• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do about impossible tree sap. Steam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do about impossible tree sap. Steam?

Goo gone doesn't do anything, and I've even used a razor to nock down the higher spots, yet the sap won't go away. Has anyone ever tried steam? Would a heat gun or blow dryer work, or would it wreck the paint? Please let me know ideas... thanks

Re: What to do about impossible tree sap. Steam?

Have you tried a clay bar?
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

I have the 1 gallon meguiars glass cleaner. I have soaked a terry towel in the concentrate and then let it sit on the sap for about 10 minutes....came right off.
      -Bob
      NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

In addition to the above posts, the 'Search' button is often helpful:

I have these super hard tree sap spots all over the top of my 2011 Black 2SS Camaro. I know from contacting the previous owner that it is cherry tree

Comment

I have found that Goo Gone is rather over-rated and doesn't work well for much of anything. Is your sap heavy drops such as from pine trees, or is it more of a fine mist? I had the mist sap on my truck and the clay bar treatment did the trick for that. Perhaps larger pine sap drops would need something like a bug and tar remover to help break it down first, followed by a good wash and then a clay bar treatment.

Comment

How long has the sap been sitting on your paint?
            Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
            www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
            Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

Alcohol will work well on sap. Don't do it in the sun, let it soak a bit, remove with a MF towel and then hit with polish and wax.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
              "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

All good posts above - the fine misty stuff is relatively easy when using clay, I'm assuming it's the thicker stuff since you haven't had any luck with Goo Gone.

What Meticulous-Detail mentioned is right on. I use the Detailer Line glass cleaner concentrate too, as it's basically an alcohol, just don't do it in the sun! or on hot paint.

If you can get to it when it's cold or at least cooler, (like early morning) which should be cool enough even this time of year in Vancouver, lots of times they will chip almost almost completely off with your finger nail and leave little to no sign behind which can fairly easily be buffed out with some M105. Good luck man, that stuff isn't fun to work with
                Dynamic Detailing

Website | Instagram | Facebook

Comment

What kinda trees?

If fir, pines or the like. give turpentine a go. Always worked for me when I lived in the Northwest.

Bill

Comment

Drop by a body shop and ask nicely if they can spare a few ounces of Dupont Prepsol, a body solvent. I use this on sap and it removes it effortlessly, along with any previous wax or coatings. Prepsol stays wet for a long time, unlike alcohol which quickly evaporates, and dissolves sap easily.
                    Jim
                    My Gallery

Comment

91 percent IPA, dwell time, sharp plastic razor blades and patience. Nathan

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');