• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mechanic's stool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanic's stool

I have been turning a bucket upside down as a stool while working on lower sections and bumpers, would a mechanic's stool be a good investment? If so ,any suggestions for a particular style or type would be appreciated, thanks, SkipG

I do recommend if u decide to get one to go with a quality stool and not the cheaper version. Also try and buy American made, then u know it will last u forever! I bought the $20 craftsman years ago and it broke on merge 4th time using it. I was under the impression craftsman were still made in the USA, but no longer is true, at last everything they build is now farmed out to china. I never replaced it as I haven't had a need for one.

Comment

Re: Mechanic's stool

I use one of those smaller resin lawn chairs from Wally World. When you get tired, you can lean back, stretch, have swig of beer, and then carry on. Resin or plastic, lasts forever, and less than $10.00. Probably made in China. LOL Works for me.

Comment

My brother has 2 cheap ones from harbor freight. I was using one this weekend and they did the job. I was able to roll around while I was polishing the doors. He was using the other one.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

I'm not saying the cheap stools won't do the job, but just that the quality ones roll better, and are more comfortable and xtra sturdy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarhead0754 View Post
            I'm not saying the cheap stools won't do the job, but just that the quality ones roll better, and are more comfortable and xtra sturdy.
            Good idea. I am going to have to put wheels on my lawn chair.

Comment

My personal opinion is... the heck with the stools and chairs.
              Get knee pads instead. It's a much cheaper option too.
              2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Comment

Stool or not, knee pads are also great.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I just bought a Husky heavy duty rolling shop stool at Home Depot for $25, but haven't used it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarhead0754 View Post
                    I agree with you on that. I just meant that the stools were helpful than sitting on the ground or slightly bent over.
                    99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

I use a milkcrate as a stool. Then lay down an extra floormat I have and face upside down for the bottom parts of the doors & bumpers.

Comment

Bought the craftsman when it was on sale for $20 bux. Never had an issue. When it's not being used the kids ride it down the driveway and crash it. Serves a dual purpose in are house. Love it, especially the tray under the seat.

Comment

I bough mine at Pep Boys. Red padded seat and shelf under for tools etc. Love it! rolls easily. was about $29
                          Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
                            Good idea. I am going to have to put wheels on my lawn chair.

I use a lawn chair (and beer). I also use a lawn chair as a place to put my DA pads and bottles for easier reach. However, I tend to work through a number of steps and panels without stopping, and will just kneel down for the lower panels, but a rolling stool would be awesome
                            Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                            4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                            First Correction | Gallery

Comment

I have a cheap stool. The wheels are not very durable.
                              Al
                              ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');