• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ULW streaking problem fixed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ULW streaking problem fixed?

I'm using UPW now and liking it. However, I prefer liquids. My ULW I bought in 2012 streaked badly on my dark grey paint. I've read that the formula has been tweaked. Is this true? I want to buy some ULW, but I don't want to waste the money if the problem is still there.

Also, so, is it true the streaks are easy to remove or just seem to disappear on their own?

Thanks.

Re: ULW streaking problem fixed?

Hasn't been tweaked as far as I know.

The streaking isn't too hard to overcome. You can either:

1. Lightly mist some water onto a MF towel and buff away; or
    2. As above but with a QD; or
    3. Use a different application method to that of a traditional wax. Instead of applying to the whole car and then buffing off, apply to one (or two) panels at a time and buff off within 5 minutes; or
    4. Use the paste version (as you've discovered); or
    5. Some people have said that the streaks go away by themselves, or after the first wash. I'm not sure about that one...
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Adding more to what has been stated, you want to apply very thin. That helps as well.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Apply very thin and do the swipe test to tell when ready to buff off.

Comment

To ensure even coverage, applying two thin coats is more effective than applying one heavy coat.

Comment

When I first started using it, I intentionally made streaks to understand what made them. I machine apply most of my wax and found overworking it causes streaks. Apply it and move on. Trying to work it over and over to get good coverage is counterproductive. Apply a second coat, 12 to 24 hours after the first to insure coverage. By hand, applying it too thick will make streaks. "Thin to Win".

Although I'd have to dig deep in the archives for the comment from a long, long time ago, but I believe the formula was tweaked shortly after introduction. Somewhere in the archives it says how little product you need to use to wax a car. Thin to Win.

For me, I don't believe the swipe test works works with ULW; I don't use a swipe test. Usually apply and remove in a pattern. Apply to two doors and half the roof. Then apply to hood, remove from doors and roof, apply to front quarters and remove hood, apply to other half of roof and one rear quarter and remove front quarters, etc, etc. Some pattern that works for you.

Or apply it to the whole car, eat lunch then buff it off. I've left sections overnight and buffed the next morning. Piece of cake.

Amazing reflections, but advance prep work will determine how the outcome looks. Love the stuff, use it almost exclusively.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            David

Comment

I agree with you. ULW is a little different than say M21/NXT in terms of the swipe test. ULW can be applied as wipe on wipe off (WOWO) with about 3-5 min after applied per panel. Where as M21/NXT needs to haze. I actually applied M21 thick one time on purpose and it streaked on me. So thin is in.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

I have been using the paste version for quite some time with no issue. I have picked up a bottle of liquid and tried it on my wife's Mazda. Ended up with the hole car covered in streaks. It also helps to have a few fresh microfiber towel's handy to give it an extra wipe down helps too Iv'e noticed. besides the occasional streaking its becoming my favorite.
                2008 Mazda CX-9 (WIFE'S)
                1995 Ford F150 XLT (MINE)
                1995 Honda Accord LX (TOTALED)
                1962 Lincoln Continental (SOLD)
                1965 Ford Mustang (NEW PROJECT)

Comment

Apply with a DA and 4" foam pads. Wipe off. Profit.........

Comment

Ever since I read that 2 coats do not offer extra protection or durability, I apply only one single coat now. I figured since I (like most of the members here) wax often, if I miss one area this time, I will cover it next time.

I do apply 2 coats when I do the full 5-step detailing, maybe once or twice a year. .

Comment

One thing about U-Wax Liquid is it does take about 12-24 hours to fully 'cure' (actually, crosslink). Every vehicle I have used UWL on has shown streaking sometime during its' curing process.

If you sit and watch it, when the streaking is occurring, you can see the streaks kinda move about.

As stated above, applying THIN is paramount!

Just my 2

Comment

I agree with wifpd4. In searching for really durable sealants, I've turned to Ultimate Wax. I had previously used Duragloss 101, or 111, and still do on occasion. I also liked Turtle Wax's Ice Paste. Duragloss is harder to come by locally, and Ice Paste is kind more difficult to apply than Ultimate Wax.

I was also convinced by a customer at the car wash last year who used it on his Santa Fe. In about three months, the whirling brushes had grinder it away from about the lower 28 or so inches from the bottom. Everywhere else, it held up very well. I want to say from mid July to March or April.

I've also been fortunate to not see any streaking. I had terrible streaking a few years ago with Turtle Wax Ice Liquid. That was frustrating.

Comment

I had streaking issue when I first used ULW 2-3 years ago. I then read the instructions as well as researching in this forum.
                          If applied thin and 1-2 panels at a time, no streak at all. In fact, it's much less effort to wax this way.

Comment

I started out using ULW on my black car, but like many I found it to streak badly. Removing the streaks was simple enough, but added another step to the process. UPW was recommended to me, and it has worked wonders with no streaking at all.

However, I decided to give ULW a try again on my black car. I really appreciate the ability to apply ULW to trim, and I tend to apply to a few panels and wipe off. When I waxed my car with ULW (the same bottle I had the streaking issues with), I had zero streaks. This time I used a foam applicator I had sitting around that came with my last bottle of NXT 2.0. This applicator seems to be more porous than the black or yellow Meguiars foam applicators. With the NXT applicator, I can prime the pad and lay down a very thin uniform layer of ULW. The wax gets absorbed into the pad and can be released as needed. As I need more product I put very little on the applicator and spread it around with my fingers before I begin application.

With the other applicators I have used, which seem less porous than the purple NXT pad, the product seems to stay on top of the applicator and it doesn't spread as thin, and not nearly as uniform. over and non-uniform application are common reasons for streaking. I also use much more product with these pads.

Comment

Bill,

Those LSD flashbacks must be troubling !

If you sit and watch it, when the streaking is occurring, you can see the streaks kinda move about.
                              Which causes this more for you white cars or black cars? One suggestion, take the Moody Blues tape out of your Walkman and don't listen to "Legend of a Mind" (Timothy Leary is dead) again, it's affecting your work !!

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              David

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');