• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cloudy Marks on dash display perfect clarity glass cleaner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloudy Marks on dash display perfect clarity glass cleaner?

Hello All,

This is my first post here. I have a question about the perfect clarity glass cleaner. I was using it on a 2013 KIA Forte, I didn't really realize I wasn't supposed to use this item on clear plastics(dash displays), that being said, if the product did cause this, I do not blame it as it clearly says on the label not to use it on this type of thing..

However after cleaning the clear plastic dash display with this item I noticed a few cloudy marks on the display. Has there ever been a similar report of this, with the mis-use of this product, is it possible this is where these marks came from? If this is the case, Is there any way to remove them?

I didn't notice these marks before cleaning with the perfect clarity glass cleaner, and tried rubbing my fingernail over them to see if it was some kind of gunk on the clear plastic display, however it feels to be level with the surface. (I can try to get pictures if needed to give you guys a better idea!)

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

Re: Cloudy Marks on dash display perfect clarity glass cleaner?

Its possible.

You may want to try some Quick Interior Detailer or similar to try and remove.

You can probably get rid of it with other products if we have to, but that plastic can be real soft to work on.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Yeah, those plastics are quite soft - do you think you may have marred the surface by rubbing it whilst cleaning?

By marring, I mean thousands of tiny little scratches which appear to haze or cloud the surface.

If that's the case, you should be able to polish it out using a very mild approach.
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Thanks for the responses!

I tried the Interior quick detailer, no luck. I also took a much closer look at the marks.. they look similar to water marks, they are defiantly not marred, the spots are smooth to the touch, I wonder if the chemicals in the glass cleaner could have caused some kind of "chemical burn"? I wonder if it would polish out

The only other thing I can think of.. is somehow some of the cleaner got on the inside of the display, but I don't think this is the case.

EDIT: doing some more searching.. plastx may be the thing for me to try? But I bet it would be hard to use in a small space like this.. May try to figure out how to remove those displays.. but plastic states it removes cloudiness.. and this is how these spots look, "cloudy.."

Comment

You may want to consider these prior to going with plastx. I believe it is not as abrasive as plastx.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
            You may want to consider these prior to going with plastx. I believe it is not as abrasive as plastx.
            http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Plast...uiar%27s+%2317

Hello, I could look into those, I was going to try plastx because I had planned on getting the severe headlight restoration kit anyways.

It is a tight space to work in, what risk would I be taking using a little plastx on a supreme shine cloth, and gently rubbing it over the marks on the display? Is the biggest risk micro abrasions?

Comment

With that plastic being so soft, causing extra marring while trying to fix things is usually the concern.

Hard to say which product would be needed... the 3 above are good... though Ult. Polish/SwirlX may work also as being very mild...

But definitely best quality applicator/cloth.. as little extra abrasiveness as possible.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Agreed - a foam applicator would be best as a start.

And apply gently..
                Originally posted by Blueline
                I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');