• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiars S3BP 3 inch backing plate failed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiars S3BP 3 inch backing plate failed!

I just received the S3BP backing plate that I was using with the Meguiars DA polisher and 3 inch pads.

Everthing was fine until the backing plate decide to fly off and I lost the Washer that goes between the backing plate and the screws.

Now I don't even know if I want to use this backing plate any more...or see if I can find another washer somewhere I can use and try again.

I scratched my car in the process when the backing plate flew off.

Re: Meguiars S3BP 3 inch backing plate failed!

I have one as well and I noticed that it was starting to wobble on my DA while I was using it. I caught it in time. It almost felt like the threads on mine stripped while I was using it. Then I tried it back with no washer as the washer from what I could tell was not letting the adapter grab enough of the threads on the backing plate.

Sorry to hear that it scratched your paint.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

more stories...

But yeah..is it okay to not use the washer? it did look like it didn't have enough threads to go with it.
      I still got the A pillars to detail, and the 4 inch pads is the way to go. If not I guess I'll use the DA drill, but
      its a bit awkward to use it at a high angle holding a drill.

I fixed whatever I could...unfortunately it won't be perfect, but its not bad enough for me to have a headache over it.

Comment

Mine failed too (threads stripped). Called customer support but was told since I had it for more than a year, there would be no replacement.

Comment

Mine is brand new....used it tonight. Who do I contact about this to see if they can do anything about it?

Comment

I got mine in April of this year and had issues the day I used it. It worked ok without the washer.

Try contacting
            Brian Hann
            Customer Care Center
            Meguiar's Inc.
            (800) 854-8073 *3870
            bhann@meguiars.com
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Was the adapter you used 5/16-24 x 5/16-24?

Comment

I used the one that threaded into my PC 7424XP. I can't remember which one it was.
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

Same thing happened to me when I first tried that backing plate. To fix it I glued the screw into the back of the backing plate using loctite.

The wobble and vibration I felt before gluing went away completely after the glue fix. Been using the backing plate like this for a while now without any further problems.

Comment

[QUOTE=Selectchoice;550659]Same thing happened to me when I first tried that backing plate. To fix it I glued the screw into the back of the backing plate using loctite.

The wobble and vibration I felt before gluing went away completely after the glue fix. Been using the backing plate like this for a while now without any further problems.[/Q]

I'll try the backing plate again, without the washer (can't find it). I hope it doesn't cause any problems. I hear the bigger backplates without the washer caused too much heat to build up

Comment

Get a Lake Country 2 & 7/8ths backing plate. It is the same size as the SB3. I have had the same issue with 2 of the SB3's so i won't use them anymore. I even used Locktight on the 2nd. Beware, even with that, it is just a matter of time until it fails.

Comment

I personally would just get a Megs W63 3" rotary bp ....I have the S3BP, but have not used yet....it's one of the rare items Meguiar's makes that I'm not too happy with. It doesn't feel durable....

Again....just get a W63 BP
                        "STRIFE" aka Phil
                        2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
                        2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
                        2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Comment

This is what I used.

The threads inside stripped.

99 Grand Prix
                          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Hmm... It seems there's a common fault with these BP's...
                            Originally posted by Blueline
                            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Yeah I think it's the heat that warps them. I got one use out if it. I'm going with the Lake Country that Kris recommended. I should have went with that one from the get go.
                              99 Grand Prix
                              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');