• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q: M7 and M26 mixture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q: M7 and M26 mixture

I have dark colored cars. After reading many posts about the need of polishing oils for dark paint i wonder if it is possible to mix M7 and M26 together and achive high gloss and protection in one step.
    I already have both on hand.
    What ratio should i use?
    25% M7. 75% M26. Or maybe 80/20 ?

I know black wax has polishing oils but like i said i already have M7 and M26 in liquid form.
    On another note i wouldnt expect this to be long lasting because of the decreased amount of M26. Having said that, i am considering applying the mixture prior to car shows.

I would appreciate anyoned mixture recommendation
    Extreme Radiance Detailing

2001 C5 Corvette - Black
    2010 LT2 Camaro - Victory Red

Re: Q: M7 and M26 mixture

I have and use both but I've never considered mixing. I can certainly understand your interest. I joined up here years ago with the intent of trying to find an LSP that didn't diminish the rich gloss I got from applying M07. IMO, it wouldn't be a very compatible mixture due to M07's non-drying characteristic, but I guess you could always mix up a couple small sample batches and do some test spots. I've done M07 on the night before a show and it looks great, but the part that bothers me is that doing a coat of M07 requires a lot of rubbing on a finish that you've already spent a considerable amount of time polishing out all the defects possible and anytime you're doing considerable rubbing, there's always the possibility if creating some new micro-marring.
    My "eve of the show" final preps the past few years have been done with M26, Wolfgang Fusion, or one of the Dodo Juice pastes and I don't think M26 takes a backseat to anything in that role.
    If you do decide to experiment with mixing, please post up your findings.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by gclark26 View Post
      I have dark colored cars. After reading many posts about the need of polishing oils for dark paint i wonder if it is possible to mix M7 and M26 together and achive high gloss and
      I know black wax has polishing oils but like i said i already have M7 and M26 in liquid form.
      On another note i wouldnt expect this to be long lasting because of the decreased amount of M26. Having said that, i am considering applying the mixture prior to car shows.
      Hey G-

Mixing 7 and 26 is gonna make one ugly color liquid, huh?

I would give 50/50 a shot. Since you're thinking for a show and not really protection so much, if you used just #7, it would be a dust magnet. So the 26 would help in that regard plus add a bit of subtlety to the black finish. I like the idea a lot. Get a small, clear bottle so you can shake it up good if possible.

Can't wait to hear how it works out.
      2018 Acura RLX Tech - Majestic Black Pearl

Comment

I would second the idea of doing a test with a little of each, can't hurt to give it a shot right? I haven't done it before, but I also don't have a ton of experience with M07 (26 is awesome stuff though).

I like testing stuff out though. I've mixed D300 with M105 for a great compound that cuts almost as well as 105 straight, but with much less dusting. I've also mixed 105 with 205 for a great one step polish that cuts really well, finishes out amazingly, and is super easy to work with.

Give it a shot and let us know about your findings!
        Dynamic Detailing

Website | Instagram | Facebook

Comment

I'll definitely report back. Will try the 50/50 mix. The next car show is in April.

2001 C5 Corvette - Black

Comment

Cool, that will be interesting!
            Originally posted by Blueline
            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

TEST RESULTS
              This experiment has been on my mind since I made the original post. Mind you the paint on my black 2001 Corvette was already in good condition but a car show is this weekend.
              I mixed 50/50 M7 and M26. Just enough to do the hood. The mixture was thin due to the M7 content.
              I applied the mixture with a PC 7424 and a yellow jeweling pad. If you try this be sure to set the DA at low speed to start to avoid sling. I set mine at 3 but still had sling even after kissing the finish with the pad. Because of the M7 content, I began wiping immediately, but then realized M26 needs to dry. I had other things to get done and let the mixture sit.
              Removal was more difficult than M26 by itself. On the other hand, not as bad as M7 by itself.
              The results are fabulous. The only thing I would do differently is reduce the amount of M7 for easier removal. But then this would reduce the amount of polishing oils, which could diminish the shine. (as if one could notice)
              I am considering the same experiment with M26 and M3. M3 is also a polish with a little cut, but not much.

Does anyone have experience with M3 they can share ?

2001 C5 Corvette - Black

Comment

TEST RESULTS
                This experiment has been on my mind since I made the original post. Mind you the paint on my black 2001 Corvette was already in good condition but a car show is this weekend.
                I mixed 50/50 M7 and M26. Just enough to do the hood. The mixture was thin due to the M7 content.
                I applied the mixture with a PC 7424 and a yellow jeweling pad. If you try this be sure to set the DA at low speed to start to avoid sling. I set mine at 3 but still had sling even after kissing the finish with the pad. Because of the M7 content, I began wiping immediately, but then realized M26 needs to dry. I had other things to get done and let the mixture sit.
                Removal was more difficult than M26 by itself. On the other hand, not as bad as M7 by itself.
                The results are fabulous. The only thing I would do differently is reduce the amount of M7 for easier removal. But then this would reduce the amount of polishing oils, which could diminish the shine. (as if one could notice)
                I am considering the same experiment with M26 and M3. M3 is also a polish with a little cut, but not much.

Does anyone have experience with M3 they can share ?
                It almost sounds like you would be making a home made version of Black Wax. Still though, I'm looking forward to hear how it goes for you! Good Luck!

Comment

I've used a bunch of M03 over the past 30 or so years, mostly on SS paint with a rotary and either wool or a Meguiar's yellow pad. Oil content is nowhere near M07 IMO, so it's a lot easier to wipe off. Prior to discovering detailing forums and accumulating large wax and polish hoards, my show/cruise prep for my Camino involved three steps: M03 by machine, followed by M07 and M26 by hand. Protection wasn't long lasting, but it sure looked good for a while.
                  Now that I've become "educated", I've been using stuff such as Wolfgang, Pinnacle and Dodo Juice on my garage queen, but regardless of how much you spend, it's hard to beat the results you get from M26.
                  I do truly admire your experiments with your homebrew mixes. Who knows what the Meguiar's chemists might say, but your mix sounds like a great "night before the show" final step. If you need some M03 to play with, I'd be happy to send you some.
                  In any event, keep us posted!

Bill

Comment

I know ur trying to save time by combining the 2 steps, but it prob be easier just to do them 1 at a time. So ur m7 followed by m26. Then there is no problem with removal.

Comment

Billy, thanks for your comments. I have M3 on hand and trying to decide how best to use it. I'm not looking for a cleaner wax combo but a polish / wax combo. Heck this experiment could go on a while. I have M21 and NXT also.

2001 C5 Corvette - Black

Comment

Very interesting to read about your experiment. This may work for a quick detail before a car show.

Originally posted by Jarhead0754 View Post
                        I know ur trying to save time by combining the 2 steps, but it prob be easier just to do them 1 at a time. So ur m7 followed by m26. Then there is no problem with removal.
                        I would have to agree. It doesn't take to long to apply M7 and M26 seperately.

Billy, thanks for your comments. I have M3 on hand and trying to decide how best to use it. I'm not looking for a cleaner wax combo but a polish / wax combo. Heck this experiment could go on a while. I have M21 and NXT also.
                        A real nice combo that I just did on my brother car is using NXT/M21 > M7/M3 > M26. I applied NXT after polishing to make sure the sealant bonded to the paint with nothing in between. Followed that up with M7 and M26.
                        99 Grand Prix
                        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Guz
                          Was your process using a single product per step?

2001 C5 Corvette - Black

Comment

Yes it was. We did polish and NXT on saturday. Let it cure overnight and on sunday we did M7 and M26. Of course time varies if you are detailing for money. For myself I just do it on my own personal cars.
                            99 Grand Prix
                            02 Camaro SS

Comment

TEST II RESULTS
                              This experiment was a 50 /50 mix of M26 and M3 applied with a PC 7424 on a dark blue 2002 Jeep. The jeep is part DD part garage queen. I may only drive it 20miles per week. It stays in the garage the rest of the time. The paint is in excellent condition. I recently applied D157 to the jeep to test the product. There was a good shine on the hood.
                              I applied the mix to 1/2 the hood and waited for it to dry. Drying time was short, 5 min or less. Application was easy. Removal also as easy, much easier than the M26/M7 combo.
                              After removing the mix from the hood, I rubbed my hand on each 1/2 of the hood. There was major difference on the side where the mix was applied. The paint is very slick and smooth as glass.
                              This is my favorite mix so far. I wonder what a mix of M26/M7/M3 would be like.

2001 C5 Corvette - Black

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');