the sky, they too have a very minor depth to them.

All scratches have have multiple applications of Ultimate Compound using the correct technique. I would be able to live with them if they stayed like this constantly, but I can't keep repairing them.

The condition of the paint is perfect when the sun is behind a cloud, but when it pops back out the left side of the car has a good spread of these minor scratches which seem erepairable.

Comment

Those scratches look deep.
                Not sure if they can be leveled by hand.... at least personally, I wouldn't bother trying by hand.
                My guess... minimum... its MF cutting pad territory.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt response.

I had contemplated buying the DA Power System, do you think it would be more effective on these imperfections?

Is there an alternative product to UC that could be applied by hand which would have more of an effect?

Comment

If you need to do this by hand, wet sanding is an option but unless you have experience with it, it is not recommended.
                    The reason being, as one can imagine, wet sanding even with 3000 grit, it will be relatively easy to compromise what is already thin factory clear coat.

Comment

Thanks again for the response. To polish the area afterwards, could that still be done to a sufficient level by hand?

Comment

To be honest, I have never removed 3000grit wet sanding marks by hand.
                        MF cutting pad and M105 on a DA is what I have used to remove them. But in theory, you should be able to but I would imagine it will take some elbow grease..... lots of it.

Again, if you have never wet sanded, I would strongly recommend against it as it will be easy to go thru your clear coat.

Comment

I totally agree with "C8N", step away from any sanding. The damage that can be done just isn't worth the chance.

You mentioned getting the DA attachment...good choice. But from the looks of the depth of that scratch, it is doubtful that it will be removed.

My only idea is to get the surrounding area leveled as best you can (don't keep just working on the scratch itself). Get all of any leftover compound(s) out of the scratch and use a non-whitening wax, like Ultimate LIQUID Wax to keep it protected.

Just my 2

Comment

Originally posted by FocusSmudge View Post
                            Hi,

I've posted 4 pictures of the scratches in question. The first image I've just taken is of the cross hatched scratch I previously mentioned, viewed in direct sunlight after 3 hand applications of UC, 1 application of UP and an application of ULW, if I run my nail along the paintwork, the scratch has some depth, just enough for me to be able to feel it but it's far from deep. When repaired, the color of the scratches changes to a shade of blue just a tad darker than the vehicle, meaning it is still visible.

The other 3 were caused by driving down narrow country lanes with long grass hedges, these are all over the left hand side of the car, particularly at the bottom of the vehicle and most can only be seen in specific lighting conditions, usually when sat on the floor looking up to the sky, they too have a very minor depth to them.

All scratches have have multiple applications of Ultimate Compound using the correct technique. I would be able to live with them if they stayed like this constantly, but I can't keep repairing them.

The condition of the paint is perfect when the sun is behind a cloud, but when it pops back out the left side of the car has a good spread of these minor scratches which seem erepairable.

Hey Smudge,

Those scratches look white? i think that is the primer showing through (ford focus?)...on a similar journey myself.

Having recently bought a DA, i can confirm that it's a different level compared to what i achieved by hand.

If you have not yet bought a DA i can direct you to a good purchase (bargain) if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by steve b View Post
                              Hey Smudge,

Those scratches look white? i think that is the primer showing through (ford focus?)...on a similar journey myself.

Having recently bought a DA, i can confirm that it's a different level compared to what i achieved by hand.

If you have not yet bought a DA i can direct you to a good purchase (bargain) if need be.
                              Hi fella,

Thanks for the response.

It is indeed a Ford Focus and there is white within some of the scratches. Any info on a cheap DA would be appreciated, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');