• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 3 new drying tools: WW Towel, Natural Chamois, and Super Suede (synthetic chamois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 3 new drying tools: WW Towel, Natural Chamois, and Super Suede (synthetic chamois

Not much exciting here, it's a matter of which one dries the car the best.

52* out, and mottled shade through the trees.

1) the Super Suede is not very good. It loads up with water quickly, wrings out poorly (holds too much water after wringing) then loads up quickly again. It seems to push water around on the car, and what is left is large droplets, not the tiny ones that evaporate in seconds.

I would go so far as to recommend Meguiar's pull this product; it isn't up to their standards. I won't use it again, I might not even give it away.

2) The natural chamois is a pleasant surprise. It's been a few years since I've used one, and it does a nice job of holding a lot of water and it wrings nicely. It has the advantage of consistent behavior from start to finish (in comparison to the ww towel).

3) The ww towel, when completely dry, has no equal. There is no comparison, a dry ww towel blows away the other two products. HOWEVER. When it gets wet, after "dry" and before "sopping", it isn't quite as good as the natural chamois at complete drying. The best way to use it is folded, and turning frequently to put a dry side against an already dried panel.

To me, I would choose the products in this order:

1) The ww towel. If you use the water sheeting method, the ww towel will be fine.

2) The natural chamois. If you haven't used one for a while, say hello to an old friend.

3) I would choose an old bath towel over the super suede drying towel; why would I buy a product when I had something already (like an old bath towel) that worked better?

Best recommendation, regardless, is to use two products or methods in tandem. one in each hand. use two ww towels, or a ww towel and a chamois, or an Absorber and a ww towel. That's what works best.

Tom
    As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Mosca, I think you've been reading my mind. These are pretty much the same findings that I have. I differ in the fact that I just don't like chamois and find that they seem to leave some type of film on my black paint.

I don't care for the Super Suede towel as it just doesn't do enough to truly "help" the drying process.
    Quadruple Honda Owner
    Black cars are easy!

Comment

Noticed the same film from the chamois too.

Comment

You know, I have a few of the WW's and they are great. I wish I could find them locally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The inability for the MF chamois to be washed made it out of the question for me. Never been a fan of geniune chamois.

Thanks for the review!!!

Comment

Yep, blot with chamois... wipe with WW!
          Boss_429

Comment

I didn't use the chamois on a dark car, just on the white car. Streaking and residue would be a BIG detraction.

Regarding the super suede, though, it was not a good tool at all.

Tom
            As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Boss_429
              Yep, blot with chamois... wipe with WW!

Blotting is one of the best drying techniques. It is virtually guaranteed not to scratch or swirl as the wiping motion is eliminate. That is the method I used on the hood of my WS6 as it scratched very easily!

I read somewhere that chamois will pull wax off the paint. I don't know if it is true or not. But if you blot with it, that should not be an issue.

I have the chamois but have not used it yet. I report on it as soon as I try it.

RamAirV1
              Last edited by RamAirV1; May 5, 2005, 07:18 PM.
              2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
              2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Drying technique

So I have bought my first BLACK car and love it when it's clean which isn't very often I find out ...I noticed this morning after cleaning it, a haze and I bet it's from the natural chamois !!...it's only a month old so I"m trying to do everything right to keep it pristine...going to NXT Paste wax it this weekend and will post before and after pictures...any suggestions from black car owners on the best way to dry a black car after washing (with Mequirs NXT Gen car wash of course !) THANKS
                Bill Poirier
                West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

WW??

What do you guys mean by the WW towel? The only thing I see is the water magnet drying towel?? Is that the one you meant? I almost bought the super suede drying cloth yesterday, but opted not to. Glad I didn't, I too have a black truck.
                  Yea, I'm a red hot beaner!!

Comment

Until recently i've always used a natural Chamois but i got myself a WW (waffle weave) towel a month or so ago.

My car being solid black means i have to remove the water asap to prevent water marks (hard water area as well).

Initially i preferred the chamois, but now tend to use a combination of the 2. The WW is excellent when completely dry as mentioned early but IMO is soon starts to just push water around, so i finish off using the chamois to remove the small droplets left behind or sometimes a Megs MF cloth.

Rob

Comment

What do you guys mean by the WW towel? The only thing I see is the water magnet drying towel?? Is that the one you meant? I almost bought the super suede drying cloth yesterday, but opted not to. Glad I didn't, I too have a black truck.

yndio,

I had the same question at first, it means the Waffel Weave towel (also known as the water magnet). Check out this forum where gb387 was nice enough to help us out with the acronyms.

G-

Comment

I agree, the WW towel rocks!!
                        SRT-10 Silver

Comment

Natural chamois is an oil tanned hide, as such you should rinse it a few times to remove any excess oils. After a few uses it no longer will leave a film.

That said, I much prefer the microfiber.

The chamois will become hard after several uses and must be re-oiled. This is done with vegetable oil and only a slight spray is needed, Put it in a baggie and let it set for a few days. Rinse it a few times and you are ready to go again. It is a high maintenance product.
                          Jim
                          My Gallery

Comment

As for drying a black car, after trying several methods, I'm finding the best method for me it to use take the sprayer off the hose when I'm finished washing and rinse the entire car with a steady stream of water to sheet off the beading. Then I use the Absorber on one section at a time, followed by the WW towel to absorb what's left behind from the Absorber. Seems to work pretty well for me.

Tom

Comment

Absorber

Thanks Tom...I'll have to try your method...I've read about a drying "blade" which looks like a modified squeegee for cars...anyone ever use one ??....the makers of California Duster market it as the "California Blade" (or was that OJ ?)
                              Bill Poirier
                              West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');