• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Audi White Paint - Gone Grayish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi White Paint - Gone Grayish

Hi All

Just bought a used 2001 A6 Audi. I am looking at getting some detailing done and I am a little lost on how to approach this. I think I may need to spend some money on a decent polisher and a paint cleaner to get what I need, but want to know what you have to say.

The stock white colour has gone towards a yellow/ivory/greyish tint all over the car. Not blotchy, all even all over. There are two panels that recently got redone (prior to me buying) and it is the correct W3 color, and it matches the proper white found in the inner door well.

Is this considered Oxidization? I know that the car has lived in high level UV climates for its life and no proper detailing has ever been done. I am rather familier with the Meguiars and Autoglym line.

I've not been able to use Meguires #1, #2, Scratch X 2.0 or the Ultimate Compound to change the color, which leads me to believe that the issue is under the clear coat.

IIRC the Audi isn't a single stage paint due to no paint coming off on my cloth. My methods to try to treat the area have been only by hand. My wife is leaving for a week to the UK for business and I would like to surprise her with a real white car upon her her return.

Pix below are the hood which represent the rest of the color of the A6, and the panel is the recently painted panel which is the right color. Thanks again for all your input! And YES, I have used the search function and have not found anything specific to this that has been resolved

Re: Audi White Paint - Gone Grayish

Typically, yellowing can occur from a couple of different things: too many coats of clear over white, using contaminated clear to spray, or even the wrong hardener.
    Are you positive that the yellowing is on an area that was painted by the factory?
    ChrisThompsonsCustom@gmail.com
    www.ChrisThompsonsCustom.webs.com
    (352) 897-0050

Comment

Chris thanks for the reply

100% it is on the factory areas, as I mentioned in the post the yellowing is all over the rest of the car, other than the recent sprayed panels. Roof, hood, passenger side and drivers side. Even the engine bay has the pure white colour that the vehicle is to be.

There is no "seams" that indicate the audi has been fully repainted or re-coated.

Comment

When you say you could not use the UC, you mean that you tried them?
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Bad grammar maybe lol. Yes I've tried them and no change

Comment

Nothing you do is going to change that, the problem has to do with age of the factory paint and difference in paint formulas. Being that it's panel to panel makes it much more noticeable. I had the same issue with my wife's car. If you don't want to take my word for it, you can google it and I am sure you will get the same answer.
            Last edited by STiKen; Apr 5, 2013, 10:41 PM. Reason: Autocorrect is a pain

Comment

Well before we all jump to conclusions. Let's check the facts.
              You have white paint. I charge more for cleaning white paint in this shape.
              It's dirty. Get the dirt out of the paint and then you can speculate what's wrong with it, if anything.
              So wash, clay (extremal well) then use a compound to work out even more dirt from the paint. Also this will flatten and make the surface more reflective.
              Polish, then wax after you've approve the shine. Waxing is the Last Step.
              White Wax would be my choice. It has cleaners in it and other things white paint needs.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

I bought the Meguiars Dual Action Polisher and #85... wouldn't even make a dent to change the colour. Looks like it really has shifted the paint colour under the clear coat. Oh well.

Comment

Paint shifting?
                  Where did you come up with that one?

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');