• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HeadLight oxidation ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HeadLight oxidation ?

Next time I'll use the 105/205 combo now that I know what to expect.

Comment

I find that about 10% of headlights I restore seem to be made of a much harder material than all other headlights. I'll go into them with an 800 grit dry and find I'm barely even scratching the plastic, even on the clean part. Many times with these types I'll have to go down to a 400ish grit dry and still then I will really have to use some high rpms or just spend a lot of time to remove any material. I hate when I see these headlights because a normal 20-30 min job becomes a 2.5 hour job. It makes it hard to explain to customers "well ya see....your eerrr, headlights are made out of a harder material than everyone else .... Eeer" I usually just finish the job and don't say anything about it, taking a hit because I quoted them $30 for a job that took waaaaay too long. Anyone else have this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by wig View Post
        Next time I'll use the 105/205 combo now that I know what to expect.
        M105 & M205 is my GoTo for headlight restoration as well and don't forget to use Meguiars headlight protection after happy with your results.

Went to your gallery and left clicked on a picture then right clicked and copied the (copy image url) next I come back to this reply and left clicked on the square box (when you put your cursor/arrow over it it will read Insert Image) then a box will open and in the thin long box, put your cursor/arrow inside the front of the box and then left click, then paste the URL of your pic your wanting to upload and after URL link has been added go left click OK.
        BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Hoped that helped or give you a idea. Looks better by the way.
        ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
        You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
        Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

I recently had to do the passenger side headlight (the drivers was replaced due to accident) and I bought the 3M restoration kit (manual kit not drill kit). I took my time with the 800 then the 1000 and the two green discs, but I have to say I am pleased with the results. I had used the drill kit from 3M before but I didn't get the entire lens as the hand kit allows you to get in the hard to reach places. I got it even better than the AFTER pictures by using M105 and M205 with a small rotary pad. Very happy.

Before:

After:

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');