• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stubborn Swirls on New Black Car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stubborn Swirls on New Black Car!

Hello everyone, new to posting but long time reader and Meguiars user! I have recently tried the 3 steep deep crystal system and always have scratch X handy.

I had some time to detail a black 2005 G35 coupe, under 3K miles on it now, so I thought it would be easy by hand. I have been a long time advocate of doing hand details.

I succeed in getting the car cleaner and more reflective then any show room unit. It looks great in indirect sun light, and artificial light, however in very bright direct sunlight there are lots of fine swirls. I think we can thank the dealer "detailers" for this.

I tried the trunk with 3 applications, and LOTS of “passion� with scratchX and it only got a little better, if at all really. There is no way I could do the whole car like that, it would take a week, and still not be near perfect. I have concluded it’s impossible to remove 80-90 of swirls on a black car by hand, more so with a really nice hard clear coat.

Now mind you, the car doesn’t look bad, the dealer was shocked, but I’m a perfectionist by nature and I know these things can come off before the paint does

So, I’m thinking of getting the DA PC G100, and using some 83 on it, then polish, then wax again. Do I need a orbital as well, maybe go over it once with that and the orbital, then again with the G100 with some more 83, then can I go straight to wax instead of the polish?

Last, my local tool center has a PC just like the one on this site, but over $60 less, any difference? Also online for $169.95

Going to get all my pads and polishes from here though. Should I use M-83 DA Cleaner/Polisher, or M-09 swirl remove or what else for the swirl removal stage?

Thanks for all your help, need a new recipe. I figure if I get all this, I can do my silver Corvette for a car show next month as well. Man, silver is the best color for a detailer

I have an 03 Black coupe and experiencing the same results as you. This weekend there is a Meguiars claass in NJ to which I am bringing my G. I know based on the forum here that Rod Kraft will show me what I am doing wrong/right. Also, do you have water spots that are a PIA to remove?

I will report back by Tuesday and give you an update.
    wjfm1
    2003 G35 Coupe

Comment

you can the the porter cable 7336 for 100 at lowes. check it out. I have a black honda coupe and have the same problem. i use #83 and the pc and it comes out great!
      "I drink windex........it keeps me from streaking."

Comment

That's so weird, I have 2005 Black G35 with 2600 miles and I live in TX.

I believe the only difference is the counterweight between the G-100 and 7336. I'm thinking about getting it from lowes for $99. you can always change the counterweight later but I've read the vibration difference is hardly noticeable.

#83 is pretty abrasive, try starting with something more mild like speed glaze #80 or swirl remover #9.

Especially since its a brand new car, the swirls shouldn't be too bad. Since its black, it probably looks worse than it really is.

Comment

Ha, I have the same miles and car, 6spd with the sport package, yes?

Any other advise? I may take a look at lowes, didn't know they had it?

Comment

At lowes they have the

Porter-Cable
            Random Orbit Sander
            Item #: 51472 Model: 7336

It looks the same, variable speed and dual action, but is setup for sanding, how do you get the part that attaches to it so I can use te meguiars polishing pads?

Comment

I have the 7336 from Lowes and the Meguiars attachment fits like a glove with no mods.
              wjfm1
              2003 G35 Coupe

Comment

you will need this Dual-Action Polisher Backing Plates in order to use the velcro buffing pads.

You can also get this DA Velcro Buffing System It comes with the backing plate plus 3 pads. I think you save around $18

Almost!! Mine has the sport package 19" but it's a 5AT.

Comment

Infiniti has been great to me, I have 2, an 03 sedan with 51K miles, and is going to need a before and after makeover to bring it back to new. Its get all our HARD family use, and then my Coupe I use for short trips to work and such. Other then that, I'm a corvette Fenatic and have a heavily modified one, and I fancy the new baby lambo ...one day

Think I'll being doing detailing on the side, its a relaxing escape from my IT/Service related work.

Comment

Re: Stubborn Swirls on New Black Car!

Originally posted by TexDetailer
                    Should I use M-83 DA Cleaner/Polisher, or M-09 swirl remove or what else for the swirl removal stage?
                    Hi TexDetailer,

Order some M80 Speed Glaze and try this product first. M83 is actually pretty aggressive to start with and M09 is usually not aggressive enough. In most cases, M80 Speed Glaze will remove most swirls, sometimes you'll need to apply and work the product a couple of times but it's safe and easy to work with and perfectly prepares the surface for application of wax.
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike. I got my DA PC, and will order a mess of product this weekend in time for a detailing project on 3 of my cars next weekend

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');