• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sonax Full Effect and Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonax Full Effect and Paint

Hey everybody, every once and a while I do like to pick up a non-Meguiar's product, trying a new product every month or so from random companies has become a ritual of mine.
    Last month I was gifted with a thing of Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner, it behaves much like Iron X for your wheels, where it differs from Iron X is my question.

Now my question is this, I was doing a mobile detail and I encountered a unusually heavy build up of iron particles on the back of a white CRV. This is not super common in the area where I live, and if iron has built up it is usually very little. I did not have any Iron X with me as the very small sample I had was sitting in the back of my miata in the shop. My clay bar was helping slightly, but making no impact on the larger particles. So in desperation, as these particles were very noticeable and I couldn't feel good about not treating them, I turned to my Sonax Full Effect. I of course warned the woman who owned the car that I was trying something out that I had not used in this manner before, and ok'd the use of it on the paint by her. I first applied a very small amount to an inside door jam, to make sure there would be no ill effects. I did 3 tests of differing lengths to ensure its safety. I saw no discoloration or immediate damage, so proceeded to lightly mist the cleaner on the back of the car working small sections at a time, letting the cleaner bleed out the iron build ups. I then thoroughly rinsed the area down very well, and gave the back end a third washing. Have I in any way harmed the car, say by deterioting the clear coat by using this cleaner in a manner it was not intended?
    It did work exceptionally at pulling the iron off just like Iron X minus the overpowering stink.

Thank you you for any help on this question. I am fairly confident after the quick research I did on the job that I have not damaged anything as it is safe for clear coated wheels as well.

Griffith Hawk

You might have damaged it but nothing a Polish won't fix.
    Acid washing is common but you usually you Polish after.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Re: Sonax Full Effect and Paint

If acid is the worry, I think I am ok, as Sonax Full Effect is acid free. I clayed the area again, but did not polish it. I inspected with my light and saw no discoloration or blemishing. I was more concerned about there being some other possible long term chemical reaction damage. Actually as I have researched this more, I am having a hard time finding the differences in this from Iron X. Is there any difference in chemical make up of these products, as I am aware they obviously both contain the same primary ingredient to remove iron bonding. I assume that Full Effect has some other chemicals to help fight other wheel contaminants.

Thank you for replying, I will follow up with my client, as she is a family friend I see the car about once a month, and check to see if any problems are present. I would love to hear from Meguiar's about this, as their own wheel cleaner (similar to Sonax FE) is coming out through the DUB line, and I am sure they know exactly what goes into these products. I am also super excited to have a Meguiar's produced iron removing wheel cleaner!
      (P.S. Just noticed that Full Effect abbreviated is Fe, intentional? Quite clever I think.)

Comment

Oh yea, it's not an acid.
        make a post in autogeek. there are thousands of Sonex fans there

DetailingByM.com

Comment

An answer bump here.

I have been looking all over for an answer to this problem. I looked on Autogeek, Detailer's Domain, and a few other forums with posts from professional detailers and found a few posts about this same issue. From what it looks like, Sonax is safe on paint. Not recommended as full car de ironizer. Phil from Detailer's Domain said that he had tried it quite a few times , but he could not get it to work as consistently as say Iron X. A few people on Autogeek have shown themselves spraying down entire sections of the car with the cleaner with no ill effects. So all in all it appears to be safe. I'm not going to go out of my way to use it in this manner, but if I am that desperate again, it's nice to know I have some where to turn.

Hopefully my Sonax Full Effect will be replaced by the Meguiar's DUB wheel cleaner when that arrives!

Thank you for the help,
          Griffith Hawk

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by Ghawk View Post
            (P.S. Just noticed that Full Effect abbreviated is Fe, intentional? Quite clever I think.)
            Brilliant! I never noticed that either..
            Originally posted by Blueline
            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');