• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

taking the paint off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taking the paint off?

okay I've heard some horror stories of what can happen when a machine buffer gets into the hands of someone new at this (ie: me) and heard it can go through paint in seconds..

how does this happen? too much pressure? speed set to high? both?

what should I know as a noob?

Re: taking the paint off?

Well, you really dont want (or from your pics need) a rotary buffer.

Just a regular Dual Action Polisher will be the best thing, and that already makes things milder and safer. You can look at the Meguiars G220 model to see what those are like.

But as far as why damage would happen, yes, it would be too much speed, too much pressure, and too much time in one spot. Some combination of the 3.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Also a bad technique, too agressive pad and compound.

Comment

thanks for the info, was just curious really.

Comment

OMG that is my feat too!!!

Comment

Well I know others have broken through/burned paint. In my 30+ years I have never done this. I've just always been careful, something I have always done with power tools. So I'd say you'll be just fine. Use common sense and don't go crazy and treat the tool with respect.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
              Well I know others have broken through/burned paint. In my 30+ years I have never done this. I've just always been careful, something I have always done with power tools. So I'd say you'll be just fine. Use common sense and don't go crazy and treat the tool with respect.

im justa greenhorn, but find this advise very good. keep the buffer moving. dont be a fraid to stop and lay the back of your hand on the surface. if its hot, yer over working that area. the buffer will build up a lot of heat real quick if it is set in one spot, which will cause burn through. let the buffer,pad, and compound do the work. it doesnt need to be forced down onto the surface. top speed of the buffer isnt alwy necessary,either.
              a good suggestion is to go to the scrap yard and pick up a hood/fender and practice.
              just take you time and check your progress often. i also use a dual action buffer for final polish. it is noext to impossible to mess up a paint job with a dual action . its what i started with and there are jobs i stick specifically with it.

Comment

^^^exactly

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');