• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP I'm drowning on the information over-load highway.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP I'm drowning on the information over-load highway.

I thought I knew All there was to keeping a vehicle looking new or better in till I went from a white veh to a black one,

First of all my first veh. seen a lot different waxes,and i ended up using "Deep Crystal System"1,2,3,(cleaner,polish,wax) and all done by hand (sheew) My second veh. a black truck step 1 &2 worked real good but the wax just left a oily film that would not wipe off, look nasty like swirl marks could not get it to set in or wipe off ended up re washing and using a competitors wax "3m perfect-it". but now even this seems to be doing the same.
    Does wax go bad?

"if wax goes on easy it will wash off
    easy" Am I wrong here?
    it just seems most waxes I've tried even the Deep Crystal seemed to wash off in a wash or two.
    I do not use a touch-up wax or detailing wax between past waxes.

Now Im reading Meguiar's came out with NXT and all of the vehicles look awesome, the look I'm look'n for, BUT
    were they wet sanded before the NXT was done?
    will the NTX last a few washings?
    does NTX need to be applied with a machine?

my truck is kept in the worst environment possible :
    no garage, North East, deep in the woods.
    The factory paint has an orange peel effect to it.
    will wet sanding with 2000 improve the finish? with out high risks.
    I was told NOT to wet sand my truck because its only a year old.( have no idea why)

I've read most of the posts but I'm drowning on the information over-load. will some please, let me know what pads are used for what compound and what compounds should be used first and what should be saved for last.

Thank you.
    Rich
    Last edited by Beercan31; Apr 6, 2004, 09:11 PM.
    Rich
    If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
    DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Hi Rich...Welcome to MOL!
    This is just a guess, but I think that you may not be cleaning the finish well enough. It would be a good idea to clay the finish 1st before using a cleaner.

Another good idea would be to use a DA Polisher (PC) to work the cleaner & polish into the paint so they will have a better chance to do their intended job.

You can also use the PC to apply the wax as well...Course, your wax may have broken down in the bottle. If it doesn't look like lotion, then call Meguiars for a replacement.

In the past, I used to do these steps by hand with limited results...I never was satisfied until I stepped up to applying a product by machine.
    Last edited by rusty bumper; Apr 6, 2004, 09:54 PM.
    r. b.

Comment

Hi Beercan31,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

I know what you mean about information overload, with the help of www.google.com you can type in just about any word or words and read all night.

One question... what do you regularly use to wash your trucks with?

This one thing will determine how long any company's wax will last. Waxes, polishes, and other products can go bad, especially if they freeze.

Did any of your products freeze?

The 3M Perfect It product you mention is a light finishing compound and contains mineral oil. It is not a wax, it won't hold up to washing very well either because it's body shop safe, it's wax and silicone free. (Just a side note)

Whoever gave you the advice, to not wet-sand your trucks finish for at least a year was partially correct. In your trucks case, you should probably never wet sand it. If that is the original factory finish, you can bet the paint has been baked on at the factory and as hard as nails. You can sand it easily, but it will be very difficult to remove your sanding marks without making a mistake somewhere. This is especially true if you're not experienced with wet-sanding, cutting and buffing fresh paint, (which is soft), let alone factory baked on cured paint.

If a wax goes on easy, that doesn't automatically mean it washes off easy. I'm not sure why you experience that with the Deep Crystal Step 3 Carnauba wax unless your washing it with dishwashing soap.

Without seeing your truck finish with good pictures after it's been washed, it's hard to say exactly what you need, but if you want a simple to follow process that will give you good results with only a few products, then try this.

First, purchase a good quality car wash, like the NXT Generation Car Wash, it's a good value for the money.

Next, pick up a bottle of ColorX. This is Meguiar's new strong cleaner/wax. Apply this by hand using a clean foam applicator pad.

After that, apply two coats of the Tech Wax. Apply with a clean foam applicator pad and use some quality microfiber polishing cloths to wipe it off. Your finish should look good and as long as you wash with a quality wash and re-wax every few months, you finish could potentially look brand new for the rest of the time you own it.

Black finishes are a bear to keep looking good, but the above two products will go a long way towards helping you keep a show room shine on your trucks finish.

If down the road you want to invest in a machine to help you get better results and make the work easier, then consider a Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher.

Hope this helps...

Mike

p.s.

If you want to learn more about paint care and detailing in general, a good place to start is the new Meguiar’s FAQ.

You can read it here,

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thank You for the warm welcome

Mike Phillips:

1. The car wash is a zep (not sure what the # are) powder solution that i dilute down with hot water to make sure the product is completely dissolved then I add cold water to achieve a Luke warm solution.

None of the waxes froze they are kept in a zip-loc bag under my shop bench, but are subject to high temp it the summer time.

the wax is 3m professional formula perfect-it show car paste wax part # 39526 . I felt bad using mentioning someone else"s product here but now you have all the info. I'd like to stick with Meguiar's

this is what is driving me crazy. I think you call them "spiders webs"?

and there all over the truck

I will try to get a good pic. of the orange peel but with the digital camera on its highest resolution it is still limited.

I have just read more and I know where most of MY problems are coming from. I never washed out my applicators ever. and I was using the wrong material to wax on/ wax off.

I am looking at the Porter Cable 7424 with different options which brings up another question what size pad should I get? I have seen a multitude of sizes and the size will depict what size counter weight should be used.

After I get the paint back in shape I know I'm gong to go after the NXT generation from what I have seen here that some nice stuff

the other items I looking to purchases but might be a waste of money.are:
        M-0116 Medium-Cut Cleaner 16 oz. Might be to aggressive
        M-0216 Fine-Cut Cleaner 16 oz. Might be to aggressive
        M-0316 Machine Glaze 16 oz.
        M-0416 Heavy-Cut Cleaner 16 oz. Might be to aggressive
        M-0516 New Car Glaze 16 oz.
        M-0716 Show Car Glaze 16 oz.
        M-0916 Swirl Remover 16 oz.
        M-8032 Speed Glaze 32 oz.
        M-8232 Body Shop Professional Swirl Free Polish 32 oz.
        W-4000 Cut 'N Shine® Wool Pad 8"
        W-7000 SOFTBUFF™ Cutting Pad 8"
        W-8000 Soft Buff® Foam Polishing Pads 8"
        W-9000 SOFTBUFF™ Finishing Pad 8"
        wall:
        Hay do you know anybody in the north east how will tutor an old guy? Tee Hee

Thank you
        Rich:
        Last edited by Beercan31; Apr 7, 2004, 05:21 PM.
        Rich
        DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

If you want to learn more about paint care and detailing in general, a good place to start is the new Meguiar’s FAQ.

Man That should be mandatory reading before you are aloud to post,I did learn that I'm doing it all wrong, Now I can forget all about the other items I looking to purchases but might be a waste of money.are: will be a waste of money.
          Rich
          DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

Re: Thank You for the warm welcome

Originally posted by Beercan31
            the other items I looking to purchases but might be a waste of money.are:
            M-0116 Medium-Cut Cleaner 16 oz. Might be to aggressive
            M-0216 Fine-Cut Cleaner 16 oz. Might be to aggressive
            M-0316 Machine Glaze 16 oz.
            M-0416 Heavy-Cut Cleaner 16 oz. Might be to aggressive

I am pretty sure the above are designed for use with a rotary buffer only, not the PC you mentioned

W-4000 Cut 'N Shine® Wool Pad 8"
            W-7000 SOFTBUFF™ Cutting Pad 8"
            W-8000 Soft Buff® Foam Polishing Pads 8"
            W-9000 SOFTBUFF™ Finishing Pad 8"
            The 8" pads are also for a rotary, you want the smaller ones for use with the PC....Let me also recommend that you pick up some M-83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish

M-83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish

Comment

Thanks Bri9801

I've been doing it wrong for so long if almost feels right.

Now it's back to reading FAQ'S
              Rich
              DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');