• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CD/DVD Repair with MF System or 105/205

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD/DVD Repair with MF System or 105/205

Don't have any pics but have been using the MF System and/or 105/205 with the DA to repair unreadable CD's/DVD's for a while. Been using the 5" pads so it's a little tedious but it works. 3" pads would be a whole lot better. I either put the CD/DVD on a microfiber towel and work with it or modify a plastic CD/DVD case to hold it while I work. Brought back many XBox games and my kids movies that most would have thrown out. Also did some work on a road rashed acrylic front license plate. Starting with 300 or 600 grit sandpaper then worked down to 3000, not unlike repairing headlights. If you're able to hold the item securely you can probably fix most any plastic item that's scratched up.

I did a search and didn't see anything about this, just wanted others to know.

Re: CD/DVD Repair with MF System or 105/205

That's really interesting, never thought about using them that way. I love "detailing" other things, I guess other people might call that cleaning....

Comment

Cool, thanks for the heads up!

I might try this on a few of the kid's DVDs which they have mistreated (as kids do) and are no longer working properly...

So the 105/MF cutting pad combo is not too agressive for them?
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Remember, least aggressive first...
        2018 Acura RLX Tech - Majestic Black Pearl

Comment

lol yeah I realise that.

But if someone has already tried it before you, doesn't hurt to ask...
          Originally posted by Blueline
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

You'll get a pretty good haze with the 105 and D300. The resin is usually thick so it's not like you're going to burn through. You might have to watch out for heat if there are some nasty scratches and you have to work it a while. The 205 and D301 take out the haze and fine scratches. If there are severe scratches the combo won't take out then it still might not work. It's a judgement call on how much you cut. Take your time and there shouldn't be a problem. You may just save yourself about $50 that was going to end up in the trash, an upset kid, and another trip to Walmart to buy that same game.

Just remembered, if you've got kids and there's an unknown sticky substance on those DVD's that will not clean off with the normal wet and wipe method, QID on a microfiber then polish it. What's left will get cut off onto the pad and then it'll all come out in the wash. I've tried a few of the CD/DVD wipes and miracle scratch remover kits. All trash compared to a DA and Meg's products.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');