• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is normal wobble?? New Backing plate possible issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is normal wobble?? New Backing plate possible issue.

I unpacked all my new items today. As I decided to try the new DA MF system I noticed the backing plate screw looked like it was at a slight tilt/angle. I'm thinking it may be a bad one. Would too much wobble affect the MF system process by not staying flat on the surface? I have a video of it. Please let me know. I have 2 full corrections coming up and I need this to be right if it isn't.

Video link here.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
    Show N Shine Car Detailing - Quality Care, Each and Every Time

Re: What is normal wobble?? New Backing plate possible issue.

I can't see the video.. i'd really like to see it.

But I have the same issue with my backing plate and it didn't really affect the performance of the polisher and the polishes I was using. I think you should be fine.
    2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

I don't think you should use it like that. It looks like it will be cutting at an angle. I don't know how much it tilts in person but from the video it looks like its at an angle.

Comment

I contacted the company I purchased everything from and will wait for a response tomorrow. I need the dang thing like NOW. I don't trust it to work properly and surely don't want to create any problems with a customer's paint.

Comment

Here are a couple options for others not being able to see it. Just realized I could use the embed option. All option below work.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Yeah I have a BP that does that too and it hasn't given me anything to be worried about.
            2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

No thanks Marc. I won't trust this BP to do the job right. If the tools aren't right, then the job won't be either. Here is a picture I took of it sitting on top of my workbench. Notice the level behind it, showing the workbench top is level. The BP is, as you see, sitting on top of the screw. Um a little crooked there. This actually shows it off better than the video. Hopefully Meg's doesn't have a whole batch of these like this. The company I purchased it from is sending me a new one right right away no charge to replace it. They were quick to respond and take care of me. Great customer service!!

Don't get me wrong, I understand some wobble is ok, as far as tolerance, but not like this. I'm sure Meg's wants to know some of their backing plates have issues like this.

Comment

Woah - that looks pretty bad!

Is that sitting squarely on the screw? If so, good call getting a new one
                Originally posted by Blueline
                I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

yes sitting right on the end of the screw! I noticed is was weird when putting it on at first and knew it was not formed in the plate right. Of course the video shows the wobble.

Talk about a possible nightmare polishing or cutting with it, lol. That will NOT correct/shave the surface down even. I could imagine my first full correction and it ending up screwing up things worse than I ever imagined. Now would that happen who knows, but I wasn't about ready to find out. I did do some messing with it on the wing and trunk lid of my car and I was really disappointed that it wasn't removing much on the wing or trunk. In fact I think it added some scratching on the trunk lid itself. So when the new one comes tomorrow (they're even overnighting a new one to me, I'll be a customer for life just because of that) I'll give it another shot.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');