Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie Q: What Pads do I Need for Simple Wax and Buffing?

Re: Newbie Q: What Pads do I Need for Simple Wax and Buffing?

I hear you - for me, Aleve and adult beverages are part of the kit

You can probably get away without compounding, or at least without compounding the entire car. The claying and compounding are by far the most work, and the polishing step is really almost as easy as the waxing step. You also can do a fuller correction at a later time, say if you just do a wax this first time. Claying is essential, though, and might be the worst part of all. Again, pain killers should be on standby.

But, here's another HUGE tip I've learned here and totally embraced - spray detailing/waxing. Many car buffs seem to hand-wax every month or every few weeks or even weekly, because the wax wears off and they want to redo it. They even talk about how long a wax supposedly lasts as a reason as to why they picked it. A full correction, however, is an investment in your time (and back strain) which you only need to do once in a blue moon. After that, for months and months, you can perfectly maintain it with dusting, rinsing, occasional washing, and spray products matching your wax (Gold Class, Ultimate, NXT, etc).

Let me put it this way. It's been over a year since I fully corrected my paint (see the link in my sig), so that was the last time I "waxed the car" with the DA (other than a couple of touchup/tests). However, the car is always waxed, because I go through a lot of quik detailer and quik wax, cleaning and re-waxing the car every few days - but it only takes minutes
    2012 Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec, Becketts Black Pearl-Metallic
    Non-Garaged Daily Driver, Mirror Glaze DA Pads, Ultimate Comp/Polish, Gold Class Wax/QD/QW
    First Correction | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage
    | Rescue Story | Galleries
    Groupthink: Enforced community requiring irrational and unethical conformity at all costs.

Registered Member

VERY interesting information Top Gear. Really, thank you so much for taking the time to provide detailing theory 101 and your opinion of things. It's always wise to listen to those (here in the thread) that have had regular dealings with this. Aleve and adult beverages -- yup, good combo. Ultimately and admittedly though, I may not be as serious a detailer as some so I will be relaxing my standards slightly. I normally wash my car perhaps ever 6-8 weeks and wax it about three or four times a year. That's enough for my needs. I like the Administrator (Michael)'s adage that this hobby is supposed to BE your therapy and not the reason you NEED therapy. Cheers!

You're welcome! But you don't have to overwork yourself with these new solutions. That's part of the point. The old way (at least the way I grew up with) was to bucket wash and hand-wax as often as possible, which can be a lot of work. Yes, the DA will reduce that workload a bit, all else being equal. However, the paint will actually look worse and worse over time using this old way, particularly due to the ravages of sunlight and heat.

The new way, the new Zen and the Art of Detailing, if you will, is to "correct" the paint semi-professionally no more than once or twice a year. Also, you only bucket wash with the full suds-n-mitt treatment when the car flat-out demands to be washed. Otherwise, all you have to do (assuming you avoid driving in the rain, slush and mud), day after day, week after week, month after month, are quick rinses (and I like the blow dry method), quick wipes with spray products, or even just a dusting using a "California" duster. These approaches really are therapy - at least to me

This relatively low effort to "maintain the correction" is therapeutic, but still frees up time and energy, yet the car always looks "show car fresh". I can't impress on you enough the difference between these two methods.
    2012 Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec, Becketts Black Pearl-Metallic
    Non-Garaged Daily Driver, Mirror Glaze DA Pads, Ultimate Comp/Polish, Gold Class Wax/QD/QW
    First Correction | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage
    | Rescue Story | Galleries
    Groupthink: Enforced community requiring irrational and unethical conformity at all costs.

Registered Member

Ultimately, I'm just trying to have as nice looking car as I can with a modicum of effort.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information