• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dr. Color Chip: Better then blobs and wet sanding!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dr. Color Chip: Better then blobs and wet sanding!

I have a quick question: Do you think Meg's Body Solvent would be good enough to clean/prep the area? I still have a 32 ounce botte of that stuff.

Comment

Would the simplest method be to clay the area being treated, apply DCC and then SwirlX, polish and wax after the treatment has properly hardened?

i haven't used this product yet but would like to, and also be sure that the process is correct and that I'm not going to mess my cars bonnet (hood) up.

Comment

Originally posted by billoftt View Post
        I have a quick question: Do you think Meg's Body Solvent would be good enough to clean/prep the area? I still have a 32 ounce botte of that stuff.
        yes!

Originally posted by HSD View Post
        Would the simplest method be to clay the area being treated, apply DCC and then SwirlX, polish and wax after the treatment has properly hardened?

i haven't used this product yet but would like to, and also be sure that the process is correct and that I'm not going to mess my cars bonnet (hood) up.
        Once the paint is dry you can do what ever you want to it.
        This car is worth over $200,000 bucks so if it's ok for this car then it's fine for yours

DetailingByM.com

Comment

I guess my question is more, 'Could a clay bar be used to prep the chipped area?' instead of a solvent?

Comment

No clay won't prep the "holes" you have to use a solvent to get into and remove any wax or oily residue for the paint to adhere properly.
            Clay only removes surface contaminates and doesn't remove wax or oils.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

I notice that the Meguiars solvent is only available in a huge container. Can anyone recommend a similar product in let's say no more than a 500ml bottle?

Is a tar remover similar to the solvent?

Thanks

Comment

an IPA will work fine too. your just removing wax and oils.
                DCC comes with a cleaner so you don't have to go and buy any but the DCC kit.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

So they have my car listed but not the color. The front of mine is actually two colors. I see the accent color which is just another color option but I don't see the actual car color.

Comment

Call them. That's what I do. They're really nice

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Will my chip be a good candidate for this system?

Thanks,
                      Wig

Comment

^^^ No. Those are scratches and not chips. DCC doesn't recommend DCC for large scratches. But this doesn't mean you can't try it.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

I've used this system for the first time this weekend and it is very good to use albeit hard to actually completely fill the stone chip. The one issue I have is that after application the paint color appears very matted. As I have a highly glazed metallic finish the Matt effect of the Dr Colorchip kinda shows up.

Does anyone else have this issue when using the system or am I doing something wrong? At this stage I haven't applied any meguiars products in the area where the chips are.

Comment

Originally posted by HSD View Post
                            I've used this system for the first time this weekend and it is very good to use albeit hard to actually completely fill the stone chip. The one issue I have is that after application the paint color appears very matted. As I have a highly glazed metallic finish the Matt effect of the Dr Colorchip kinda shows up.

Does anyone else have this issue when using the system or am I doing something wrong? At this stage I haven't applied any meguiars products in the area where the chips are.
                            Hey HSD, I know this post is right at a year old but just seen this thread and was reading through it. Was interested in the Dr. Color Chip kit as well because it's getting to be normal for me to do paint touch-ups on most of the cars I do. Some come out where I can hardly tell were there were and then most of the times like your experiencing you can tell very easily. But really a touch up is just that, a touch up to help keep scratch or chip from rusting if it goes through to metal or start oxidizing the paint it self over time and also to help from being so unsightly/ugly.

I practice all the time on my test panels to try to always keep on top of my work so my touch up is as good as can be, the reason I checked this thread out. Always trying to learn new technique's and processes. But do have a question for you DetailingByM. You stated that you have to rub hard to get the excess off, and that is instilling more scratches into the paint and on a soft paint that could be a nightmare.

A question was ask, when to apply or in what step. And you responded by telling after the polishing step and before the wax... I haven't tried DR.ColorChip out yet but why wouldn't you do all the touch up's prior to your polishing?

Just curious of your response, seams like that's working backwards if you have to rub harder to remove. Then have to repolish to remove the micro scratches and then take a chance of removing the filled area.

Nice job on the Black Bentley!
                            ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
                            You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
                            Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');