• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orbitar Bonnets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orbitar Bonnets?

Looking to claybar, ultimate compound, ultimate polish and then ultimate liquid wax my Black Tahoe, which bonnets are best for what? I picked up two microfiber and two terry cloth ones today. I KNOW, the orbitar isn't the best solution but I figured it would be a step up from doing it by hand. Thanks for the help

My first one was an orbiter. It did an ok job. But if you really want to get better results you will need a DA. I have one now. But I thinking about getting Meguiars.

Comment

Re: Orbitar Bonnets?

I'm scared to get in to the DA world haha I don't want to burn the paint and I've been in the used car business my whole life and have seen it time and time again if they dont know what there doing they can jack up the paint

Comment

^^ I think you might be thinking of a rotary.

I haven't heard of anyone burning their paint with a DA, and very, very few cases of people doing some reversable damage.
        Originally posted by Blueline
        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

ahh OK GOOD NEWS, i'll be looking for one for christmas haha. But in the meantime what do i use with what I have now lol

Comment

There are no absolutes. It's best to do a test spot to see how things work on your paint.

But in general, cotton terry cloth is usually somewhat more aggressive than microfiber when using a cutting/cleaning product. It's also a bit more likely to leave hazing.

So a starting point to test might be terry for the UC, microfiber for the UP and microfiber for wax. But there's room to play around with the mix and match of the UC/UP/terry/micro.

One problem with bonnets is that they usually aren't plastic backed (although a few are), so liquid soaks right through them and you'll need to clean the backing pad between steps to avoid cross-contamination.

Comment

Search your local yellow pages and see if you have a wholesale detail supply vendor in your area. Around here, some dealers still use 9 or 10 inch orbitals for prep work, so the vendors stock bonnets and can clue you in on what bonnets work best for their dealer accounts. Their bonnets are a lot better quality than what you see at Sears or Wally's. Prior to owning a DA polisher, I used a rotary for correction and a big pad orbital for wax. If money's real tight, a lot of guys have been happy with a Harbor Freight DA, available for under $50 when on sale. Get yourself a good backing plate and some good pads (you can't go wrong starting with a few each of Meg's Yellow and Black) and you're ready to go. It's certainly no G110, but it's also less than half the price.

Bill

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');