• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"soft paint" on classic fiat 124 spider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "soft paint" on classic fiat 124 spider

My Father-in-law has a perfect classic fiat 124 spider in Ferrari Dino blue. But I'm worried that the paint may be soft / unstable.

He doesnt detail his cars so i offered to do the job (he was impressed by my meguiars treatment to his VW Toureg) ... The surface appears to be a single stage finish (i.e. no clearcoat) that was quite marred and swirled in areas (overall appearance is good tho), so I tested a patch with scratchx and the applicator was very blue after a minute or two of polishing. I buffed it off and applied NXT with another applicator, more blue. The final finish was deep and shiny but I'm concerned about so much removal of paint.

Is it too soft? What are his options here? Get it clear-coated?

Any ideas or suggestions welcomed.

BTW its kept in a relatively dry hanger, usually under a car cover.

Will attempt to get shots of it. Thanks.
    Paul

Hi Paul,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

It does indeed sound like the finish on the Fiat is very soft, it's good that you realize this and understand the implications. This is another reason Meguiar's has always taught the philosophy of,

"Always use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

Follow the above philosophy closely, if you don't have to use a paint cleaner, don't. We're looking forward to your pictures.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

It sounds like you had good success with the ScratchX. If want to try something milder you might try A-30 Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner, A-12 Cleaner Wax or ColorX but if it took a minute or two with the ScratchX on a small patch I doubt you'll want to go milder (even for a car the size of a 124 Spyder).

I don't know about the Fiat specifically but one nice thing about old single stage paint it that is was usually pretty thick (compared to today's finishes) when it left the factory. If the car hasn't been polished or compounded in the past you might have plenty of film thickness to work with.

Is he the original owner? Does he know the history of the car?

PC.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');