• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plastx cleared up some yellow tint, but cannot get factory clarity back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastx cleared up some yellow tint, but cannot get factory clarity back

I had a pair of plastic headlights which were slightly yellow /fade at the top, but fine on the other areas. I went ahead and wet sanded/PlastX one of them by hand. It got rid of any hint of yellow or fade, which is great, however cannot seem to restore the near factory level of clarity that you can see in the unmolested lens. To the passerby they both look very clear, but to me I can notice the difference.

Do I really need to machine buff this? I am thinking that I should have not sanded originally, and just used the PlastX from the start.

Also, I am told for PlastX to use a flannel shirt instead of a microfibre cloth?

Re: Plastx cleared up some yellow tint, but cannot get factory clarity back

Well, the answer is 'maybe yes' to all those options.

You could try flannel or MF cloth with the PlastX, (or with Ult. Compound if you had some on hand)... it may take a few more applications.

If the sanding marks are really deep, then yeah, a machine may do the job best/easiest. And can just be a drill attachment, nothing fancy. Dont know if you bought the Meguiars kit or not, or what you have on hand.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Headlights are wonderfully simple to correct, so no need to fret just yet.

In honesty, getting sanding marks by hand on headlights would be incredibly difficult, yet possible most likely (assuming, of course, that they are even and uniformly distributed)

So doing a Murr suggested with a simple drill should do quite the trick. All you need is an abrasive capable of correcting, a drill or polisher of some sort or another, and a pad to buff the lens. (I do not know the correction capabilities of plasticX, so I am unable to say if this will be the recommended product to use in this scenario, however any Meguair's abrasive from ultimate compound to m105 should readily handle this situation.)

I believe Murr mentioned this as we'll, but there is a Meguiar's Headlight correction kit which contains everything mentioned, plus a protectant to extend the life of your newly restored headlights!

Headlights are very forgiving when restoring, so you are in luck!

Have fun
      Griffith Hawk

Comment

Good point by both of these guys. The heavy duty restoration kit is a good kit. Comes with everything you need. All you need is a drill. I agree with Griffith on using M105 or ultimate compound to remove the sanding marks.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
          Well, the answer is 'maybe yes' to all those options.

You could try flannel or MF cloth with the PlastX, (or with Ult. Compound if you had some on hand)... it may take a few more applications.
          Should I be using something else? Popular choice seemed to be the MF cloths.

If the sanding marks are really deep, then yeah, a machine may do the job best/easiest. And can just be a drill attachment, nothing fancy. Dont know if you bought the Meguiars kit or not, or what you have on hand.[/QUOTE]

I did not gouge or go deep with the sanding, there are no significant marks. I ended up with a fairly uniformed surface which is very very smooth and fine.

So the problem here is that the clouding is still due to the sanding and I need a machine buff in order to achieve the clarity I desire?
          Would I buff with PlastX again or use the UC polish?

Also, I am applying Meguiar's protectant to replace the lost UV coating. Does this go on before or after the next buffing/polishing?

Comment

I would recommend Ultimate Compound or any pure abrasive for removing the sanding marks for efficiently with a drill. PlastX is meant for small touch up, and maintenance I believe.

The protectant would go on after you have finished all the steps in order to achieve a perfectly clear lens, and tops the clear lens with that extra layer of protection.

Griffith Hawk

Comment

I went ahead and did as I thought I should have originally - worked plastX into the unmolested headlight on only the top portion. I do see some improvement but the haze/aging of the lens is still there. I will have to do a sanding, but may only do that portion.
              Oddly, despite being a cool evening and in the shade, the plastx dried quite fast, and to the point where I had swirl marks left that I could not buff out.

I am considering buying some UC polish, however I do not see any sanding marks - only scratches (maybe that's what you meant)?
              And if that is still not enough, will have to get a drill.

Comment

You may find the UC week do better than plastx anyway.

Also, UC or plastx with a machine could be better than sanding, as far as no sanding marks to worry about.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I was considering UC, however I have a feeling now that part of the lack of clarity I experienced was from light/color tricking the eye. Since I have no DA or similar I may sand the other one and carry on as I have been.
                  With that in mind, I've decided to dive into buying a kit of products for cleaning which I've not included UC. Please stop by and see if that's correct.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');