• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to detailing. D301 or ULW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to detailing. D301 or ULW?

I recently got a new car and want to take the right steps to make sure the paint last a long time. I've taken care of all my previous cars by washing it bi-weekly, using Meguiar's Clearner Wax every few months, and claying it about once a year. Nothing too crazy.

I've only dipped my feet into detailing and looking to dive deeper.

I was introduced to the DA Microfiber Correction System and absolutely love it! Since my car is new I skipped the D300 (Correction Compound) and just used the D301 (Finishing Wax). Super easy to apply and even easier to remove! Since this is esenially a "cleaner wax" is there any bad affect if I used it every few months on my car instead of a "true wax" (i.e., ULW)? I reserached a bunch and purchased the following items that I'm pretty sure will last me forever!

D163 - Tire & Trim Gel
    D115 - Rinse Free Wash and Wax
    D155 - Last Touch Spray Detailer
    D143 - Non-Acid Wheel & Tire Cleaner
    D120 - Glass Cleaner
    D101 - APC
    D156 - X-press Spray Wax

I plan to use D301 every few months (clay once a year) and for my in between detail I plan to use D115 if the car is not too dirty and go over it with D156. Do that sound like a good plan? Thanks in advance.

Re: New to detailing. D301 or ULW?

Nothing wrong with using D301 as your LSP. If you want something with longer lasting protection then that's when you consider a synthetic wax like ultimate wax or nxt. If D301 is working for you and you are happy with the results then by all means keep using it. Your plan sounds good to me.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Looks like you have everything covered. I used D301 when I finished compounding my Mazda It looked great. It may not last as long a synthetic wax but if you plan on using it every couple of months you will stay well protected.
      2008 Mazda CX-9 (WIFE'S)
      1995 Ford F150 XLT (MINE)
      1995 Honda Accord LX (TOTALED)
      1962 Lincoln Continental (SOLD)
      1965 Ford Mustang (NEW PROJECT)

Comment

I love D301. Its just such a great quick and effective lsp and cleaner.
        My car was in the shop for a while and its nice to be able to get out all the little hairline scratches, while also waxing it!
        Plus it smells like heaven!

Griffith Hawk

Comment

What's your opinion on the D163-Tire & Trim gel? Hadn't heard of it till now. How does it perform compared to otc tire shine/gels?

Comment

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
            What's your opinion on the D163-Tire & Trim gel? Hadn't heard of it till now. How does it perform compared to otc tire shine/gels?
            I don't use any of the OTC meguiar's tire dressings. I primarily use D163 and I like it. I apply 2 coats with a carand tire brush. From me using it, I can control the amount of gloss. 1 coat leaves the tire looking like it was new. 2 coats adds more gloss. 2 coats seems to be the right spot at least for me. It doesn't have the over powering high gloss look. It also doesn't sling. Durability for me is about a month. Lasts longer for us in California with the dry weather. It also does not turn one's tires brown. It just gradually fades.

I currently have it on my camaro's tires. This is 2 coats.

99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
              I have not tried it yet but from what I read it's pretty good especially since I can use it on trims. I ordered it from AutoGeek (Florida) and still waiting for it to arrive (California). Ground shipping takes a long time! hehe.

Comment

I love D163. I apply with a tire applicator sponge and then go back and wipe off the excess.

It's the first dressing I've used that doesn't sling. It also dries to the touch and looks great!
                Originally posted by Blueline
                I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by apthai86 View Post
                  I have not tried it yet but from what I read it's pretty good especially since I can use it on trims. I ordered it from AutoGeek (Florida) and still waiting for it to arrive (California). Ground shipping takes a long time! hehe.
                  I'm sure you will like it. I tried it on the trim but for me it was just ok. Meaning it did not last long. Ultimate black or plastic & vinly coating lasts longer for me. Maybe you will have better luck with it. I do like it on tires.

FYI

We have listened to your concerns in regards to the shipping times for our West Coast members. We would like to offer you 3 day delivery* to help you
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

Oh darn! I wish I saw that before I ordered.

Comment

I've been browsing the web and many are saying D301 doesn't last very long. Even though I plan to wax (D301) every few months (3-4 months) would it be worth wild to top D301 with Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax?

Comment

Yeah you will be fine doing this.
                        99 Grand Prix
                        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');