• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Wax? Cleaner vs. Gold Class vs. White vs. NXT Tech 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Wax? Cleaner vs. Gold Class vs. White vs. NXT Tech 2.0

Hey guys. I'm 16, and am preparing for a total makeover detail (thread coming soon, lol) on my first car, a 2005 Toyota 4Runner. Silver paint.

I started a detailing business over the summer (with Meguiar's being my go-to brand and this website helping a ton), and plan to make this detail the best my skills will allow. As far as paint care I plan on:

Wash: Wash twice with Meguiar's Gold Class wash, dry using wet-towel method
    Clay Bar: Bought Meguiar's Smooth Shine Clay Bar Kit today
    Compound: Meguiar's Ultimate Compound on a 6" DA Polisher
    Polish: Meguiar's Ultimate Polish on a 6" DA Polisher

Wax: No idea

I currently have two bottles of Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. From research I understand the abrasives in the cleaner wax, etc. But I am caught between not wanting to spend a bunch more money on more wax and wanting my car to look as good as possible as long as possible. The problem I have with dropping $19 on NXT 2.0 is that I don't plan on doing all this polishing every time. This is a DD, so wouldn't a wash/cleaner wax be better?

So my options are this:
    Use the Cleaner Wax
    Meguiar's White Wax (about $11; I saw it for the first time today and know nothing about it)
    Meguiar's Gold Class Paste Wax (Also about $11)
    Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0 ($18.99)

What would you guys do? I didn't even know about the White Wax until this morning, and the Sticky about White Wax makes it seem pretty good. I also learned today about layering Cleaner wax and Gold. I'm not sure.

P.S. I'm also doing this:

Trim: Turtle Wax Trim Restorer
    Chrome: Mother's Chrome Polish
    Aluminum Wheels: No idea

Can I use Chrome Polish on the rims? It's stock Toyota rims, not show car or anything. Idk if they are a mirror finish or not. But I guess I said that on a Chevy the other day, and those could have passed as a mirror when I was done with them. That was using a metal polish though, which I am out of.

Thing is, you probably have more experience thank do, but I have used each of the products you mentioned. I have a silver car and so far the Ultimate Liquid wax has been my favorite. Since you are already doing the rest of the work, go ahead and spend the money on the stuff. It does great things on lighter colors.

The gold class is superb as well, especially on darker paint, but doesn't last as long as the NXT or ultimate.

The ultimate wax behaves differently than the cleaner wax so take a look at a few threads on here, but I think you'll be pleased. The shines really lasts.

Comment

Re: Which Wax? Cleaner vs. Gold Class vs. White vs. NXT Tech 2.0

Ok. The problem was that I never saw Ultimate Wax at the stores I looked at (Wal-Mart and 2 automotive). If I do find it you think that Ultimate Wax is better than NXT 2.0?

Also what I forgot to mention was that since it's a DD, I have a lot of RIDS on the driver side. Is this safe to compound over?

Comment

UW will last a bit longer than NXT 2.0. If your budget won't allow you to buy UW, just get a bottle of NXT - it's still a great sealant. In fact many (myself included) think NXT looks better on silver vehicles.
        Originally posted by Blueline
        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Ok. I'm guessing I'll spend the extra money on Tech Wax.

Any opinions on the White Wax?

Comment

If u plan on running ur little detail business then ur gonna want to invest in a few different waxes. It boils down to what the customer wants and what will he pay for. If the whole 9 of compound, polish, wax, then I say u should either use ultimate wax or nxt also throw gold class and m26 in there

If its just a basic wash and wax then it just depends on the shape of the paint. White wax and black wax are sort of a cleaner/polishing wax, with white having more cleaning and black more polishing. And yes u can use black wax on a white care. But is better suited for a darker car as white is lighter colored cars. If the paints in in good shape use these., if the paint is worn looking or has alot of defects but doesn't want to pay u for compounding then this is where u use ur cleaner wax. And if the paint is perfect than obviously use ur basic sealants or waxes like nxt.

So u can see why u should have a few of different products in ur arsenal. Since ur young and just starting then a few different type of waxes is all u really need along with ur ultimate compound and polish. That's enuf to get ur business going. And I assume alot of ur customers are gonna b ur young friends and family who will just want the basic.

Have u thought about investing into the detailer line for ur product supplies. They're not much more expensive than the consumer line but u get a gallon and most u dillute which gives u more product this saving u sum cash in the end. Just check it out.

Comment

If you want a quick detail then a clay and cleaner wax is the way to go. White wax and black wax use SMAT technology so they offer better cleaning then the maroon bottle. White wax having the most cleaning power. You have seen that in the white wax sticky so you understand why it's a great product.

If you want longer term protection then go with a synthetic. On my daily I use either M21 or ultimate wax and polish once or twice a year and maintain in between with a spray wax in D156. I prefer to use a synthetic rather than a cleaner wax as I prefer not to wax/polish more often.

I agree in checking out the detailer line. Buying in bulk may be expensive up front but will save you in the long run.

I'm also in agreement that not every client wants a full correction. So be sure to adjust your prices accordingly and most importantly educate your customers on the different levels of detailing.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by J4G View Post
                Ok. I'm guessing I'll spend the extra money on Tech Wax.

Any opinions on the White Wax?
                White wax is a cleaner wax with SMAT abrasives+ a little bit of polishing oils for added gloss, and carnauba+polymers for wax protection.

It's my go to product when ultimate compound is to much, but ultimate polish is a bit to weak to correct the paint to my liking. (regardless of the paint color as I've used it on damaged black paint with good results)

It can remove some serious defects when worked in properly and even haze some softer paints...

In the case of the opening post I'd say go with a pure wax without cleaners or abrasives, since you're compounding and polishing the paint anyway.

In the meguiars consumer line those would be: deep crystal carnauba wax, NXT2.0, Gold Class carnauba plus premium, and Ultimate Paste (Liquid) Wax. but anny good wax without cleaners will do.

Comment

If you are going to UC and UP the car, IMO, there is no point of a cleaner wax or white wax.
                  However, AIO like white wax is great to have on one step details. AIO or All In One is a combo of polish and wax and time saver for a one step detail.

Also, I noticed that you said you will wash the car twice.... any reason? No harm as long as it is done correctly but seems like overkill.
                  2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Comment

I go over each panel twice to make sure I don't miss anything. I watch the AMMO NYC and DRIVE Clean videos all the time, and in one of them Larry explains why you should do it twice. I forgot exactly why but I just do it.

And I don't wash the whole car, dry, then wash again. For example I'll wash the front driver's side fender, spray the soap off, wash again, spray again, and then move on.

Ok. I'm pretty sure i'll get NXT 2.0 now (I am yet to find Ultimate in a local store; NXT 2.0 isn't even at Wal-Mart, had to go to an auto store). If I'm going to spend $12 on wax instead of what I have, I might as well spend the $20 and make it look as eye-popping as possible.

Comment

Hmm that's crazy, do you live in a small town? I can find ultimate liquid wax everywhere here, and my town is like 50-60k people
                      GO GREEN WASH N' WAX 119 Morton St Yuba City, CA 95991 (530) 301-5300
                      http://www.yubacitydetailing.com http://www.google.com/+yubacitydetailing http://www.youtube.com/yubacitydetailing

Comment

Don't just look at the auto stores for UWax...even Ace Hardware caries it.

Living in a SMALL town (10,000) I've seen UWax in 5 locations.

Keep searching...

Bill

Comment

ColorX is a great cleaner wax too.

Comment

NXT 2.0 is tops in my books. If you are going to go through the hassle of waxing a car, might as well use the best stuff you can get.

It lasts a real long time and leaves a great shine. I recommend the paste over the liquid though as I find it less messy (and you use less of it). A can of the paste wax typically lasts me 3 years and I wax maybe 3-4 cars a year.

For advice on the other products. I typically hate Mother's products, but the Chrome Polish is an excellent product. Haven't found a decent alloy rim cleaner yet.

And for trim, you might not be able to find it, but there's a product out there made by Stoner's called "Trim Shine". It comes in an aerosol can and you spray it on. It doesn't last very long, but man you can't beat the shine and since it's a spray on, you get a very even look. When I use other "rub on" (ie Mother's Back to Black) products, usually one part is really shiny and another is dull and it can vary a lot. Trim Shine makes it look very uniform.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');