• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help restoring headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help restoring headlights

Hey guys, I'm working on my headlights right now and I'm having trouble removing some surface haze. I am using an electric power drill working with the Meg's headlight restoration kit with the plastX. All the yellowing is gone but the plastic in line with headlight bulbs is still sort of hazy and spotty looking. Ultimate Compound seemed to do a little more than plastX, but maybe it's just my imagination. I'm not sure how to upload pics, for some reason I got the mobile app, uploaded the pic and it made it my avatar..not sure why.

Re: Need some help restoring headlights

It is probably the remaining coating that would need to be removed.

UC is certainly a fine option to use, or a very fine sandpaper, like 2000 grit or 3000 grit.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Ok. It is either really tough or maybe it's deep in the lense. Should I wet sand or dry sand if I use the fine sandpaper?

Comment

Wetsand with 2000 then wetsand with 3000 then compound the polish....should come out great after that

Comment

I meant compound THEN polish

Comment

This of course assumes no fogging/water marks to the inside.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I can feel roughness where the hazy patches are. So hopefully it is only on the outside and not all the way through the plastic. I'll try that method benbjam. Thanks!

Comment

get meg's heavy dutly h.l. kit, that has everything you need.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
                  get meg's heavy dutly h.l. kit, that has everything you need.
                  Agreed. The kit works great. Plastx is a good product but it can only do so much. I ended up using the heavy duty kit but instead of the provided plastx I used M105 followed by M205 and finally using the provided sealant. You could do the same with ultimate compound and ultimate polish as well.
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

Well i went out and bought the 3M assorted 1000-2500 grit kit and went at it. I used UC after 2500 and there are still some fine scratches so i'm not done yet. I had to go buy some 3000 grit but I ran out of daylight so i'll finish tmrw. The headlights really look great still.

Comment

I do agree that plastX has its limits. Wet sanding is a must to restore headlights. After all this arm killng work, I'll have to protect my headights. Will UPW do the job or is there a product to prevent the lenses from oxidizing again?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack93 View Post
                        I do agree that plastX has its limits. Wet sanding is a must to restore headlights. After all this arm killng work, I'll have to protect my headights. Will UPW do the job or is there a product to prevent the lenses from oxidizing again?
                        Opti-lens is a UV coating that will keep your lights from fading and oxidizing.
                        Rupes 21 / Flex 3401 / G110v2 / GG3"
                        Thoryamaha919 AKA Evan
                        Click and Like my Facebook Page

Comment

You could pick up some Meg's headlight protectant. Directions state to apply every 6-8 weeks. Walmart has it for a good price.

Opti lens is permanent.
                          99 Grand Prix
                          02 Camaro SS

Comment

A lot of headlights I end up having to start with a 400 grit dry sand....there are HARD materials out there!

Comment

I really like this video. I've actually been looking for a 3" 1200 grit sanding discs but I am not sure who makes them.

http://youtu.be/ACu1yRyjzOU

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');