• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

This past weekend it was decided between my brother and I that it was time to polish his car. The car had previously had klasse sealant which was still sheeting ok after 7 1/2 months. The beading was not as tight. This time it was decided to go with all Meguiar's because I wanted to show him that he could achieve great results with what he had. In addition to that it was some hands on training since he picked up a harbor freight DA. This was an interior and exterior detail. We spent a total of about 11 hours spread out between Saturday and Sunday.

We also played around a little with M7 and it was my first time using it. Read up on how to apply it so I knew waht to expect. It went smooth and I had a good experience using it.

I didn't take a lot of photos because we wanted to get this done. This is what we used on the entire car.

Saturday the car was washed. It was clayed using a couple nanoskin autoscrub sponges along with D155 last touch as clay lube. While he was claying I was dressing the trim with wolfgang's trim sealant. We then proceeding onto a test spot with ultimate polish on a white lake country polishing pad. That gave us good results. So we proceeding to polishing the car with UP making sure it was cleaning up the light to moderate swirls on the car. My brother got the hang of using a DA after I gave him a brief how to. He did a great job for his first time. The hood and the passenger side fender had some deeper scratches that UP could not get out so I did some spot correcting using M105 (forgot my D300 at home) on a microfiber cutting pad. I followed that up with UP to remove DA haze. Once we were done polishing we applied NXT 2.0. We let it haze and did the swipe test to make sure it was ready to be removed. We let the car sit in the garage overnight and let NXT cure. Before removing NXT I clayed his wheels which I followed up with ultimate polish to make the silver really pop. I sealed the wheels with ultimate wax.

Sunday he cleaned up the interior. He vacuumed it. He used QID to lightly clean the interior rubber and plastics. He followed that up with ultimate protectant. Let that sit for a few min and then gave those areas a light buff to remove any excess product. On all leather he used Gold Class leather & vinyl cleaner followed by the sealer from the leather sealer system. While he was doing that I gave M7 a test spot followed by M26 to see how it looked. He liked the warm wet look so I proceeding on with glazing. He followed me with M26. We let that haze for about 15 min and used the swipe test to make sure it was ready to be removed. I dressed the tires and he cleaned up the exhaust tips. Once we were all done with the exterior he moved it out of the garage to use the new air refresher odor eliminator.

Not bad for a car that is 11 years old. After all this work it looks better than some of the newer cars .

Onto the photos.

Interior (no photos were taken)
    Vacuumed
    Quick interior detailer
    Ultimate protectant
    Gold Class Leather & Vinyl cleaner
    Gold Class Leather sealer system sealer
    Air Refresher Odor Eliminator

Exterior:
    Exhaust Tips - Heavy cut metal polish
    Wheels - D143, Clayed, ultimate polish, ultimate wax.
    Tires - D143, Turtle wax's new jet black endure-shine tire coating. Not to be confused with the black tire coat. Testing this out.
    Headlights - Polished with UP, IPA, Ultimate wax
    Glass - clayed, mothers water spot remover along with a 4" lake country white polishing pad to remove water spots, sealed with D156
    Exterior - Washed, clayed using nanoskin autoscrub sponge + D155 Last Touch as clay lube, ultimate polish, M105 + MF cutting pad (spot correction)
    Exterior LSP - NXT 2.0, M7, M26 in this order

This was what we were up against on the entire car. There were some areas that could have used some compounding but UP did a nice job of making them look better.
    Before

After

All done

Factory orange peel

Wheels and tires

Hope you can see the water spots
    Before

After
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Awesome job! It takes time to get those kinds of results, there is no half *** way to get an old paint job to pop like you got that thing to do!
    Doing the best I can with what I've got.

Comment

Re: 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

Thanks. The look of excitement on his face was well worth the hard work. I forgot to mention that the car has close to 110K miles on it. He took ownership of it with 50K miles. I'll post pics when he get's his new aftermarket hood on the car.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Glowing, nice results!

Comment

Very nice work Michael!
          Originally posted by Blueline
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by RPPM View Post
            Glowing, nice results!
            Those were exactly my thoughts. Who would have thought that the car would look this nice.

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
            Very nice work Michael!
            Thanks.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

My brother came over on Saturday. I waterless washed the car and followed that up with some M135 since the waterless wash had no wax built in. He's been keeping it in the garage so it was not that dirty.

99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Outstanding results! All that work paid off real well. :thumbsup

Comment

Nice shine!
                  I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Here's the latest update to this thread. About 3-4 weeks ago my brother dropped his car off at the body shop to get the aftermarket hood and front valence add on painted.

2 weeks ago I helped him stall that front valence and we did a couple other modifications. I looked at the car and noticed all these swrils on the car and I was scratching my head and thinking those were not there before he dropped it off. Turns out the body shop washed the car. I didn't even think about putting a do not wash car sign on it. I was expecting it on the hood for sure since they wet sanded it.

Kris (RPPM) looks like I may be using what you sent me sooner than I thought .

Here's the car with the 2 new pieces.

Here's the defects that are now in the paint on the entire car .
                    99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Wow, sorry to see that. Damn body shops!

Let us know how you go getting those swirls out.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');