• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surprise! Badge Replacement, Porsche Boxster.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprise! Badge Replacement, Porsche Boxster.

I showed up to do a mini detail and the customer asked me if I could put this on. I said of course, anything for this customer! She's my favorite and I wish all people were like her and her husband! So she handed me dental floss, a new badge and I was on my way.

Preparation:
    After washing the car, claying a D156 Express Wax was applied I was ready to work on it.
    So I guess that's prep.

Tools:
    Glide dental floss. ( I wasn't prepared to do this and I would have preferred fishing line. I'm getting some to keep in the van for next time)
    Plastic and Metal Razors. The metal razor was used to sharpen the plastic razor so don't freak
    I didn't use a metal razor on the paint.
    Tarminator to remove the adhesive on a terry towel.
    M105 to polish it up
    D156 to shine it up

Here's the broken one that she's had for years. So it's about time to replace it.

Action shots of the process:

Dental Floss. I just gently slid it through the foam adhesive. Broke a couple of times. Fishing line works way better.

On to the foam residue. With a sharp plastic blade I pushed to foam off the paint without causing damage.

Here's me sharpening the plastic blade with the metal blade.

All the foam off and on to the adhesive residue

Sprayed a little Tarminator on the adhesive

Gently rubbed in a back and forth motion for a minute or 4 and it came off with ease.

Micro fiber and M105 and the little scratches and just dirt around the old emblem were all gone and ready for the new badge

DetailingByM.com

Re: Surprise! Badge Replacement, Porsche Boxster.

Been thinking about doing this to my Jetta after it became an "Etta". I guess I am cheap and don't want to spend $50 for set of new letters.
    Art Layton
    2009 Jetta TDI

Comment

Been thinking of de-badging my G35.....never really like the INFINITI on the back trunk
      "STRIFE" aka Phil
      2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
      2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
      2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Comment

Originally posted by DogParkGuy View Post
        Been thinking about doing this to my Jetta after it became an "Etta". I guess I am cheap and don't want to spend $50 for set of new letters.
        An etta, lol!

DetailingByM.com

Comment

It would've looked better if she had left the badge off all together IMO

Nice job on your part though

Comment

The s needs to be replaced now. Good job and nice write up too.

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious: Did you use a jig to place the new badge? And yes, she should have had the "S" replaced as well. Oh well, live and learn!
              Composers shouldn't think too much, it interferes with their plagiarism. -- Howard Dietz

Comment

Originally posted by fullbirdmusic View Post
                I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious: Did you use a jig to place the new badge? And yes, she should have had the "S" replaced as well. Oh well, live and learn!
                No, just a piece of tape and the before picture for the correct placement.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

I wish I had seen this a couple of months ago when I replaced the 5.0 badge on my Mustang with a matte black one. I used a plastic pry tool, heat, and Goof Off (or was it Goo Gone?). I laid down painters tape to make lining up the new badge (without indexing posts) a breeze. Where the chemicals touched the edges of the painters tape, it kind of raised my clear coat a little and made me very upset!
                  2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');