• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing deeper scratches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing deeper scratches?

Hi! I'm pretty familiar with the DA and Meguiars products. aim currently working on a 2007 Cadillac STS Black. I have been using a DA with foam pads. I'm using either M105, M100, or even Ultimate Compound. And it removes the top swirls and minor scratches but for the life of me I can not get the slightly deeper scratches out to get that full clear paint! I have tried using the different above mention products and using different stiffness pads both Meguiars and Lakewood pads to no avail. Tried different pressure and speeds on the DA as well. Nothing. :/ It's highly polished with these products but can't get that super clear coat without removing those slightly deeper scratches. Should I opt for a wool pad on a DA? Get a rotary? Not doing it right? Help me out. I don't think it's bad enough for wet sanding..

Re: Removing deeper scratches?

You may want to look into the microfiber cutting pads and D300.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Hmm..I may have to try that. Any other suggestions? I do want to get into possibly a stronger DA or rotary? I own a Porter Cable 7424XP. Heard anything on Rupes?

Comment

A Rupes will give you more correcting power, due to their larger throw.

Failing that, get the DAMF system as Michael suggested.

Are you sure these deeper scratches aren't too deep to remove?
        Originally posted by Blueline
        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

The MF cutting pads make a big difference. I just tried them this weekend on an 06 H3 that had deep swirls that the 105 and red Meguiars foam wouldn't touch. With the 105 and MF pads they came out in short order. I'm kicking myself for not trying them earlier.
          Doing the best I can with what I've got.

Comment

If the scratches are really deep it's not safe to try to remove them all, you simply may cause future clear coat failure by not leaving enough top layer (clear coat thickness is about 2 mils and 1.5 mils is necessary for proper protection). Unfortunately, sometimes we have to accept RIDS (random isolated deep scratches) in car paint. If you shrink your work area, use slow arm speed with moderate/heavy down pressure and bump D/A speed to 5-5.5 it should help with faster defect removal. D300/MF cutting disc is a good approach as well.

Comment

Someone say Cadillac? I'd love to see some pics

Comment

Hey thanks for all the advice. And I will try those MF pads out! And yes I for sure don't want to get past the clear coat lol was keeping that in mind. But here is a photo of the clarity I was able to do after compounding with M100 and a Lakewood Yellow cutting pad. Just myself and the door panel but I will get more photos and hopefully get something with the RIDS to show. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');