• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

36 Lincoln Zephyr extreme color sand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36 Lincoln Zephyr extreme color sand

Here is the follow up of a post I started last week. This car had the worst texture, sags, and runs in the paint I had ever seen.
    Process:
    3 Blocking steps with various Meguiars unigrit sand paper 1000-2500.
    Machine sanded with Meguiars G110v2, 3 and 6 inch Meguiars Unigrit sanding discs 2000-3000
    Cut with Meguiars G110V2, MF Cutting Disc, M101, and M105.
    Polished with Meguiars G 110V2, MF Finishing Disc, and M205.
    Waxed with Meguiars G 110V2, W9207 Foam Finishing Pad and Ultimate Paste Wax.

Before.Texture and paint run in rear quarter pannel.

After.

Beginning of block sanding.

More block sanding.

Side vent texture before.

After.

"A" pillar texture before.

After.

Hood before.

After.

Texture on top of hood before.

After.

Finish Photos.

Thanks for looking
    Detail Werks
    Derek Bemiss
    SEMA/Ford Care Care Team Leader 2004 through 2012.

Re: 36 Lincoln Zephyr extreme color sand

Wow top notch work, Derek!!! The difference you made is mind blowing and out of this world!!! That's what you call a show car finish.
    2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Impressive work indeed! How many man hours did that take? Looks like someone could use a bit more practice with their spray gun.....
      Brandon
      Custom Cleaning Concepts, LLC
      (435) 249-4CCC (4222)
      "When you want your ride as clean as can be, you need to call CCC!"

Comment

Thanks guys, we logged more than 120 hours on that one.
        Detail Werks
        Derek Bemiss

Comment

Nice job!
          I can't believe how bad that orange peal was.
          Was that the way that particular paint sets up?

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Once again, awesome work Derek!

The paint looks beautiful now.
            Originally posted by Blueline
            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

OUTSTANDING!

My body hurts just looking at the work.

Great job...

Bill

Comment

Mot sure why the paint had so much texture but I have a couple of idea though.
                Detail Werks
                Derek Bemiss

Comment

What sanding block did you use when sanding by hand? Those reflections are razor straight! Did you use hardwood sanding block?

Comment

Top notch work!! You turned around that hack of a paint job. I'm pretty sure I could have rolled the paint on better. The holes cut out in the hood must have been done by the painter as well. Again, you made lemonade out of lemons on this one.

Comment

Really a masterpiece you just created

Alot of hard long work indeed my friend!!!!
                      ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
                      You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
                      Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Yea this was a cool job. Derek had shown and explained to me a lot about the work he did to this baby. The color REALLY came out and popped after some clarity was given with the time spent on wet sanding and buffing in the hands of an experienced [to put it lightly ] guy who loves hot rod style paint!

Correct me if i'm wrong but it looks like the painter laid down a solid color coat since i dont see too many imperfections in the base in the after pics. So it would appear that the painter got sloppy or impatient on the clear. I dunno, Derek please chime in since its hard to tell from pics...

But i have a couple other questions:

1] How many layers of clear were you working with?

2] Did you use the DA sander for the initial knock down of the clear or for the finish steps? I definitely saw hand patterns in the pics.. so just curious what order you used DA and Hand for the majority of accessible areas.

3] Since all of the panels have either a pronounced or slight curvature to them; what block(s) did you primarily use? Im assuming you possibly used a semi hard foam for the majority of the "flatter" panels?
                        Christopher Brown | OCDCarCare Los Angeles - Auto Detailing Services & Training Courses
                        OCDCarCare.com | FACEBOOK| Detailing Article Archive | INSTAGRAM
                        2013 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, 2015 SEMA Car Crazy Corral

Comment

Hey Chris sorry for the delay ed answers, I'm not exactly sure how much clear was on the car as I do not use a paint meter but the painter said 6 coats.
                          We used wooden blocks for our first steps 800 grit - 1500 then moved to disc's for finishing.
                          Detail Werks
                          Derek Bemiss

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');