• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Fire Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Fire Truck

Hi,

I bought a 1971 fire truck for a side business I've started. Most of the finish is in good shape except the front and roof. I went to our local auto store and he recommended a rubbing compound then Meguiar's cleaner wax.
    I did the front and it looked pretty good for a while but now it's dull again. i waxed it, then the next day it's dull. I can't get it to stay. I must have screwed something up with the rubbing compound. Any suggestions? Thanks for having me on this site.

Re: Old Fire Truck

Was it ever painted? I would assume single stage but to be sure, is it single stage or clear coat?
    2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Comment

Re: Old Fire Truck

May need some #7 to hydrate the paint.
      2011 Ford Mustang GT Cali Special
      2012 Kia Sorento EX

Comment

Definitely a single stage, don't think clear coat came until the late late 70's. however r u doing this by hand or da?
        #7 might need to b applied first to let it rehydrate in a sense, if ur doing by machine I say use m105 followed by m205, and wax with ultimate wax. By hand I say ultimate compound followed with ultimate polish and wax with ultimate wax. Pictures are always extremely useful in helping us give more accurate suggestions so we know more of what were dealing with.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');