• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orange peel still visible after wet-sanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange peel still visible after wet-sanding

Hello all!

I have a british Racing green Jaguar XJS that was stripped to bare metal and repainted a week ago. After that, it was taken to be wet sanded at a detail shop. Sadly, the detailer returned the car to me with terrible holograms from his buffer, which I managed make better with my Porter Cable XP and a mix of Wolfgang Swirl Remover, Meguiars Swirl X and an orange pad.

Now I have been driving the car around, and I have found that I can still see orange peel on the car specially from an angle, and it bothers me a lot. Because of how the car was returned to me, for a moment I assumed the detailer had just "buffed" the orange peel out and not really done the wet-sanding, but upon close inspection there are traces of sanding marks here and there, and the orange peel does get worse around the mirrors and door handles, so it does look like the car was sanded.

I would like to have the car wet sanded again by someone else,but am afraid the clear will thin too much and also that I still wont be satisfied. Is it likely that if the car is sanded again I will see a mirror like reflection from every angle, or am I just wasting my time?

Any help is greaty appreciated

Re: Orange peel still visible after wet-sanding

Pics would be great.

If you or another detailer decide to wet sand it again I would recommend using a paint thickness gauge to see how much clear you have in the areas you want to sand. After the readings you can better gauge what you are working with and make an informed decision.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
    "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

Originally posted by spikepaga View Post
      Hello all!

I have a british Racing green Jaguar XJS that was stripped to bare metal and repainted a week ago. After that, it was taken to be wet sanded at a detail shop. Sadly, the detailer returned the car to me with terrible holograms from his buffer, which I managed make better with my Porter Cable XP and a mix of Wolfgang Swirl Remover, Meguiars Swirl X and an orange pad.

Now I have been driving the car around, and I have found that I can still see orange peel on the car specially from an angle, and it bothers me a lot. Because of how the car was returned to me, for a moment I assumed the detailer had just "buffed" the orange peel out and not really done the wet-sanding, but upon close inspection there are traces of sanding marks here and there, and the orange peel does get worse around the mirrors and door handles, so it does look like the car was sanded.

I would like to have the car wet sanded again by someone else,but am afraid the clear will thin too much and also that I still wont be satisfied. Is it likely that if the car is sanded again I will see a mirror like reflection from every angle, or am I just wasting my time?

Any help is greaty appreciated
      Sad to hear about the bad job.

I hope you have already spoke with the detailing shop to inform them of the issue. If you have not I highly suggest you do so.

Your high hopes for perfection in the paint should not change due to an inability of a certain detailer to achieve it.
      To reach your goal there are many man hours involved. But it can be achieved at a cost.

Also post above about paint thickness is wise.

Comment

Thank you both for your replies. Sadly this "detail" job cost well over 2k, close to 3. Before I had even noticed that orange peel is still visible from certain angles, I went back because of the holograms/swirl marks and his response was that I should use wax to cover them up!! It's sad because this guy also wet-sanded my E type and my daily driver in the past and did a great job. This time not only did the wet-sanding seem too light and the car was marred from his buffer with swirls, but all the glass was filthy as where the wheels, etc. will never again go back. If he thinks that it's acceptable to say that buffer swirl marks need to be covered up with wax, then we have nothing else to talk about. I am just SOL and out of the money I paid for before the job was done.

Back to the car, I do know the painter put several coats in there, not exactly sure how many. I don't own a paint gauge, but if someone can point me to one I can buy, I will since it seems like I am going to have to take matters into my own hands. If anyone can refer me to a good reasonable wet-sander in Houston, please let me know as well. ...Googling "wet-sanding Houston" turns up no results. At this point all I want wet-sanded again is the top half of the fenders, doors and rear panels .

Thanks for your help

Comment

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
          "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

Originally posted by Meticulous-Detail View Post
            Thanks!! For the link. Not too bad $

Well, I have found a detail shop that does much higher end cars than my Jaguars like Rolls Royce's and Lambo's.

They measured the clear with their meter and one fender said "800" and the lowest "230" every other panel was in between......he explained to me that as long as they don't go below "100" the clear will be fine and they can fix my problem. He's getting a quote together for me.

Please share your opinions on this as this is new territory for me. So far I have just played around with my Porter Cable maintaining my cars swirl free and shiny.

Thanks!!

Comment

a paint gage only works if you use it from the beginning unless you buy the 3,000 dollar one that actually tells you how much of CC, Base Coat and primer is there.
              You your average paint gage only tells you the distance from the metal to the gage. So you only going to see what you remove and not what's there.
              I'd just sand in until the OP is gone, you should be fine. But also note you might break through the CC. So it's a guessing game.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Car has now been wet sanded twice and it still looks like garbage. How can I figure out if the problem is in the clear or the base? I don't want to spend more money trying on the clear if the problem is the paint

Comment

pictures will help greatly. it may take oyu taking pictures form many different angles and different light sources, but it would help us greatly.

what color and manufacturer of basecoat? clearcoat manufacturer?

are you seeing orange peel or urethane wave?

Comment

this is a not right you shouldn't have any OP. and you probably don't. OP is removed relatively easily and with 2 sandings I'm sure it's gone. So it's problably something else.
                    You need to post pics so we can see what's going on.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
                      this is a not right you shouldn't have any OP. and you probably don't. OP is removed relatively easily and with 2 sandings I'm sure it's gone. So it's problably something else.
                      You need to post pics so we can see what's going on.
                      Thats sure when you use the right technique on sanding either way you will have it for life :P

Comment

Bummer, sorry to hear your paint adventure has been such a pain.

Normally the way you started out, working with somebody whose work you know and you've been satisfied with before is the best bet for a great job. It's really sad that his service took such a slide downhill.

Originally posted by spikepaga View Post
                        Car has now been wet sanded twice and it still looks like garbage. How can I figure out if the problem is in the clear or the base? I don't want to spend more money trying on the clear if the problem is the paint
                        First off, and I apologize for getting all pedantic, clear is paint. It's unpigmented paint. But it is paint.

Anyway, it's important to understand that the base and clear coats work as a system.

Originally posted by tomsteve View Post
                        pictures will help greatly. it may take oyu taking pictures form many different angles and different light sources, but it would help us greatly.

what color and manufacturer of basecoat? clearcoat manufacturer?...
                        tomsteve is correct to ask about the specifics of the coatings. Most current base/clear systems lay down the base with a matte texture that doesn't have any gloss and the shine and orangepeel come with the clear topcoat. But that's not universal, there are still some systems than can have orangepeel in the base coat. so it would be helpful to know just what is on the car.

But more likely than not, the orangepeel is in the topcoat.

Is the remaining orangepeel everywhere? Or is it just in certain places? It could be that the previous guys just got lazy and didn't put any work into those areas.

pc

Comment

So, if after sanding, buffing and polishing, there is still some OP, is it ok to go back and re-sand those areas? I thought it was not an advisable practice? Is there any special technique required?

Comment

u should posted pics to get better idea of what u talking about

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');