• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q: How to remove oily film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q: How to remove oily film

I have just completed a multi step process of swirl / scratch removal (UC), polish(UP), M7 glaze, NXT 2.0 and GC carnuba wax.

Yeah, I am addicted.

I have a black 2001 Corvette. When I shine 500w halogens on the car I see an oily film. I cant get it cleaned off the car.
    So, should I remove it and how is that done or should I just let it be?

Thanks
    Extreme Radiance Detailing

2001 C5 Corvette - Black
    2010 LT2 Camaro - Victory Red

Re: Q: How to remove oily film

Any pics?
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Sounds like a product is too heavily applied and not completely removed. Is it streaky or consistent all over the paint?

If you see isolated streaking, you could try applying some wax on a small affected area and see if you can rub it out (like removes like). Clay removes a good bit of wax, so you may need to clay, then lightly UC to remove the products in an affected test area. Then check it out. If OK, you might want to repeat your steps one at a time, trying to find what polish or wax you may be having a problem with.

I've had some streaking before with M21 which is like NXT 2.0 and it shows up as impossible to remove like your situation.
      2018 Acura RLX Tech - Majestic Black Pearl

Comment

After the LSP i wiped down the entire car with a damp cloth.
        Would QD remove the film? Or maybe another damp cloth wipe down would work.
        Any thoughts on those options?

2001 C5 Corvette - Black

Comment

Guz
          I couldnt get a good pic on this as it is very transparent.

2001 C5 Corvette - Black

Comment

You can try QD, it might help/work. I wouldn't wipe a damp (water) cloth on the car. If you ever need a wipedown, use QD or similar product, not water.
            2018 Acura RLX Tech - Majestic Black Pearl

Comment

Ok I will try the QD. I actually used QD on my GF 2010 red Camaro and didnt notice the same oily film. But then again its red not black.

2001 C5 Corvette - Black

Comment

So this film is after a product was used? Or was there before?
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Its there after removing all the products. Its not a thick film but very very thin. Its just something i notice under bright lights

2001 C5 Corvette - Black

Comment

You used 3 different products, a glaze, a polymer sealant and a carnauba waxe, this is what you get, a mess.
                    Stick to one LSP.
                    I'd just leave it alone and after you wash it a fees times and wipe a few more times it should be fine.
                    Or use an ISP wore down- 20% isa 80% water, spray n wipe. Re-wax with ONE LSP.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

I have read many posts recommending carnuba be applied over NXT. Are you saying that layering is to blame?

2001 C5 Corvette - Black

Comment

Layering is a myth, a waste of time and a waste of money.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

I would just wait until it gets a little dusty/dirty and then re wash the car like normal. That will take care of it.

What you need to remove the film is water. Quick detailers or just dry wiping are usually not enough.
                          Nick
                          Tucker's Detailing Services
                          815-954-0773
                          2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Without pictures, I am just speculating, but the first time I polished a car, I noticed what I thought were holograms all over the paint when the sunlight would hit it. I just had not wiped my product off well enough, and it had left streaks all over my paint, its a fairly common rookie paint correcting mistake as the streaks are far more apparent with the super clean paint. This might be the "oily" film you see. Its hard to describe what they looked like, but that might be the issue you are running into. I personally have never encountered a problem with layering waxes, and lord knows I go through some waxes. Obviously, the effect each layer of wax has after the other is diminished greatly. I always use at least two layer of LSP of some kind on my car, never had a problem with it, just like to wax my car. Hope you figure out this "oily" paint thing, I am kinda curious.

Griffith Hawk

Comment

M7 will be very oily if you use too much. The advice against using multiple layers of various LSP's was already given, but I can attest to the fact that if you use a heavy coat of M7 even by itself that will give you the oiliness. You can see it on glass in particular. You can wipe and wipe and wipe and you just end up smearing it around so the streaks go in different directions. The problem is a result of using far too much. Applying M7 is something that demands correct technique. It's a pro- product. The technique has been covered by previous discussion that's searchable. If you want something that is more forgiving in how you apply it, use the NXT by itself, or UW maybe.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');