• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New paint .... how long to wait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New paint .... how long to wait?

I got my car back from the body shop just last week. New hood looks fantastic, and they painted the fenders too (missed the front bumper for some reason, some minor wet sanding and touch-up going on to make it look as nice as the new paint. )

I know I need to wait before I can wax (etc) the new paint ... in general, how long? (*whimper*)

Is there anything I can use on the new paint to keep it clean and protected until my waxing rituals start again?
    AIM: PathogenNOS (I'm bored, find me )

In general, you have to wait for about a month or two before you wax the new paint to allow the solvent to evaporate. Here is a article that Mike Phillips wrote regarding that the paint needs to "breathe"
    Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!

Comment

The paint shop had told me to wait a while... and if the weather stayed warm I wouldn't have to wait so long.... I just didn't know how long was long enough!

Thank you for pointing me to the article.
      AIM: PathogenNOS (I'm bored, find me )

Comment

Most painters recommend 30 days.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: New paint .... how long to wait?

I just got my Honda Ridgeline truck back from the body shop. I was side swiped on the passenger's side and the whole side was replaced/repaired and painted. The paint job is fantastic. I took the #80 advice and did the entire truck. The truck is new, maybe 6 months from manufacture? #80 does a great job bringing out a rich shine and was easy to use.

I have some specific questions about my truck and curing conditions. This is a 2006 Honda Ridgeline (Billet Silver). I'm in New Jersey (South) and am headed into the winter. My truck is garage kept and I keep it clean constantly.

1. 30-60 days or more? To wait before wax? It was painted at Honda and dried in the booth. To be safe, should I just wait 90 days and use #80 once a week and Final Inspection daily?

2. As long as we don't get snow and salt, the above program is not a problem unless that is too much #80 use. Unless I use it more of a wipe on and wipe off process and avoid too much elbow? I also have #81 which is less aggressive?

3. If we do get snow and salt, what may be the best way to clean the truck? Carwash? Bucket Wash in Garage? etc? Based on the weather prediction, it does appear I will have at least 2 weeks before snow and salt?

So, what may be best in my specific situation? It is unfortunate the cure period is in the winter although our winters are mild and snow and salt are only occassional.

Comment

1. You might call and ask them. But if it had some kind of drying treatment, I dont think it would take a full 90 days. But you can do that routine if you like, or at least for 60 days, etc.

2. Are you applying by hand? But yes, no need to work the #80 into the paint with excessive passion if there is nothing that needs fixed. It can just be rubbed in gently to get the protection onto the paint.

3. Hard to say... those are the situations when you want the most soap and water to get the grit off safely, but is the hardest time to wash the car.

Sounds like you are doing well enough. Remember we are just talking 2 months without wax... Most peoples cars go 7 or 8 years with no wax, so it shouldnt fall apart after the first snow.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
              Remember we are just talking 2 months without wax... Most peoples cars go 7 or 8 years with no wax, so it shouldnt fall apart after the first snow.
              That's funny, it's also sad because it's trends toward being true for Joe Consumer, not our customers however.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

It is painfull to have to leave an area unprotected.....
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                  That's funny, it's also sad because it's trends toward being true for Joe Consumer, not our customers however.
                  No doubt, I pamper my vehicles as well as others in this forum.

Thanks to top shelf body work and paint, I am beginning my recovery. It did take me rejecting their first paint attempt though.

I just followed the #80 with #81 and the shine is even better? December 12th and its still 60 degrees in NJ. Hopefully by first salt/snow a reasonable cure has occured. Did I read correctly that using products like 80 and 81 the cure process is somewhat assisted?

Comment

My own personal opinion is to wait about 90 days in colder weather before applying a wax.

#80 can be used right away though.
                    r. b.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');