• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much would you charge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much would you charge?

Ok so I offered my services to buff/wax my longtime friends parents 2006 Toyota Tacoma pick up truck. I've known them since I was a kid + their son's my best friend.. I did half the hood this morning to show a sample.

The hood's actually in decent shape. The sides are a bit oxidized but I expect the compound to clear that right up. I used UC/UP. Here's a 50/50 shot.

Before:

After:

Im also going to hook up the plastic trim so it'll basicly see the same good results my dads Tacoma got. It's still black like this.

Plus I've already cleared up the haze from the headlights. I told her I'd only charge her $100.
    Remember she's my best friends mom... But at the same time, I'd like to hear honest opinions on what someone, i.e. You would normaly charge for a job like this.
    What would be your discount/neighbor/relative price compared to your normal price.

I'd appreciate your feedback.

Nice work Ric, it looks wayy better

Comment

When deciding how much to charge your best friends mom..
      It's your good friend, right.
      So just talk it over with him and his mom.

Comment

Re: How much would you charge?

You are doing a nice thing. I heard form a member over on autogeek that a detailer doesn't make money from family and good friends. That they take the hit for those. I have also seen guys price a 5 step correction at around $300-400. With coatings even more. They say to check what local detail shops charge near you and vary your price that way.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

It's a tough one.

I would just charge a nominal amount for products. So maybe $50..
          Originally posted by Blueline
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Thanks Tim. I couldn't have asked for better results so far:]

Deep rich burgundy color unlike before.

This is what it used to look like. Dull, cloudy, faded...

Had this baby change colors! The front is all done. Truck bed is next.

I had told her $100 up front promising her a noticable difference. I jokingly said it'll be like you got a new paintjob! Lol.
            It's a good thing you can count on Meguiars to help you deliver!

@Guz. I totally agree with your statement. Even though someone would expect to pay alot more for this kind of paint correction, there's no way I would've felt ok with charging her more than $100. I'm just happy it's cleaning up so well.

Seeing her reaction when I called her outside to check out the difference between the front & back of the truck..

She said "it looks like a brand new truck"!

No better feeling than that

Comment

Cover your basic product costs, don't worry about your time. Just ask her to mention to her friends and maybe pick up some additional business in the long run. Just ask her not to mention the price she paid so people won't think you're over charging them layer on

Comment

It depends for me. If ur missing out on a paying job somewhere I would charge bout 50%. However if ur doing this on ur own time and like u said u r good friends, do u feel like his mom is ur mom, if so then I wouldn't charge anything other than materials. I'm sure she will insist on paying u but leave that up to her. Close friends and family I won't charge but I'm also a really nice guy where ill give u the last of something. IDE rather b the one who gives than receive for seeing a smile and excitement on their face means more. I really didnt appreciate that until my mid to late 20's. but u did an awesome job.

Comment

That might be a freebie for me, I would use something like D151.

Comment

@Jarhead. I know exactly what you mean, and I'm the same way too. However my day job has become increasingly unpredictable lately, which means I've had the past few days off.. Days off = no income. And no income = worries. So I found it's time to relieve my worries and do something I actually love to do + generate a bit of much needed income at the same time

While I was polishing this truck I had 2 friends I hadn't seen in a while drive by and they parked for a sec. to say hello and liked how the results were coming along. I let them know I've got all the time to polish their cars and they seemed interested. At the same time there's that part of me that doesn't enjoy charging friends[or anyone for that matter] for things.. But hey, all I can do is stay positive and hope 4 the best.

Meanwhile, the end results were quite outstanding. Ultimate Black really put the finishing touch on this truck!

And I was able to restore the shine to the truckbed. Feels good

Comment

Turned out really good! So I get the work worries so if ur 2 friends want u to do their cars then u should absolutely charge them. Maybe if u spent alot of time with them than maybe u wouldn't but they don't really seem like really close friends.

Now ur best friends mom whom u knew ur whole life which is like ur mom than no that's a freebie. Just like the girlfriends parents cars would b. sure u should tell them how much normally charge for the work but then tell them that u won't charge them. However I gurantee they will throw u some cash. Maybe not the full amount but prob at least half.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
                        @Jarhead. I know exactly what you mean, and I'm the same way too. However my day job has become increasingly unpredictable lately, which means I've had the past few days off.. Days off = no income. And no income = worries. So I found it's time to relieve my worries and do something I actually love to do + generate a bit of much needed income at the same time

While I was polishing this truck I had 2 friends I hadn't seen in a while drive by and they parked for a sec. to say hello and liked how the results were coming along. I let them know I've got all the time to polish their cars and they seemed interested. At the same time there's that part of me that doesn't enjoy charging friends[or anyone for that matter] for things.. But hey, all I can do is stay positive and hope 4 the best.

Meanwhile, the end results were quite outstanding. Ultimate Black really put the finishing touch on this truck!

And I was able to restore the shine to the truckbed. Feels good

Nice job!

Sounds like you've got the opposite problem to mine--my company has been dumping OT on the crew for over a month--to the point where several higher level folks have decided it's not worth it, and have moved on to other things.

Great way to fill in the gaps when your primary income source is trimmed, though.

I had a similar experience to yours when I was polishing my car. One of the folks in my complex said, "looks good, how much?" I said, "We can definitely work something out!"

Haven't seen him since, but there's always a chance.

Thanks for that phrase--time to invest in some business cards. Vista Print, here we come!
                        2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Comment

Nice job. It came out great.

Give your friends like a 15-20% discount of what you normally charge. They should be happy with that.
                          99 Grand Prix
                          02 Camaro SS

Comment

I'm with The Guz. No need to work for free, especially with those results.

Friends or not, they need to see value in your work.
                            2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');