• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate wash and wax let me down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate wash and wax let me down

Hey as the title implies after nearly 3 years of using UWW soap last weekend I noticed that it left the paint finish on my Audi dull to the touch. I had never really noticed cuz I usually would wash dry with UQD and follow up with UQW but last weekend I unfortunately ran out of day light so I had enough time to dry it off and had to wait til the next morning to finish off my work. The next morning I went and touched my paint BEFORE the UQD and UQW and I was stunned to find my paint not smooth and glossy. The glossiness and smoothness came back after the spray treatments but still I feel like as if the UWW stripped my wax. Anyone else experience this before? Mind you my Audi is a dark blue color that looks black at certain angles. (Its a pearl effect paint so in the right angle in the sun it looks purplish)

Should I switch to gold class wash or nxt 2.0 wash?

Thanks in advance
    2001 Audi A6 Avant (wagon)
    Ming Blue Pearl Effect metallic

2019 Nissan Sentra SV Special Edition
    Super Black

Re: Ultimate wash and wax let me down

Have you waxed the car in that three years using a traditional paste or liquid (not spray) wax?
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
      Have you waxed the car in that three years using a traditional paste or liquid (not spray) wax?
      yes twice a year I do a full polish and wax (its coming due actually) The last time I did a full wax with ULW was on thanksgiving 2013 week. I've heard some stories about UW&W leaving the finish a bit dull. Should I give gold class wash a try since its a dark colored car? Does gold class leave it dull or no? How about nxt 2.0 wash?

Super Black

Comment

All three are good car washes. Gold Class is my personal favourite. I have never heard of UWW leaving the finish dull.

I think what's happening is that your "proper" wax has gone in the 5 months since Thanksgiving. The UQW / UQD are durable for spray-on products, but not durable enough to last through washes on their own without a coat of wax underneath. They are only intended as booster products.
        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

David, he said Ultimate Liquid Wax, not Ultimate spray Wax.

No doubt though, at months later you will not get the fresh and slick feel to the touch of any Wax/ sealant. If you want to keep that sexy slick feel, Ultimate Detail and Ultimate Quick Wax are you go to maintainer products.

I just wish the Ultimate Detail spray was available in the professional line by gallons or 5 gallons! I love Boothe the Ultimate Detail and the pro line X-press Spray Wax.
          Doing the best I can with what I've got.

Comment

Nicoya, it sounds to me like you're washing too much and quik waxing not enough. I've found it's best to only do the full wash when the car's dirtiness really demands it, but to use QD/QW liberally otherwise. So, I might re-apply quik layers many, many times between washings, which keeps the surface almost as velvety smooth as a fresh DA wax.
            Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
            4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
            First Correction | Gallery

Comment

All three are good car washes. Gold Class is my personal favourite. I have never heard of UWW leaving the finish dull.

I think what's happening is that your "proper" wax has gone in the 5 months since Thanksgiving. The UQW / UQD are durable for spray-on products, but not durable enough to last through washes on their own without a coat of wax underneath. They are only intended as booster products.
              I agree. You can't go wrong with either soap. I also prefer gold class. Give it a try. You will like it. I am in agreement that ULW has probably seen it's end of life and it's time for a new application.

Originally posted by larry0071 View Post

No doubt though, at months later you will not get the fresh and slick feel to the touch of any Wax/ sealant. If you want to keep that sexy slick feel, Ultimate Detail and Ultimate Quick Wax are you go to maintainer products.

I just wish the Ultimate Detail spray was available in the professional line by gallons or 5 gallons! I love Boothe the Ultimate Detail and the pro line X-press Spray Wax.
              UQD is available in the mirror glaze line as M135.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

I think you might be leaving the soap dry on the surface. I have had this happen many times to me in the beginning when I was still getting a system down.

I personally love UWW and think it is a fantastic wash. I find it leaves the surface slick and glossy. Now, it's not slick like UQW but the water definitely sheets and beads a bit better after a wash with UWW. On its own the wash won't last long and it sounds like you're doing proper maintenance with UQW and UQD.

I think what you're feeling is a paint that lacks a new coat of wax or a boosted coat of wax. That slickness really comes back after waxing or UQW/UQD.

Question, is your paint rough? If so, it needs to be clayed. Just making sure we are knocking out the variables.
                Tedrow's Detailing
                845-642-1698
                Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Yes, that's right. He waxed with ULW 5 months ago, but usually applies UQW after every wash.

I just wish the Ultimate Detail spray was available in the professional line by gallons or 5 gallons!
                  It is - M135.

Comment

Hmmm... I tend to let the UW&W dry a bit on the surface, since its wax and all... but never really worry about feeling it after.

It certainly wont be like UQW.
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn T. View Post
                      I think you might be leaving the soap dry on the surface. I have had this happen many times to me in the beginning when I was still getting a system down.

I personally love UWW and think it is a fantastic wash. I find it leaves the surface slick and glossy. Now, it's not slick like UQW but the water definitely sheets and beads a bit better after a wash with UWW. On its own the wash won't last long and it sounds like you're doing proper maintenance with UQW and UQD.

I think what you're feeling is a paint that lacks a new coat of wax or a boosted coat of wax. That slickness really comes back after waxing or UQW/UQD.

Question, is your paint rough? If so, it needs to be clayed. Just making sure we are knocking out the variables.
                      Shawn, yes after every wash I go over with UQD and then follow it with UQW, then between washings (weather permitting) I just dust it off with the California duster and some UQD or the regular red bottle quick detailer (both work amazing). The slickness did come back after the UQD/ULW treatments. I love seeing the amazing beading after a rain shower so I know I'm doing that right lol. Also my paint isn't rough cuz my microfiber towels glide over the finish after the spray treatments but I've been contemplating a clay bar treatment but idk since its not rough.
                      Advice on that please?
                      Yes, that's right. He waxed with ULW 5 months ago, but usually applies UQW after every wash.
                      correct I did a traditional wax with ULP and ULW in November 2013 and I reapply UQW after every wash there after.

Super Black

Comment

If you've never clayed before, I would say to assume it needs it.

I thought I knew smooth paint, until I tried it and saw/felt the difference.

Yours may or may not need it, but if never tried it, wont really know.
                        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                          If you've never clayed before, I would say to assume it needs it.

I thought I knew smooth paint, until I tried it and saw/felt the difference.

Yours may or may not need it, but if never tried it, wont really know.
                          yes sir I've clayed it before

Super Black

Comment

Originally posted by audi_nicoya209 View Post
                            Also my paint isn't rough cuz my microfiber towels glide over the finish after the spray treatments but I've been contemplating a clay bar treatment but idk since its not rough.
                            Advice on that please?
                            The best way to tell is to run your hand over the surface, or better still the "baggie test". For some reason, when you feel your paint with your hand inside a plastic bag (eg sandwich bag or similar) it allows you to feel every little bump. If you can feel a lot of bumps or contaminants, you should clay.

Comment

Sorry I'm a bit late. I bought a jug of gold class wash and washed my Audi with it and I gotta say I'm very impressed with it. It gave me more suds than UWW and for some reason it made my UQD and UQW look better than when I use UWW. I definitely do need to do a traditional wax because it does need it.

Super Black

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');