• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2005 Mustang 5 step correction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Mustang 5 step correction

I took the day off to do a full 5 step paint correction on my nephew's "new" 2005 Mustang. The paint was not in good shape, it was full of swirls from automatic washes and neglect. I didn't get any good before shots as the car came in last night. After about 11 hours of work, it came out nearly flawless. Pretty darn good for a 9 year old car. I might just have to start up a little side business

The paint has so many contaminants that is literally felt like sand paper. In fact, while drying the paint, my waffle weave towel started to tear. It was BAD.

Products used:

Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo
    Griots clay / Meguiars Final Inspection
    Meguiars Ulltimate Compound / Meguiars MF Cutting pad
    Meguiars M205 / Meguiars MF Finishing Pad
    Ultimate Paste Wax topped with M26
    Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer
    Mothers Back to Black Trim Cleaner
    Mothers Back to Black Tire Renew
    Mother Metal Polish
    Stoner Invisible Glass

I only have 1 before photo as took delivery of the car late at night. I started early this morning (4AM) and didn't have much chance to take photos as I had a pretty tight deadline. The car was completely swirled as seen below, to be expected for a 9 year old neglected car.

This image is taken from the same spot right after compounding with UC and a MF. The car responded very well to this combo. I initially tried a polishing pad with M205, then UC. The Polishing pad with UC would have worked, but required considerably more passes than the MF, so away I went. Not bad for just UC. You can see some hazing, to be expected, and the images are not crisp.

Done. The tires have no dressing on them, they were cleaned with the Mothers Tire Renew which works very well. I apply a bit to a MF towel and wipe the tire down. I LOVE the look of a new tire, with no dressing. None of the plastic trim has any dressing on it, I used The Mothers Trim Cleaner on a MF towel to clean it. It does a great job of removing stains, old wax, and brings a nice fresh look to the trim. I pulled the wheels and scrubbed them inside and out, and polished them by hand twice. I didn't spend much time on the wheels as I believe they will be changed out soon.

Such a beautiful color.

Crisp and bright reflections. I didn't spend any time on the wheel wells.

Perfection I'd say the car is at 95%. There are a few RIDS I chose not to work too hard on. Sometimes you need to choose your battles.

The obligatory LED shots. Nice, crisp, and clean. BTW, I really like this LED I got from Home Depot. I rarely use it on the tripod, and with careful placement makes an excellent detail light.

Re: 2005 Mustang 5 step correction

It's got a worm glow to it, good job
    2008 Mazda CX-9 (WIFE'S)
    1995 Ford F150 XLT (MINE)
    1995 Honda Accord LX (TOTALED)
    1962 Lincoln Continental (SOLD)
    1965 Ford Mustang (NEW PROJECT)

Comment

Originally posted by Scott's 62 View Post
      It's got a worm glow to it, good job
      Thanks, good 'ol M26 always looks good on darker colors. The car looked great with Ultimate Wax, but just goes to another level with M26.

Comment

Nice job. M26 looks great on red. It looks great on any color in my opinion.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Sweet job, you're a good uncle.

Comment

I bet it stands out so well next to ordinary, swirled up rides in a parking lot now! Great job:thumbs up

Comment

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
              I bet it stands out so well next to ordinary, swirled up rides in a parking lot now! Great job:thumbs up
              Thanks, it was pleasure to work on. I have only worked on my own cars, but this was a treat. First, the panels are all a nice and shape to work on. My Lexus has weird shapes, small areas that are hard to get to, and makes the job more time consuming. I told my nephew (this is his first car BTW), that a clean 9 year old car is nicer than a messy new car. Being 16, he obviously migrates to the latest and greatest. I promised him when he dropped the car off it would be the nicest car in the lot. I think he has the nicest car in the lot...I mean, I have been correcting my car for a while, but his car just worked like butter with the MF pads.

Comment

Dude, it's like we share the same exact experience! lol I corrected my parents Chevy Trailblazer just last weekend and couldn't believe how easy it was to work on and how swiftly the defects came right off to show such a perfect end result. [Their suv looked like complete @#$% b4, yet somehow a Single pass using White polishing foam pads & UC transformed every section of the paint] It's 1 of those moments that makes you say to yourself "it's better to give than to receive" Because my car was a Royal PITA to work on compared to that Trailblazer. And the results on my own car are nowhere near as perfect as how theirs turned out._. *sigh* lol

Comment

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
                  Dude, it's like we share the same exact experience! lol I corrected my parents Chevy Trailblazer just last weekend and couldn't believe how easy it was to work on and how swiftly the defects came right off to show such a perfect end result. [Their suv looked like complete @#$% b4, yet somehow a Single pass using White polishing foam pads & UC transformed every section of the paint] It's 1 of those moments that makes you say to yourself "it's better to give than to receive" Because my car was a Royal PITA to work on compared to that Trailblazer. And the results on my own car are nowhere near as perfect as how theirs turned out._. *sigh* lol
                  HAHA! Frankly, I'm a bit jealous of his car

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');