• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiping Off Rain/Dirt During Rain/Flurries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiping Off Rain/Dirt During Rain/Flurries

Hell0
    I just washed, clayed, sealed, and waxed my black truck over the course of this weekend. It is now raining/flurriing here in the northeast.
    What is the best way to keep it clean midweek when I would not be washing my truck? Wipe it down during the rain to get the dirt off from the commute when I get to work? Wait until it stops raining? Also what about on a sunny day? Ok when I get to work/home to wipe off dust/pollen with a microfiber towel? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: Wiping Off Rain/Dirt During Rain/Flurries

If it's quite dirty I'll use Rinse Free Express Wash. I keep a 3.5 gal bucket with a gamma seal lid with premixed RFEW and have folded up MF towels soaking in it. Always ready to go.

If just wet and/or slightly dirty, I have as spray bottle of Last Touch, spray on and wipe off with MF. I wait until it stops raining. Use for dust and pollen too unless large buildup, then RFEW is my goto. Never wipe with a dry cloth.

Nice snow shower here right now. Looks like a spray bottle will be warming up for lunchtime.
    2018 Acura RLX Tech - Majestic Black Pearl

Comment

Depending on dirtiness, I am a HUGE fan of the Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere (UWWA). I find that it's perfect for all those in between​ cleanings.
      --
      Frank Kecseti
      Detailing Hobbyist

Comment

Does the Quik Detailer act the same? I can spray the car and wipe down? My coworker said using a dry microfiber even if the car is wet can scratch the car?

Stephan- So what do you wet the microfiber? Still a little confused, thanks guys.

Comment

Quik Detailer is "similar." That said, it's also more viscous and fluid, if you will, than QD. QD is a perfect clay lube as it's viscous enough to allow clay to glide over the paint, but not as viscous & slippery as UWWA.

As for the dry microfiber, your coworker is right. Water is quite abrasive, that, in addition to the dirt and grime in rain, means that you're grinding all that mess into the paint. Here's a link to a /Drive Clean video discussing drying methods.

P.S. I believe that Stephan means he leaves microfiber towel soaking in the Rinse Free Express Wash, so that they're always on hand.
          --
          Frank Kecseti
          Detailing Hobbyist

Comment

Thanks Guys!

Comment

My bad. I didn't mean wipe with a water soaked MF towel.

RFEW (wash) and Last Touch (quik detailer) both come in large jugs so are more economical.

UWWA is great, l always have some in the trunk, but expensive to use often. RFEWW is basically UWWA in a big jug, haven't bought any yet.

All these products lubricate you car paint so wiping won't scratch the paint (see first sentence above). Frank is correct on the towels in the RFEW bucket!
              2018 Acura RLX Tech - Majestic Black Pearl

Comment

Originally posted by BlackRam View Post
                Hell0
                I just washed, clayed, sealed, and waxed my black truck over the course of this weekend. It is now raining/flurriing here in the northeast.
                What is the best way to keep it clean midweek when I would not be washing my truck? Wipe it down during the rain to get the dirt off from the commute when I get to work? Wait until it stops raining? Also what about on a sunny day? Ok when I get to work/home to wipe off dust/pollen with a microfiber towel? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
                I am in the NE too and jsut detailed all my rides over the weekend. They have a nice coat of Duragloss 501 topped with D156 protecting them right now. I see you have a Balck Ram, personally I would not wipe it down. Leave it alone until you can wash it again, the more types you wipe down a car the more chances you take of inflicting swirl marks, especially with black. Take this from a guy who use to wipe his cars down all the time and now doesn't touch them as long as they are protected you will be fine.

If you are going to wipe down UWWWA is awesome, just make sure your MF towels are damp and I would use 8-12 towels to wipe it down. What kind of wax did you use? If you used UPW or ULW you are well protected.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
                "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

It is a new truck, so i washed it with gold class and one of megs wash mitts, clayed it, dried it, then used m21 synthetic sealant, put it one, like sit for 10-15 then wiped off with microfibers towels. (that was on saturday), on sunday, i then used gold class carnuaba plus was and did that. it came out unbelievable, it was like a mirror. what does uwwwa/upw/ulw stand for? (i read all the forums, this one, autogeek, others, watched the videos, i mean i was prepared) just not for the "after"

Comment

Originally posted by BlackRam View Post
                    It is a new truck, so i washed it with gold class and one of megs wash mitts, clayed it, dried it, then used m21 synthetic sealant, put it one, like sit for 10-15 then wiped off with microfibers towels. (that was on saturday), on sunday, i then used gold class carnuaba plus was and did that. it came out unbelievable, it was like a mirror. what does uwwwa/upw/ulw stand for? (i read all the forums, this one, autogeek, others, watched the videos, i mean i was prepared) just not for the "after"
                    Sorry for the acronyms. Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere, Ultimate Paste Wax and Ultimate Liquid Wax.
                    You have some great protection on there as of now. Personally I would wait till you can wash it again. Pick up some Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere and Ultimate Quick Wax to maintain and boost your protection.
                    For the winter I go to a local hand wash and bring my own wash mitts and towels and give them to the workers to use on my car. They ring them out and give them back to me and yes they think I am crazy.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
                    "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

Waterless Wash is your answer.
                      I've WW'ing for years now, on really dirty to museum pieces. Works great if you use the proper technique.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

This is great stuff, i wil go to autozone and buy some waterless wash wax. After reading this and other threads, im nervous to touch the truck hahaha

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');