• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

meguiars ultimate wax vs. Gold Class Carnauba Plus Liquid Wax vs. NXT liquid wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• meguiars ultimate wax vs. Gold Class Carnauba Plus Liquid Wax vs. NXT liquid wax

hey guy's

its time to go get a new wax for this summer and when looking in the wax section at Canadian tire i see the 3 different meguiars liquid waxes and trying to decide whether to get meguiars ultimate liquid wax,Gold Class Carnauba Plus Liquid Wax or NXT liquid wax. my car is a dark charcoal color and I'm looking for a deep dark reflection, longevity isn't the main concern as i like to go out and re wax the car every so often.

this our car, a mazda 3 please ignore the ugly winter wheels for now

Re: meguiars ultimate wax vs. Gold Class Carnauba Plus Liquid Wax vs. NXT liquid wax

NXT 2.0 or one you didn't list named black wax.

Black wax is like $11 and does amazing things.
    Nice mazda btw.

Comment

Ultimate Liquid Wax is my favorite. It is very durable, will last a long time and gives the paint a good reflective look. And I use it for its durability and ease of use rather than for looks.

But since you said you were going for the best look; M26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax is my favorite for looks. It doesn't last too long but it gives the paint a glow and a sort of wet look. It is excellent on black paint so I am guessing it will be just as good on dark grey.

I use both Ultimate Liquid Wax and M26 and am very satisfied.

Comment

Re: meguiars ultimate wax vs. Gold Class Carnauba Plus Liquid Wax vs. NXT liquid wax

Ultimate liquid wax has polymers in it and in reality is a sealant. Longest lasting of the ones you mentioned and will give you great reflection.
        Gold Class carnauba will give the paint a deeper warmer look.

You can apply 1 coat of Ultimate Liquid wax and then after 12 hours top it with M26 or Gold Class Carnauba for a deeper warm glow.

The only thing to remember is you cant top a sealant with a cleaner wax or it will remove the sealant.

Comment

I say Black Wax!
          but if those are you only choices I'd say NXT
          and topping wax is a waste of time and money.
          when you top a wax with another they don't stick to each other and sometimes you'll remove more of the first coat.
          As pro I go for the best wax for the job and that's it.
          No topping, no waiting just do the job look at the results and switch products if it doesn't work.
          But alot of enthusiast still top wax with wax so do what you like I'm just informing you of the facts and that facts say topping is a waist.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

I agree with Mario on the toping thing, however i own a civic burgundy with black roof, a pure red ibiza, a green civic 93 single stage, and a white stratus 2000.

I own all the wax you say. And i must say:

Nxt 2.0 was my goto on civic and ibiza it works good as protection and reflection, but since i got Ultimate Paste Wax, i like more the look on the burgundy, the black i see the same.

On stratus i use next because is cheaper and the car is white, so im just looking for protection.

On the single i use carnauba becase is very oily and single stage love this product, the other 2 are a pain in the behind to remove from single stage, even when i have the surface well prepared (with my noob skills but prepared).

So if you are looking for protection i would stay with ultimate, i can tell you with regular weekend 2 buckets wash ultimate have lasted about month and a half with ugly sun, gold class about a week, and next about a month.

All cars sit inside but no roof to protect it.

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
              I say Black Wax!
              but if those are you only choices I'd say NXT
              and topping wax is a waste of time and money.
              when you top a wax with another they don't stick to each other and sometimes you'll remove more of the first coat.
              As pro I go for the best wax for the job and that's it.
              No topping, no waiting just do the job look at the results and switch products if it doesn't work.
              But alot of enthusiast still top wax with wax so do what you like I'm just informing you of the facts and that facts say topping is a waist.

Hmm,Waste of time ? I must have missed that factoid,
              I believe I was giving him 3 options ,What some people consider a waste of time others consider a vital step.
              Different sealants ,waxes, or combinations all give a slightly different look to a vehicle depending on color and other variables in my humble opinion.
              If it is pleasing to your eye , if you want a cold mirror like reflection or a deep warm glow to the paint ,it is really up to the end user.
              Having several sealants and waxes at my disposal ,I do enjoy using a carnauba on top of a sealant on occassion.

Comment

The facts are facts.
                Someone did a study on toping wax and these were his results
                Wax removes wax.

The solvents in your wax will remove dry wax.

But do what you want. I'm just stating facts.
                So why not 10 layers of wax? See doesn't make sense.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
                  The facts are facts.
                  Someone did a study on toping wax and these were his results
                  Wax removes wax.

The solvents in your wax will remove dry wax.

But do what you want. I'm just stating facts.
                  So why not 10 layers of wax? See doesn't make sense.
                  But I thought NXT 2.0 was a sealant, not a wax. Thus, it might make sense to apply a wax like Gold Class Carnauba Plus on top of the NXT 2.0 sealant, Right?

Comment

Why would you do that?
                    But whatever, do what you want.
                    I have never done this in my life and my the cars I detail look freak'en awesome.
                    I got asked once "Do you have special paint on your car?" and all I had on it was Quick N Slick on it which is a spray N wipe product.

Now think about wax and sealants.
                    What do they do and how do they do it?

They are designed to protect and stop things from sticking to them so they create a non-binding surface.
                    So if you try to put something, wax or sealant it's not going to stick like you think it will.

My reference to a waist of time is that your doing 2x the work and are you really helping or hurting your paint. You are also doubling your costs. Now multiply all that work per car over your lifetime and that's alot of time.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

My method for applying wax is I will apply ULW and then 2-3 months later apply M26, then 2-3 months later apply ULW and so on. Any thoughts?

Also, I would not personally apply ULW and then the same day or day after apply M26.

And that is an interesting point that putting wax on top of wax could remove it. Or if it doesn't remove wax, what happens since the wax can't bond to the paint because there is already wax on the paint? And about applying UQW for example?

Comment

I use 2 coats of Last Step Product on every car I do, whether it is 2 coats of sealant, 1 coat of sealant with one coat wax or 2 coats of wax.

10 coats ? No thanks, not a big fan of layering.

Comment

Gold Class also has "tech" polymers in a blend which is likely to be as durable as any other wax. It all depends on the finish you want on top of the prep work. Wax is just a protectant for the polish job.
                          Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                          4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                          First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Nice to see some more Mazda love here! I have an '04 winning blue hatch 2.3. I would suggest Ultimate Wax. I have never used it, but I have used the spray wax version of it and it gives the car a different look. I experimented with the clay bar kit last week which took off the NXT I had put on last month so I put UQW on and my paint reflects and glows better than before. And the water sheeting with the quik wax is pretty neat, I'd only imagine its better with the real wax. On another note, I like the blacked out badges and the Mazda emblem. I'd like to do that with mine.

Comment

Here is a great article on topping.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40089-topping-definition-how-top-also-called-topping.html

I also use the topping method for an added layer of protection and looks. For example I have used D151 on its own and it only lasts 1 to 2 months. I have also topped it with Collonite 845 and the protection lasts 6+ months.

Whatever sealant you use, I like DG105, just follow the directions on curing and then top with Carnuba wax or hybrid wax/sealant. I have 3 daily drivers that I test different products on; 1 with just Meg's UPW, 1 with Collonite 845 and 1 with DG 105 topped with 845. All 3 are holding up well in the NYC winter but the 105/845 combo has a better shine and the beading is more consistent on each panel.

So I say test it out on your own vehicles, 2 coats of sealant, sealant topped with Nuba, 2 coats of Nuba and see which combo you like better. In general you should do 2 coats to ensure even coverage.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
                              "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');