• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using the DAPS for my first full correction (Picture Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the DAPS for my first full correction (Picture Heavy)

I have a 2009 Honda Odyssey that I try to keep clean and waxed, but never really 'Detailed' it before.
    Today I did my first full paint correction after a week of preparation.

Here are some of the products I planned to use.

It started with creating some shade to work in. It was just over 90 today with bright sun, so I rigged up a canopy.

Amazing what you can do with a tarp, some PVC and a few bungee cords.

After washing the way I have learned on this forum and claying the whole thing, I taped off the seams and trim.

The paint is in pretty decent shape as I have used NXT 2.0 since the van was new.

There were a few pretty ugly scratches.
    Most notably, this one right in the center of the picture.

And these along the bottom of the passenger slider.

It's hard to see in this picture, but there was a pretty good scratch in the left shadow and that line above the body ridge went the entire length of the door.

I chucked up the Dual Action Power System and started with Ultimate Compound on the burgundy pad for 4 to 5 section passes. I ran the drill at top speed and tried to move slowly. I tried to keep in mind all the great tips I have read on this forum about polishing: Primed the pad, Not too much product, 50/50 overlap, Clean the pad frequently, move slow...
    My biggest problems were staying within a section and not let the buffer creep out of my imaginary lines, and trying to clean the pad on the fly without the DAPS handle slinging around and hitting something.

Three hours later I switched to the Yellow pad and started in with Ultimate Polish. This went much quicker since I was getting my technique dialed in. During the wipe off the paint was literally Squeaky Clean!

Finally I took off the tape, QD cleaned the lines and applied 2 coats of Ultimate Liquid Wax with the black pad to just about everything but the glass.

Scratches - GONE.

Even that monster across the bottom of the door.

I think it looks a whole lot brighter and the reflections are sharper.
    I apologize for not getting a full beauty shot but it was late and I was tired. I will try to add one tomorrow.

All in all I am very pleased with how the paint came out. The DAPS did a wonderful job and was very comfortable to use. The Ultimate line of products were easy to use and there is still a lot left in the bottles. The finish is SO slick and smooth I can hardly believe it.
    It almost makes me want to trade cars and get something black or dark blue so that the shine really shows.

Do you guys think a full size DA would make it even better?

Feedback or questions are welcomed.

Re: Using the DAPS for my first full correction (Picture Heavy)

Looks good. Just for my own info, how do you go over the paint that is taped off? By hand I'm assuming?

Comment

Great review and good work!
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

First off, great job!
        You've learned a lot and put all to good work!

Your canopy is funny and very scary. You can get an EZ Up for around $60 bucks, it's a good investment.

I think you taped off way to much. When I work on these van I have never taped them. I only use tape on the plastic parts that I don't want to contaminate with wax/polish. As far as the edge of you the panel, you'll learn in time how to polish right up to the edge without getting product into the cracks or on the plastic.

Your comment on how you used and learned how to use the DAPS is exactly how your suppose to do it and your results show that you did it properly.

and you can wax your glass to, but I'd recommend a spray wax for glass.

Picture heavy? In my book that usually means 20-50 pics or more.
        Next time take lot's of pictures. Especialy before pics. They are what make you after pics pop.
        Take a lot of pics when working, even if you think you won't use them. But when you sit down to do your write up you have plenty to chose from.

Black cars, ask your friends. That's how you learn, by doing.

A DAP will be a big change from the DAPS. Much bigger pads and less work in less time. So a DA mightily work better but you did a great job with the little pads. The pads are the same so I don't think a "better" job could be done with basically a "bigger" pad. You used the same pad a DAP just smaller. And most of the time a smaller pad works better at cutting then a big pad.

Hope that's helps you out a little and again GREAT JOB!!!!

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Good stuff.
          Though you may have taped up more than usual, i still think you did an immaculate job taping. Usually my tape jobs are very choppy. yours look good.
          And I respect the tarp creation. looks like you even have tennis balls at the bottom of the pvc pipe. doin it with what you got...not bad.

I have a DAPS but mainly use it on interior.
          But the little correction i have used it for, the G110v2 DA with a similar sized pads had just about the same result. (i was using MF pads)

I too am not big on pictures I more or less jsut want to get the job done, but Please has a point in the importance of befores and taking pictures at each step.
          Please, Stoops, Marc and Superior Shine (there are a few more but I don;t recall names right now) are pretty much masters at write ups. Who knew some of the best detailers get their details right?!

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
            Your canopy is funny and very scary. You can get an EZ Up for around $60 bucks, it's a good investment.
            Link?? I found this:

I'ts $131 tho

Comment

^^^^
              Yes that's the one.
              Check Big 5s. That's were I get all of mine. They alwasy have the best price.
              I got mine for 60

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
                First off, great job!
                You've learned a lot and put all to good work!

Thanks for the encouragement all!

The Canopy only cost me $15. It was anchored to the house and wind gusts barely ruffled the edges.
                I have no need to go mobile and got 12' x 20' shade; That's only 6cents a square foot.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');