• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question - detailing with rotary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question - detailing with rotary

Hi all

i am at the beginning of the journey with the rotary, today i detailed my car with M105 and maroon cutting pad, when i start for the first section the rotary want to jump from my hand and vibrate, leaving some gumming from the compound, is my way in holding the rotary is wrong? after couple passes it just become fine.
    anyone experienced this thing?
    1995 Mustang GT 5 speed -Sold-
    1996 Mustang GT 5 speed -Sold-
    1999 Camaro Z28 6 Speed -Sold-
    2005 Grand Marquis LS

Re: Question - detailing with rotary

Hey ali, here's a couple video's I found for you to watch. By the way have you any experience with a rotory prior to this attempt?

Here is a great how to on picking up a bead of product with a rotary buffer.

Here is part 1 of 5 of some video I shot at the Meguiar's "Open Garage". This video is for reference only. It take many hours of working with wetsanding te...
    ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
    You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
    Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Thanks mate. i will try different technique next time.
      2005 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Originally posted by ali pontiac View Post
        when i start for the first section the rotary want to jump from my hand and vibrate, leaving some gumming from the compound
        When a rotary starts to hop around and not spin smooth, it's normally a sign of too much material in the pad. Spur or clean the pad with a towel and you should be OK.
        Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJack View Post
          When a rotary starts to hop around and not spin smooth, it's normally a sign of too much material in the pad. Spur or clean the pad with a towel and you should be OK.
          Bill
          the pad was new, any more input guys.
          2005 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

What was your starting speed and how are you applying the compound? I've used 105/maroon, so this sounds to me like the rpm was too high or not enough product lubricating the pad/paint.

Comment

start it @1500 rpm, i applied the compound around the pad just like draw a circle.
              2005 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Originally posted by ali pontiac View Post
                start it @1500 rpm, i applied the compound around the pad just like draw a circle.
                Have you got a test hood that you can try to fiqure out your technique. I did a thread on here awhile back on a single stage hood when M105 first came out and had the same problem of my makita 9227 jumping on me. I think that I sprayed my pad with a light mist of last touch and applied a bead of M105 down and set RPM on 600 or 900? can't remember what setting but found out that at a slower speed and worked with it a little bit I found my technique. It was different then other compounds and cleaners but when I found it I liked it very well!!

Here's the post I found it but not really a good thread did leave out several pics.http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ack&highlight=

Comment

1500 is way too fast, this just results in tons of splatter without the compound spread out. I agree with misting the pad and starting at 900 to pick up the bead. Once my working section is covered, then I'll move up to 1200, then 1500 if needed.

Here is a link to picking up the bead, fast forward to about 4:25.

Comment

thanks bro, i gonna use slow speed technique, just couple minutes ago i was watching a video for chemical guys, he was spraying the pad with water is it fine to use water that might help? and this problem also i faced it a long time before using M85 . one more thing its always jumping when i try to make it flat i always angle it a bit that help alot.

btw my rotary is Metabo pe12-175.
                    2005 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

If the rotory is used at an angle and to much speed you are sure to have holograms all over the paint, your pad needs to be flat. I think it will help you to get a test hood and practice with your product and find the right technique that fits your way of polishing. Mist your pad lightly and pick up a bead and use a slow rpm and keep it slow until you master the machine and get comfortable with it.

Comment

thanks all, i will try to work on low speed, stay tuned. i will update the thread once i got the chance to try again.
                        2005 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');