• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing Rustoleum Spray Can Paintjob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing Rustoleum Spray Can Paintjob

Not really sure where to ask this but I am working only by hand...Lol I sprayed my '86 T-Bird today over a 5 hour period with Gloss white Rustoleum enamel spray cans. It went down over primer and I'd say I got at least a good 3 coats on it, it looked pretty good today considering how it was done. How long before I can wet sand and/or polish any "ugly" spots? I'll see how it looks after it's had 24 hours to really dry tomorrow.

Thanks.

Re: Polishing Rustoleum Spray Can Paintjob

Just thinking how 'enamel' dries, I'd give it at least a week. The surface may feel nice and hard, but the underlying paint may be too soft to safely wet sand.

How about a picture?

Bill

Comment

Overall I'm happy with it. This is not a show car and it looks 100x better than being in primer. Lol Once it fully cures I would like to smooth it out and polish it. Somes spots are awesome, some are rough and the hood/roof/trunk show spray lines since Im not that good at spraying a horizontal surface.

Comment

Looks like it came out pretty darn nice...CONGRATS!

Just give a time to cure and harden then attack.

Remember, least aggressive first! Don't just run in with the sandpaper first, give the compounds a chance first. If nothing else, that should give you an idea of how dry the paint is.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillE View Post
          Looks like it came out pretty darn nice...CONGRATS!

Just give a time to cure and harden then attack.

Remember, least aggressive first! Don't just run in with the sandpaper first, give the compounds a chance first. If nothing else, that should give you an idea of how dry the paint is.

Bill
          Thanks man. It definitely came out better than I expected for $65 worth of spray paint. I bought the car primered and i fixed a few spots, my goal was to make it presentable(and one color) and it did the trick. If I can even out some spots and maybe get a little more shine I'll be extremely happy.

I really only have Ultimate Compound, what Megauiars compounds do you recommend as more aggressive after I try that?

Comment

Looks great. Good job. It just goes to show you what can be accomplished.

Good job!!

Comment

Your ultimate compound is on the more aggressive end of the Meguiars line. You'll want to have/get/borrow a DA for that job, by hand would be so miserable!

In my opinion, your not going for a factory finish, at this point your looking to average in the rough areas or do what I call "soften the edges". Right now you have sharp peaks and valleys, you want to soften or round them out while working it all down. As you go, and it will go slow, it should keep getting better. That would be a multiple weekend project for me, it's going to take time.
              Doing the best I can with what I've got.

Comment

Just to add, do NOT under estimate the "power" of Ult Compound.

A lot of folks seem to think just because one can purchase it just about everywhere 'over the counter' it can't be that good...how wrong they are. It (UC) is a true kissin' cousin to 105.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');