• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waxing using buffer/polisher machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waxing using buffer/polisher machine?

Hello Detailers

I'm new to this forum and I'm from Houston. Though I'm not a detailer, but I love to clean my car on time to time.

I have a brand new VW Passat and I will wash my car at least once in a month or when ever it gets dirt. I have some basic questions and hoping someone answer them.
    1. How many time I should Wax my car?
    2. What is buffing or polishing car means? this is for old cars with rust on the body or for new cars too?
    3. Can I use buffer or polisher for waxing my car?
    4. what is paint protectant and should I apply this after wax or before wax?
    5. Recently I bought a Sears Craftsman 10 inch buffer/polisher and the reviewers mentioned they used for waxing too..can some one give me step by step for waxing or in detail how to videos link?

Thanks in advance for your time and hope I'm not asking too many questions

Re: Waxing using buffer/polisher machine?

1. It would be nice to use a proper liquid/paste wax 3-4 times a year. And then use one of the spray waxes, like UQW, after each wash or while drying.

2. Buffing or Polishing usually means removing swirls, light scratches, etc from the paint. A new car can easily get those.

3. Sure.

4. Protectant just means a wax.

5. Not sure about a good link for showing the 10" type of buffers... some one else will probably know one.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
      1. It would be nice to use a proper liquid/paste wax 3-4 times a year. And then use one of the spray waxes, like UQW, after each wash or while drying.

2. Buffing or Polishing usually means removing swirls, light scratches, etc from the paint. A new car can easily get those.

3. Sure.

4. Protectant just means a wax.

5. Not sure about a good link for showing the 10" type of buffers... some one else will probably know one.
      Thanks for the reply..
      but I saw one video where they were doing buffing with sand paper to get the proper shine on old car. Hope I don't need to use Sand paper on my new car...right? also for a scratches like length of .5 cm should I have to use Sand paper?

Comment

I recommend you check out junkman's videos on youtube. They are very infomartive on how to polish a car. There is no need to do any sanding during the polishing process unless you are doing body work. A compound can remove scratched but if you can feel the scratch with your finger nail then it's gone through the clear coat. You either live with it or fill it in with touch up paint.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Length doesnt matter so much, as noted depth is more important.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
            Length doesnt matter so much, as noted depth is more important.
            Hmmmmmm. Where have I heard that before?

Comment

For what I understood after reading few posts here Polishing/buffing is entirely different than the Waxing..great I'm learning something here
              so yesterday i checked my car has swirl marks and couple of scratches and one scratch I can feel with my nail for a while I will live with it..
              Ill do the polishing my car after this cold weather...but I have few questions..
              Do I have to wash my car completely before compound the single area?
              Do I have to do the compound first before polishing?
              should I have to give some time for compound to take the scratches off?
              Can i wax the car as soon as I'm done with polishing?

Comment

Originally posted by booraprashanth@gmail.com:542947
                Do I have to wash my car completely before compound the single area?
                Do I have to do the compound first before polishing?
                should I have to give some time for compound to take the scratches off?
                Can i wax the car as soon as I'm done with polishing?
                Highly recommended to thoroughly wash first. Follow by clay bar of you can.

Compound is the more aggressive, you use this first to get the swirls and blemishes softened or removed. Follow with the Polish to get the pristine clear and smooth finish.

Time dedicated to compound and polish depends on the damage to the paint, the process used and the desired results. It's not something that can be told to you up front. Hand vs machine, type of pad used, how aggressive the compound, how much surface damage and how deep is it, are you looking for perfection or something less than show winning finish. All of this effects the amount of work that will go into the job.

Absolutely use wax or sealant after the polishing is completed.
                Doing the best I can with what I've got.

Comment

@OP May I suggest you start by reading this: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...-Cycle-Updated!

That explains the 5 step cycle used by Meguiar's, what order you should do it in, and has a video or 2 in it also. There are also many other threads around with a lot of good information. Once you get settled with knowing what the 5 step process is, and what you need to do, then you can get into using your rotary/buffer that you bought. Using it before knowing the proper order of things can hurt your paint more than help it.

Comment

@ Drashnar
                    Thanks for the link, and I just finished reading it. There are lot of things I didn't know before reading that article.
                    I think I'm gonna wait for couple of weeks to do the polish and wax (I have a small trip coming up)
                    My ultimate question now is do you think the buffer I bought was Ok for all these things or would you or anyone recommend something else?
                    The one I bought was http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-in...ype=SKIP_LEVEL
                    It has 2800 single speed OPM with Terry cloth bonnet type

Comment

Well, certainly not going ot be the best machine... and terry cloth tends to be a bad idea. Some of those kind come with foam pads at least...

Comment

Originally posted by booraprashanth@gmail.com View Post
                        My ultimate question now is do you think the buffer I bought was Ok for all these things or would you or anyone recommend something else?
                        The one I bought was http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-in...ype=SKIP_LEVEL
                        It has 2800 single speed OPM with Terry cloth bonnet type
                        I have that same polisher from sears. That was what I had prior to the Porter Cable. It has no where near the power/speed to really do much more than wax. It is also horribly un-ballanced and makes my hands scream for mercy after a while of use. You have to be extremely light with it or you stop all rotational movement, the Porter Cable will allow a bit of downward force to be applied to speed up the work.

Comment

Originally posted by larry0071 View Post
                          I have that same polisher from sears. That was what I had prior to the Porter Cable. It has no where near the power/speed to really do much more than wax. It is also horribly un-ballanced and makes my hands scream for mercy after a while of use. You have to be extremely light with it or you stop all rotational movement, the Porter Cable will allow a bit of downward force to be applied to speed up the work.
                          Ok, I have decided to buy Porter Cable 7424xp

I know it doesn't come with the pads, but what else should I buy with it?
                          I mean one guy was talking about hook,loop, backing pad and plate? what did he mean by that? Can't I simply buy foam pads and use it?
                          another thing there are different kinds of pads like foam, wool etc which one gives the best result?
                          Can someone please give me the link or list of items for what I need with Porter Cable 6" polisher machine?

Please keep in mind I'm not a professional, but I like to keep my car clean.

Comment

You'll likely want to use a hook and loop backing plate such as:

And you will want 2 or 3 Meguiars foam pads. I say 2 or 3, because it depends on how you apply wax. I apply wax/sealant by hand and remove by hand. Some choose to use a machine. It's a personal choice.

For your Ultimate compound, you'll most likely want the red pad by Meguiars.
                            The W7006 red pad is a more active foam material to assist in the compound application and get to the results quicker.

Then for the Ultimate Polish your going to most likely want a yellow foam polishing pad.
                            They are less active than the red one above, and provide a super clear and smooth finish.
                            W8006 is the part number.

If your of the type that wishes to do your wax or sealant by machine, you will want at least one of the tan W9006 finishing pads.
                            I say at least one, because you may be of the type (like me) that lays down a sealant (Ultimate Liquid Wax) first and allow it to set up and then top with another product like the High Tech Wax or some other product. I never use multiple products on a pad, I consider that contaminating the pad. Pads get washed in the Maytag with Tide and set out to dry, never being used without washing from product to product.
                            Finishing pads: http://www.meguiars.com/en/professio...hing-pad-65in/

That will get you through your residential detailing gig for your cars. If you start doing more, you'll end up owning a few of each pad and a shelf full of Meguiars products to cover all of the scenarios that can come up!

Comment

Thats the same PC7424XP that I use. It comes with a general pad that has a 5/16"-24 threaded stub that goes onto the machine. The Chemical Guys backing plate I linked to you above will go on and allow you to buy and use those Meguiars pads I also linked to. I prefer to stay within a product family, as in use all Meguiars pads with (almost) all Meguiars chemicals. Again, that is a personal choice. It makes me feel good. I cheat on Meguiars a little bit, but for the most part I am faithful

Don't forget that you'll need at least 4-6 micro fiber towels to start out. You buff off the compound, polish, sealant and wax with them so that you can minimize placing new surface damage on your freshly detailed paint job. I started out with maybe 6 and now have around 30. I can never have enough!

My favorite by far are the long nap micro fibers from Autoality. These things are so amazing to use!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');