• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am i using ultimate compound right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am i using ultimate compound right?

i'm beginning to doubt the product, but i'm constantly seeing how good it is from others on this forum.
    I'm not able to even remove light scratches with it on silver paint and by applying in circular motions using the meguiar's yellow hand applicator pads with both light/medium pressure slow and fast doesnt seem to make a difference.

The most i've seen it do is remove some light wetsanding marks, otherwise a small scuff or scratch (not even deep might i add) isn't going anywhere with this stuff..
    Threads like this is what got me to buy it http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...und-Wow-factor
    Either it doesnt like my car or im not applying it properly.

Do i need a machine buffer or a different hand pad?
    If anybody has some tips or better experience with using it by hand shed some light here before i waste the whole $30 bottle.

Re: Am i using ultimate compound right?

ULtimate compound is amazing stuff... You can used this product for removing stubborn Water spots and clean fiberglass tub.

If you are working with ultimate compound by hand I recommend a pea size amount to a foam applicator pad and work the product in untill smooth.. This process takes a long time. I find using Ultimate polish works best on a cool clean surface.

If you have the funds invest in a Dual Action polisher( Meguiars, Griots, Porter cable,) or a good consumer polisher. You will get amazing results with machine polishing.

Comment

Sometimes you can only do so much by hand.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

How large of an area are you trying to cover in one application? With hand applied products you should restrict the size of your working area to 30cm x 30cm max. Also, you have to work the product with some pressure (dependent on what you're trying to remove) and work it long enough until the product either removes the defect or until the Ultimate Compound almost 'disappears' on the paint. Wipe off any remaining product with a quality microfiber towel and check your results.

Not all scratches and marks can be removed, even with a machine, but by hand it will be a far more labour intensive process. But in most cases it can be done.

I had a black VZ Holden Calais with a couple of spots that would have been tricky machine application or not. I applied Ultimate Compound with the Meguiars yellow foam hand applicator pad and worked it softly at first, checked my results, then adjusted as I saw fit. A bit more pressure, a little more or less product, and soon enough you get the technique a particular paint or defect likes. Eventually the marks came out, and relatively easily being honest.

Comment

Good suggestions above.

You may also just have hard paint and need to step it up in aggressiveness by using a different product/pad combo.

What kind of car are you working on?
          Originally posted by Blueline
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Alfa 159 with silver metallic paint.
            Its got a few light scratches, around the edges of the front bumper and one on the rear bumper. I park it at shopping centers always so trolley scuffs could be a good possibility.
            They're not deep at all, so UC should clear em up nicely going by what i've seen done by others here.

Random Orbital polishers are a tad expensive and ive never used one before.
            What's a cheaper but still good option for someone who's does everything else by hand?
            Orbital sander with a pad attached to it?

I'll eventually buy a machine polisher since everybody says great things about them and practice on my parents cars (their cars could really benefit from a good cut/polish), just want to know other options. Thanx!

Comment

A DA polisher is nothing to be afraid of. In the end your body will thank you. There are affordable DA's.

Also look into the DA power system.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by Jess159 View Post
                What's a cheaper but still good option for someone who's does everything else by hand?
                Orbital sander with a pad attached to it?
                Yep, that'll work if you already have one. Just might need to buy the correct backing plate for it, to suit the pads you're going to use.

*EDIT* I'm assuming you mean a random orbital DA sander.
                I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Aldi had one for like $35, might even look at Bunnings for a not too expensive one.
                  So its ok to buy a orbital dual action sander (the ones with multiple speeds) and chuck a polishing pad on it?

Comment

Do a search for the specs of the widely used machines such as the Meg's G1110 v2, Griots Garage, or Rupes.

You want to compare the stroke (throw), RPM, and OPM (Oscillations Per Minute). If the figures are comparable on the sander you're looking at, then I would say it's fine.

The thing is, some of the sanders (cheaper ones in particular) don't have the stroke size needed for effective paint polishing, as they are designed more for woodwork.

Some good info on stroke, RPM and OPM can be found here:

Comment

good stuff, i didnt think too much into specs.
                      SuperCheap Auto has this one for just over $100, thoughts?

or do we prefer this one for $10 less?

Comment

The second link is for a rotary polisher not a Dual action machine. You don't want that one.

Comment

I'm not sure, as they haven't included any specs. I'd be wary though...

And yeah, that second one is a rotary. Unless you are an experienced user, I'd stay away from that as you can easily damage your paint with a rotary. Plus, that's probably not a very good rotary (I could be wrong about that though).

Comment

Cool, that's why im asking here
                            so i'm after a dual action polisher correct? ill do more research into specs and stuff when i get around to it.

Comment

Jess159 - I am very new to using compounds and polishes but recently stepped up my game with Meguiars Dual Action Polisher. I tried Ultimate Compound by hand at first and no matter what, I couldn't get any noticeable results. Once I tried UC with a DA Polisher, WOW! There was just no way it seemed that I was going to get anywhere by hand. The car I was working on was black and so results would've been easy to see. The results I was getting with UC on the DA were great at first but then I took a closer look...still not what I was hoping for. I adjusted my technique, speed, pressure, etc but wasn't 100% happy with the results. I decided to jump up to M105 and let me tell you, the results were impressive. I guess my car just required more cut than the UC could offer. The M105's cut is very aggressive but still very easy to work with. I was very hesitant and intimidated at first to use the DA for fear that I would mess up the paint. However, now that I have used it to compound and polish, I feel extremely confident in what I am doing and no longer fear the DA Polisher. By the time you work with the DA for a little and finish your car, you'll want to see what car you can work on next. lol I wish you the best with trying to get your car the way you want but I remind you, have fun with it. Once you start getting the results you are hoping for, you will love it!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');