• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a little help. Gouge in fender well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little help. Gouge in fender well

I was documenting damage to a customer's car today and noticed what I thought was gum or some other white substance on the back edge of a rear fender well, the plastic part where the rear bumper comes in. I ran my finger over it and found out it was a pretty nasty gouge. Maybe a thin piece of metal came from under the tire and hit narrow edge first, perpendicular to the narrow edge of the well. I wasn't able to get a pic up but it's something like taking a machete and swinging it into the narrow edge of a 2x4. About 1/16th of an inch wide at it's widest, 1/16th deep.

My first thought was carefully sand/cut off the rough edge hanging out. I won't lose any paint, it's already gone and cutting it off won't change any of the dimensions. If I don't take it out, I'm worried it will work it's way loose and pop out any filler and/or paint. Rough up the inside of the gouge with fine sandpaper then spot putty/glaze to fill in till it's close to the outside edges. Once it's dry, hit it with touchup to build a few coats, wet sand with 2500/3000 to take down any edge, polish it out.

Any other suggestions? The customer knows it will likely be a little obvious, but most anything would still be better than a nice white gouge on a dark grey Mercedes.

Re: Need a little help. Gouge in fender well

Do you have any photos?
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Updated with pics

IMG_20140726_094832544_HDR.jpg by tigertacp, on Flickr
      IMG_20140726_094810054.jpg by tigertacp, on Flickr
      IMG_20140726_094735971_HDR.jpg by tigertacp, on Flickr
      IMG_20140726_094716284_HDR by tigertacp, on Flickr

Comment

That things gone. From a body shop perspective you could fix it but youbshould fill anything that deep. If they really wanted to fix it they should just replace the bumper. The time and energy and frustration wouldnt be worth it, especially since theres no guarantee that the filler wont be too deep and just crack off.

Comment

Replace a whole bumper for a gouge that's just 1/16th of an inch wide?

Comment

It looks pretty deep. Filler can only go for so many layers/depth. Like I said you could get away with it (and it would be waaaaaay easier to judge by actually seeing it) but there no promise itll keep. If I got that at the shop as a new bumper id send it back as it wouldnt be worth the time to fix. If you wanna try id say go for it but you gotta let us know how it goes

Comment

I would have him take it to a body shop so they can fix it properly.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Yeah, either that or just carefully put some touch up paint in there with a toothpick to make it less noticable.

IMO trying to fill that, because of how deep it is and where it's located, would be difficult / relatively expensive / risky.
                Originally posted by Blueline
                I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

I can sort of understand where you're coming from.. I guess it's different when someone's dropping their car off to get fixed. There's certain expectaions a customer has.. That's the whole point of paying a proffesional to fix it.

Reminds me of the last time I towed my car to a local radiator shop because my water pump had busted... I called them the next day to see if it would be ready to pick up as planned, only to have the owner of the shop inform me that they've been trying all morning, but havn't been able to remove the water pump from my vehicle... I was like 'you gotta be kidding me'!
                  The most well known radiator shop in town, yet they can't even remove my darn water pump to install a new 1. I have the absolute worst luck in the world with mechanics, they're All hacks Lol.

1 of the reasons I love auto detailing, is not having to depend on a mechanic to fix anything :p

Comment

It looks pretty big from the pics but it's not quite that bad. I told the customer we'd work on it but no guarantee it would stay put. He agreed. I triple taped the area and evened out out the area with a razor blade. I then filled it with spot putty, let it dry for 5 minutes, then wiped it down with laquer thinner. It's now got a thin coat of touch up and I'll build it up today and tomorrow. We'll see how it holds up. If it comes out, I've got a way to inject a resin into the gouge then try again. He'd rather not spend hundreds to get this little spot fixed.

Comment

Why not build up with the bumper repair kits at the likes of Advance Auto or Auto Zone?
                      See Kevin's '03 PT Cruiser GT here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/477590

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');