• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

~Novice Detailer seeking Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ~Novice Detailer seeking Advice

Hello all! The name is Marcin and I am new to these forums and detailing! I have been scouring these forums for almost the last week reading up on every little bit of information I could.

I am getting ready to do my first real detailing session on my truck. I own a 2004 chevrolet trailblazer. Color is Dark spiral grey mettallic. For those who don't know it is a very dark gunmetal type color with some very need properties under various shades of light(dependong on the light sometimes it seems to have a shade of green, blue, or purple mixed in with the grey).

Anyway, I have some light scratches, and light-moderate swirl marks on the hood of the truck I want to get rid off. And the rest of the truck has very light swirl marks with you typical daily driver door moulding scuffs and such. The rear hatch is a story on its own. It has no scratches tat I can see but the paint feels almost like sandpaper. I can see for a fact that the clearcoat is still intact and it reflects like the rest of the car. But it is nowhere near smooth or where it should be.

My primary goal is to get the truck as close to "off the lot" as I can. I want to get the light scratches and swirls off the hood and possibly whatever is on the truck(or at least as much as I can) and try to get the rear hatch as clean as I can.

Here is what I was planning on doing.

Wash--->Meguiar's Clay kit--->Meguiar's SratchX2.0--->meguiar's Ultimate Polish--->Wax---and maybe a second coat of wax

And here are my questions:

1: I saw on this forum a small plastic handle one can attach to the foam applicators to ease use. Where can I find these, I have been searching for days with no luck.

2: I continuously read about soft paint and hard paint. Does anyone know where the paint on my truck falls? And how easy i will be to correct?

3: The rear hatch feels almost like tar. Or if I were to take glue, cover the hatch and throw sand and dirt at it. Is this something I can do with the clay kit? Or should I hit it with a bug/tar remover first? And recommendations on one?

4: After Meguiar's ScratchX2.0 to remove light scratches and swirls, I read that Polishing gives much more depth of color and shine. I am also very interested in using Meguiar's new Black Wax. But read that it does have some abrasive/cleaning qualities. If I put a coat of Polish on, will using the Black Wax, after, default that step? Will the cleaning qualities of BW remove the Polish I just applied?

5: Finally, is there any primary reason to go with 2 coats of wax over a single coat? And if I go with the Black wax as the first coat, can I go over it with my bottle of Gold class Carnauba liquid wax? Will doing that take away from and of the depth or shine the BW gives? Or should I go gold class then over that with Black?

I am planning on doing everything by had as I don't own a DA nor can afford one. Yes I know this will be a very long and PITA process. I will be using foam applicator pads to apply and detailing microfibres to remove. I plan on spending basically sun-up to sun-down doing this tomorrow. Any tips/tricks? ideas? suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to read all this! and thanks in advance for the replies!

Re: ~Novice Detailer seeking Advice

1: I saw on this forum a small plastic handle one can attach to the foam applicators to ease use. Where can I find these, I have been searching for days with no luck.

2: I continuously read about soft paint and hard paint. Does anyone know where the paint on my truck falls? And how easy i will be to correct?
    Not sure, but havent heard it come up often as extreme one way or the other.

3: The rear hatch feels almost like tar. Or if I were to take glue, cover the hatch and throw sand and dirt at it. Is this something I can do with the clay kit? Or should I hit it with a bug/tar remover first? And recommendations on one?
    Clay would be a good choice.

Though if actual tar, you may want to use something like T.R.I.X. or at least TarX to spray the car with first, then wash.
    4: After Meguiar's ScratchX2.0 to remove light scratches and swirls, I read that Polishing gives much more depth of color and shine. I am also very interested in using Meguiar's new Black Wax. But read that it does have some abrasive/cleaning qualities. If I put a coat of Polish on, will using the Black Wax, after, default that step? Will the cleaning qualities of BW remove the Polish I just applied?
    You would want to use either the Ult. Polish, or the Black Wax. Not both.

5: Finally, is there any primary reason to go with 2 coats of wax over a single coat? And if I go with the Black wax as the first coat, can I go over it with my bottle of Gold class Carnauba liquid wax? Will doing that take away from and of the depth or shine the BW gives? Or should I go gold class then over that with Black?
    2 coats if for even coverage... some do it, some dont. The Black Wax followed by Gold Class would count as two coats of wax.

You would want the Black Was first, then wax.

I am planning on doing everything by had as I don't own a DA nor can afford one. Yes I know this will be a very long and PITA process. I will be using foam applicator pads to apply and detailing microfibres to remove. I plan on spending basically sun-up to sun-down doing this tomorrow. Any tips/tricks? ideas? suggestions?
    You may want to plan for another day or so, to be able to rest. Will only be harder when tired.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

After the Ultimate Polish, you might consider Ultimate Wax for your wax step. It's a synthetic that gives a terrific, long-lasting finish, IMO. There's really no reason to put on a coat of carnuba on top unless you're looking for a really deep, liquid finish.

I agree with Murr: Allow two days to do your entire routine by hand. The ScratchX and UP steps will take a long time. You really want to work both products. And, IMO, these steps are the most important. Before I had my PC, I did my Saab (much smaller than your vehicle) by hand, and it took an entire day for washing, claying, SwirlXing; polishing took another half day-plus. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the speedy replies guys!

Now, what would net me a deeper/more fluid polish and a darker color? scratchX-->ultimate Polish-->Ultimate wax-->gold class carnauba? Or scratchX-->black wax--> Gold Class Carnauba?

I cam almost guarentee I will be putting a 2nd coat the gold class to finish off

Also, will the ScratchX rid the imperfections explained above on the hood and rest of vehicle fine? Or will I want to hit it with something like the ultimate compound instead?

Comment

Murr has given you some good information. I have never used scratchx. But I do recommend the ultimate trio (ultimate compound, polish and wax). I have had great success with this combo. Ultimate wax is a sealant so it will give you better longevity than a carnauba.

If you plan to use black wax then just use this after your claying step and you're done. No need to top it off with another coat of anything. This is a good thread to reference.
          http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...-Wax&highlight

I can tell you that my 02 Camarro has hard clear coat. My 99 grand prix and my brothers 03 also have a hard clear coat but not as hard as my camaro. You can reference this spreadsheet.

Originally Posted by cardaddy I updated it tonight with Ferrari Rosso Rubino (Ruby Red Metallic). Did a 355 week before last with a friend, 1 of 1 in
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

wahh, I'm so confused. Ill try taking a picture of some of the blemishes on the car and post them to see what you guys suggest. I'm just afraid the ultimate comound will be too agressive.

And, will there be that much of a noticable difference between in finish the options presented above?

Comment

URL=http://s4.photobucket.com/user/picco26/media/Trailblazer/IMAG1021.jpg.html][/URL]

Here are a few quick shots of the condition of the paint.

ScratchX or ultimate compound?

Comment

Test spot!

Do a test spot with the least aggressive product (ScratchX in this case) first. If that doesn't give the results you're after, step it up to a test spot of UC.

Looking at the pics, I'd say UC will be able to clean that up. Doesn't look too bad and easily fixable..

I assume you're working by hand?
                Originally posted by Blueline
                I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Yes, I am working by hand. I found a little plastic grip handle to attach to the foam applicators to make sure there's even pressure.

Thanks for the link! I think I might to ahead and try clay, scratchX and hit it with the black wax after since I'm doing it by hand and want to finish in a single day.

That porche looked amazing! Great job man! If only I can my 04 tb to look that Purdy.

Comment

Now, what would net me a deeper/more fluid polish and a darker color? scratchX-->ultimate Polish-->Ultimate wax-->gold class carnauba? Or scratchX-->black wax--> Gold Class Carnauba?
                    More of just a personal choice on that one.

Also, will the ScratchX rid the imperfections explained above on the hood and rest of vehicle fine? Or will I want to hit it with something like the ultimate compound instead
                    Working by hand, I would tend to pick the UC.

As far as will it work... that comes down to the paint, how you apply the product, etc. As mentioned, test spot first before doing the whole car.
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Aright, so I went out and purchased the clay kit, scratchX, the black wax, some additional microfiber cloths and foam applicators. I Washed the car, then it began to rain. I guess I am delayed until at least friday(my next day off)

I do have another question though, I ran across a bottle of Turtle Wax Premium Polishing compound when cleaning through some old paint in my closet.

Is this polishing compound any good? Should I keep it around or just dump it? And is this something like the megs ultimate polish? or more the compound you would use to shine up freshly painted clear? Is there anything I'd be able to use the stuff for?

Comment

I think that TW product is more like in between UP and UC - perhaps something like a ScratchX.

IME TW products aren't great, but hey, give it a shot and see for yourself. It certainly shouldn't hurt anything.

At the very least, I'd still keep it for use on door jambs, wheels etc...
                        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Now when you say for use in the door jambs, wheels, etc. What part would this polishing compound play on wheels? And I'd just use it as a normal polish to bring more shine in the hidden areas I don't necessarily want to use the goof stuff on right?

Comment

Well, you could potentially use on wheels for the same reasons you would on paint. To remove light swirls, water spots, other imperfections and to restore a bit of shine.

Yes, basically for the "dirtier" or more hidden areas..

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');