• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiars S3BP 3 inch backing plate failed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Meguiars S3BP 3 inch backing plate failed!

That's nice that customer service took care of you. I ended up buying the 3" lake country backing plate. Night and day difference. The Lake Country backing plate is so much better. I should have went with this one form the beginning. If you have issues with the second S3BP backing plate then get the lake country.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Could somebody confirm, what is the correct way to connect the S3BP to a Meguiar's DA (220v2). Do I need the extension bit, or just the one connector that is similar on both sides? The instruction in the package says to put the washer up against the backing plate, while I believe I have read on this forum somewhere to put the washer on the DA side... Many thanks!

Comment

You need the adapter that comes with the backing plate as well as the washer. The instructions on the packaging are correct. They state, "Place supplied washer against the backing plate, then thread in the adapter. Secure adapter to tool using the wrench provided with the tool and firmly tighten".
        Brian Hann
        Manager - Meguiar's Solutions Hub
        Meguiar's Inc.
        Irvine, California
        bhann@meguiars.com
        (800) 854-8073 *3870

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me! I was getting confused, as the image in this thread shows 2 of the adapters screwed together, instead of one adapter that is similar on both sides... Could that cause the problem?
          Should I ignore this idea of leaving the washer out in order to prevent the same mishap?

Also as I have tightened the adapter (with the washer in), the little white sticker of the backing plate separated, and turned with the washer - now it is "blocking" the wholes - are this important for heat transfer? Should I remove the sticker? Sorry about my silly questions, but kind of new to DA polishing (although loving it so far)... Many thanks!

Comment

I have tried it without the washer and I must agree.... You need the washer. Will post a pic of what happened to the backing plate when I have time. Summary is: the adaptor has burned through the threads in the backing plate making the adaptor " run straight through" the backing plate. I will be ordering a lake country plate. Will still thank you for meguires for the customer support.

Comment

Just wanted to clarify , what are the advantages of going with a 3 inch plate over a 3.5 inch plate? They both say they fit the 4 inch pads

Comment

^ the velcro diameter on the 4" pad is itself is 3", the pad diameter is 3.5"
                Hope this helps
                Last edited by STRIFE; Sep 29, 2014, 08:33 AM. Reason: add pic
                "STRIFE" aka Phil
                2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
                2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
                2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Comment

The great news is that this BP has been replaced by an upgraded version w/o the adapters

Comment

I bought the buff and shine kit but I cant get the backing plate set up with the da; any advice?

Comment

Sorry to hear about your difficulty. Can you please provide more details so we can offer some guidance. Please be specific and include pictures if possible.
                      Brian Hann
                      Manager - Meguiar's Solutions Hub
                      Meguiar's Inc.
                      Irvine, California
                      bhann@meguiars.com
                      (800) 854-8073 *3870

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');