• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about White Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions about White Wax

Whoops, my mistake then... thought I had read different... oh well... it happens.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Good thread for colorx.

You sure it doesn't sits in a museum......that Celica looks beautiful most of them you see now of days are oxidated with clear coat failure
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Stoops View Post
        Both White Wax and Black Wax use SMAT abrasives, but the abrasive load in Black Wax is quite low while in White Wax it's actually quite high.

With that out of the way, it must be said that either of these can be used on any color paint as neither contain any sort of pigments, dyes or colorants. While it may seem odd at first to select White Wax when working on a dark colored vehicle, it can be a huge benefit if the goal is to remove some level of defect and apply wax protection at the same time. Essentially, when doing a "one step" detail, White Wax may very well become your new best friend.

Have a look at this article to get a feel for what White Wax alone can do to a very neglected white finish, in this case on a Dodge Sprinter Van. As the article points out, WW was treated as if it were a compound during the application. That means speed 5 on the DA, not speed 3; a polishing pad instead of a finishing pad; moderate pressure instead of light pressure; small work area instead of covering the whole vehicle; slow arm movements instead of working quickly; repeated passes over a given area instead of just one or two.

OK, so that was on a white vehicle, how about a darker color? Again, as a one step, WW proves itself to be nothing short of amazing. Treated as compound and not a wax, on a metallic black 2012 Jaguar XJL sedan, below are before and after close ups of the paint after a single application. Applied with a DA buffer on paint that did not like the DA Microfiber System (it caused quite a bit of haze on this car), WW was an absolute champion. The whole intent when this car was detailed was for the paint to be "shined up" and not fully corrected. The car owner was not looking for a true show car shine, he was not looking for perfection. He just wanted the paint shiny again. A true "one step" situation if ever there was one. And talk about exceeding the customer's expectations!

This is what we started with - heavy swirls in black paint with a fair amount of blue metal flake in it. All those swirls made the paint look really dull and lifeless from a few feet away.

After a single pass (up and down, side to side, X3) with White Wax that was treated like a compound during application. Wipe off was immediately after buffing, and we even did a double IPA wipe down following the application just to make sure we weren't just hiding things. Yes, there is still a visible RID in this shot - bit whoop. Look at the difference in a single go. With a "consumer grade" wax!!! No haze, no marring, just a beautifully reflective paint. And remember, this paint was easily hazed by the DAMF System, so WW is not scouring the surface at all.

Bottom line - if you're looking for a really fast way to make a huge improvement in the finish of a vehicle, regardless of the color, use White Wax the same way you'd normally use Ultimate Compound, and call it a day. Quik Tip: when you're done with the WW application, give the whole vehicle a final wipe down with Ultimate Quik Wax (or D156 Synthetic Express Spray Wax) to ensure that you've removed all wax residue while adding some additional polymer protection at the same time.
        Mike, is there any benefits/advantage of working in the WW and letting it haze (more like a traditional Wax or Sealant) before removing it as opposed to just working it in and wiping it off immediately?

Comment

Depends what you're trying to achieve with it.

If you're using WW more for it's protection, (whilst still doing some light cleaning on the way), then yes, you would let it haze and then wipe off.
          Originally posted by Blueline
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Paging Mr.Stoops

Mike, is there any benefits/advantage (lasting longer) of working in the WW and letting it haze (more like a traditional Wax or Sealant) before removing it as opposed to just working it in and wiping it off immediately?

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');