• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camaro Matt Stripe clean up, M105? Really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camaro Matt Stripe clean up, M105? Really?

Yes you read it right. M105 cleaned these very dirty and damaged stripes.
    These stripes have bothered my customer since he got this car.
    Months ago I used vinyl cleaner and D156 for some protection. That didn't work.
    So this detail he showed me a video from Adams and they used paint products on them and they came out the way my customer wanted.
    I called Meg's just to get there position on it they said don't touch them, there Matt and there's nothing we recommend for them. Well that's not good enough for me.

So it was up to me to figure out how to clean these up and protect them from more damage.
    I tried a few waxes and nothing really happened so on to some compound 205 didn't do much so I grabbed my trusted M105 on a yellow pad and my DA and it cleaned them up spectacularly. I showed my customer the process and he approved.
    After 105, PlastX was apply and removed alot of dirt embedded into the stripes. Then, with the customer approval I applied Tire and Trim Gel.

Yes they are shinny and not really Matt. But over time and a few washed the T&TG will be removed and the Matt Finish will return.
    Now these are cleaned and protected.

After the first few passes with 105

What my pad looked like

After 105 it still needed some more love. So I tryed PlastiX and I was shocked at the amount of dirt that PlastX picked up

The test spot with PlastX

After 105, PlastX & T&TG on both stipes

Tell me that doesn't look better! Clean and protected!

Rear stripes

Some general pics of the car

DetailingByM.com

Re: Camaro Matt Stripe clean up, M105? Really?

Better with a little gloss than dirty.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I assume you did not use much pressure with the DA. Those pinstrips on the outer edges could be an issue....would hate to remove them during buffing. I'm curious what speed you used with the buffer.
      -Bob
      NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

I use regular to heavy pressure and up to speed 6. I wasn't gentle with these stripes at all.
        I barely touched to pin strips. Just a little.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Nice work - trying the M105 was brave!

You polished those stripes as if they were paint, so why not just wax them for protection?
          Originally posted by Blueline
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Well as with everything I do the test spots and wax didn't do much. Plus it's still vinyl so vinyl protection was needed after cleaning.
            I use paint products to clean/fix the damage. I didn't just go straight to 105, I built up to it.
            "Use the least aggressive method first". I used 38, 39, 40, APC, 66, 151, 156, & 205 they didn't do the job well enough. But the 105, PlastX & T,T Gel worked.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');