• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Way to Apply Wax to Paint Without Getting on Matte-Finish Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Way to Apply Wax to Paint Without Getting on Matte-Finish Trim

Have a 2013 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Special Edition, which has matte black bumpers, door handles, mirrors, etc. I want to get a good coat of synthetic finish on the paint before winter hits. What's the best way to apply wax or synthetic to my painted surfaces WITHOUT getting it on the matte black trim? Only way I've been able to think of is to use masking tape around the matte parts, but that would take hours. All suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Re: Best Way to Apply Wax to Paint Without Getting on Matte-Finish Trim

Tape is a very good way. If you are going to use Ultimate liquid wax then it doesn't stain trim. Taping off trim is not that bad. In the end it's worth it. Saves you hours of work removing caked on wax on the trim especially on textured trim.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

I always put the trim protector on first and them wax. That way the wax does not stick to good on the trim pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by j.linz View Post
        I always put the trim protector on first and them wax. That way the wax does not stick to good on the trim pieces.
        Good tip---I'll try it!

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
          Tape is a very good way. If you are going to use Ultimate liquid wax then it doesn't stain trim. Taping off trim is not that bad. In the end it's worth it. Saves you hours of work removing caked on wax on the trim especially on textured trim.
          Good to know. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');