• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Wrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Wrap

Recently, I saw a few matte black cars in the street. I talked to one of the owners and he told me that his car was actually "wrapped".

I assume this car wrap treatment is like a clear bra but applied to the whole car. Since the wrap is applied on top of the paint and clear coat, would there be any longer term impact to the paint (underneath the wrap)?

Re: Car Wrap

from http://www.wraptivo.com/faq.aspx:

Q: Can Wraptivo affect my current paint job?

A: If an owner or installer applies Wraptivo correctly and on to a clean FACTORY CURED surface, then it should not affect the paint of your vehicle. In fact, Wraptivo designer car wraps by Meguiar's can actually protect your car from environmental and UV damage. We do recommend that Wraptivo only be applied to cars with factory paint which have been cured to stringent standards. Wraptivo is not recommended for aftermarket painted surfaces.

Comment

Meg's discontinued "wraptivo" a couple years ago. Most who wrap, use 3M or Avery. You want a "cast" film as they are easier to apply and have less adhesive. Some wraps are "self-healing". Because the wrap is vinyl, it can be scratched relatively easy. The self-healing refers to the wraps ability to shrink and expand based on the climate and fend-off scratches.

Some also choose to top the wrap with your typical LSP of wax and/or coatings. I was looking into wrapping my roof gloss black but everyone I talked to said wraps last a couple of years. I saw one roof wrap that looked like clear cloat failure as the wrap was deteriorating. For those reasons, I choose to stick with coatings/wax.

Comment

They won't damage the CC, at least not in a visible way but do keep in mind that some sort of adhesive must be used during application so there will be residuals . I'm not talking about nasty marks and things but the car will need a complete degrease and alc wipe should you decide to remove the wrap in the future.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');